Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost of Drive Unit Replacement?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You seriously bumped a post about a perfectly reasonable question, one which you'd see I already answered myself were you not in such a hurry to get here and post this, so that you could snidely tell me to call Tesla? Are all 1,131 of your other posts equally as useless as this one was.

When I made this post I had called Tesla. Thanks so much for your input. It's been truly invaluable.
Your welcome. Now I have one more post

Has anyone paid for a drive unit replacement out of pocket? Our 2013 S85 with 90K miles starting making rotational noise at low speeds under load for the last few months. Last week, we got the dreaded "car needs service" warning, followed by a systems check, "Acceleration and top speed reduced," and "Regenerative Braking System Disabled."

I dropped it off at our local SC about 2 weeks earlier than my appt and was told a diagnostic would be done ASAP. I'm told a new drive unit is on order and my car should be ready by Jan 8th. I'm sure I'm getting a reman drive unit and was wondering if there were improvements made to prevent this issue in the future.

Has anyone paid for a drive unit replacement out of pocket? Our 2013 S85 with 90K miles starting making rotational noise at low speeds under load for the last few months. Last week, we got the dreaded "car needs service" warning, followed by a systems check, "Acceleration and top speed reduced," and "Regenerative Braking System Disabled."

I dropped it off at our local SC about 2 weeks earlier than my appt and was told a diagnostic would be done ASAP. I'm told a new drive unit is on order and my car should be ready by Jan 8th. I'm sure I'm getting a reman drive unit and was wondering if there were improvements made to prevent this issue in the future.

If you are getting a DU replaced wouldn't that be covered under warranty? 8 years, 100K miles I thought.

If you are getting a DU replaced wouldn't that be covered under warranty? 8 years, 100K miles I thought.

Yes. I was told when I dropped off the car that both my Tesla used car warranty (good for another 10K/1yr) and driveunit/battery warranty (expires on 11/2021) were active. The Service Advisor said the repairs shouldn't cost me a thing unless it was result of damage done by us. We were contacted a few days later that the drive unit will be replaced (I assume under warranty). From what I gather, the revised drive units use ceramic bearings that should have a tighter tolerance than the old ones. I'll update this thread when I get the car back with an explanation of work done.

I also asked them to advise me on the SAS components because the 2018 S75D SAS dampens and rolls substantially less than our car, but they wanted $180 to inspect the suspension. I asked for some clarity that the $180 would be for solely a suspension inspection or a whole vehicle inspection. They responded that the $180 would be applied to any future repairs.

Since they failed to answer my question posed, I declined their offer since I'd probably be unsatisfied with what they consider an inspection. I'll have my mechanic friend take a look instead.

Last edited:
I had my DU replaced in August on a 2014 P85+ in may. It was Under warranty and replaced with a refurbed unit and works wonderfully. Had the links relubricated but that needs to be done again, noise came back but not a big deal to me.

I understand a big rear motor is $4500 now

also since I use Brooks Motors in Fremont, I just found out they can and are happy to service out of warranty cars at a $95/hr rate vs Tesla’s $175/hr rate. And they have access to unrestricted and restricted parts without issue.

thus how I am able to get the missing parts from my totaled P85 from Jan 2018 where I salvaged my RFS. I even recently replaced my underbody air stakes ($75 each X4) at cost and no labor due to worn out parts.

I’ll ask next week for battery and DU costs. Will get 90Kw cost.

Btw, model S dash alcantara vs vinyl are the same price ($895). Changing headliner to black would set me back $1200 but you need to remove the front windshield to replace it plus wire harness swap. Guess I’ll skip those conversions

Hey all, hypothetical question here. Does anyone know what Tesla is charging for drive unit replacements when paid out of pocket? I realize this doesn't apply to pretty much any 85kwh with the exception of salvage cars that have been re-certified and so I can't find any kind of mention of it with the exception of people saying they think it costs $15,000 and those posts are from 2013. I imagine things have changed since then.

Does anyone have a more solid number than $15,000? If the customer is paying out of pocket does Tesla try to replace the broken component in the DU to be cost effective or do they still approach it as a singular non-serviceable part that requires replacement regardless of fault?

Hey all, hypothetical question here. Does anyone know what Tesla is charging for drive unit replacements when paid out of pocket? I realize this doesn't apply to pretty much any 85kwh with the exception of salvage cars that have been re-certified and so I can't find any kind of mention of it with the exception of people saying they think it costs $15,000 and those posts are from 2013. I imagine things have changed since then.

Does anyone have a more solid number than $15,000? If the customer is paying out of pocket does Tesla try to replace the broken component in the DU to be cost effective or do they still approach it as a singular non-serviceable part that requires replacement regardless of fault?
6000 for drive unit 417 labor to install completed 10-30-2021 at Tesla service center also drive unit is a t series now

• Informative
Reactions: Yurand