Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrade 5-seat to 7-seat configuration?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As far as I know, no. There was a similar discussion few months ago.

You'll get these responses:
- try aftermarket shop, but likely can't get parts from Tesla. Even if retrofitted your warranty is voided.
- trade it in for 7 seats
- get another spare car/minivan to carry 7.

Pull a Fred Fintstone and put Bam Bam and Pebbles on the roof.

I'm almost certain that there is not another way.

Unfortunately, Tesla has a "my way or the highway" approach. I find their attitude towards upgrades poor at best.

A great car should have great aftermarket support from the manufacturer, but Tesla hasn't figured that out yet.

Personally, I love my 5 seat and would not change it.

Best,

T

They may look the same, but does the 5 seater have the ability to quickly fold and move the seat forward for ingress into the third row?

The 5 seater lacks HVAC vents into the section of the car.
Yep.

The 5-seater bench doesn't slide forward, which would make it near impossible to reach the 3rd row. (And you'd lose the additional storage where the 3rd row seat sits.)

As far as I know, no. There was a similar discussion few months ago.

You'll get these responses:
- try aftermarket shop, but likely can't get parts from Tesla. Even if retrofitted your warranty is voided.
Whenever I see the statement that something "voids your warranty" I feel compelled to point out that, no, it does not. No car manufacturer can just void a warranty. It's more nuanced than that. It has to be related to the item being covered within a warranty. Replacing the second row seats doesn't impact anything in the warranty that has nothing to do with the second row seats. See the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

Whenever I see the statement that something "voids your warranty" I feel compelled to point out that, no, it does not. No car manufacturer can just void a warranty. It's more nuanced than that. It has to be related to the item being covered within a warranty. Replacing the second row seats doesn't impact anything in the warranty that has nothing to do with the second row seats. See the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.
How about Tesla voiding warranty on works done by non-authorized Tesla body shops? Is that not the case too?