Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Class action for Model S drive unit failure?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want to thank you for the extensive knowledge you share with all if us. Although I really love our S, that LDU puzzle makes me think of a new S or Y as I hate the idea of perpetually have to suffer such random failures. I was really hoping there would be eventual third party solutions but this new info you just kindly shared with us makes that rather dim in my humble opinion. So thanks once more. Cheers

I had a RDU failure after 8 months and less than 5K miles in my 2023 Model S, so don't think the grass is greener over here.

• Informative
Reactions: cleverscreenam
After my third drive unit failure in less than 100,000 miles, I'm checking on a class-action against Tesla. This equates to a gas car blowing an entire engine every 33,000 miles. The Tesla shop will not provide the old DU even after a non-warranty repair, because they say "Tesla owns the old parts". I can never get a failed drive unit for an expert failure mode analysis, but having seen others who did this they report a consistent finding: Tesla mis-engineered the seals allowing coolant to leak into the DU over time, causing failure consistently, basically a guarantee. Failure in my case was sudden and catastrophic with no warning, while driving down a busy highway. This dangerous fault is also a major profit source for the repair centers which is something Elon Musk was absolutely adamant would not happen. He also touted his million-mile motor from the start. The DU failure is likely to happen beyond the warranty, bringing in $7000 to the repair center. If you had a gas vehicle that blew its engine every 33,000 miles, there would be a lawsuit. I'm wondering if a class action has already been filed or if there are enough people to start one?
What model and year car do you have? You left that out.

But you've had very bad luck it seems. All of them replaced under warranty?

After my third drive unit failure in less than 100,000 miles, I'm checking on a class-action against Tesla. This equates to a gas car blowing an entire engine every 33,000 miles. The Tesla shop will not provide the old DU even after a non-warranty repair, because they say "Tesla owns the old parts". I can never get a failed drive unit for an expert failure mode analysis, but having seen others who did this they report a consistent finding: Tesla mis-engineered the seals allowing coolant to leak into the DU over time, causing failure consistently, basically a guarantee. Failure in my case was sudden and catastrophic with no warning, while driving down a busy highway. This dangerous fault is also a major profit source for the repair centers which is something Elon Musk was absolutely adamant would not happen. He also touted his million-mile motor from the start. The DU failure is likely to happen beyond the warranty, bringing in $7000 to the repair center. If you had a gas vehicle that blew its engine every 33,000 miles, there would be a lawsuit. I'm wondering if a class action has already been filed or if there are enough people to start one?
My rear DU just went out again.

This is the 3rd one within 3.5 years... All were replaced due to the same issue. Coolant leaking into the electrical side of the DU.

1st one died at 79k miles (Feb 2020)
2nd at 108k miles (July 2022)
3rd at 149k miles (Nov 2023)

The warranty expired at the end of September of this year.

I'm going to see if they'll replace it because it's been barely a year & a half with 41k miles...

They should honor the 4yr or 50k-mile part replacement warranty even if it was replaced under warranty (JUST MY OPINION)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 70
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 46
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 43
Reactions: cwerdna and hydro
I'm going to see if they'll replace it because it's been barely a year & a half with 41k miles...

They should honor the 4yr or 50k-mile part replacement warranty even if it was replaced under warranty (JUST MY OPINION)
Good luck with that. The factory warranty has a hard-cut off, no extensions for any reason. If you get a drive unit replaced today, your car goes out of warranty tomorrow, and then the drive unit fails they will let you know that if you want it repaired that you have to pay for it. (There might be an odd manager that would go against corporate, but I have yet to see anyone report that happening.)

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
What's your point? It isn't uncommon to see a failure reported for any product even shortly after it was purchased. (Phones, appliances, cars, power tools, etc.) Things fail, that is what warranties are for.
I beg to differ if earlier purchasers of Teslas drove them near the mileage warranty there would be many more failures. earlier folk had low mileage cars due to expense of the vehicle and range anxiety. If the cars were driven near warranty mileage warranty, Tesla would be paying out the $%# for warranty repairs and the "that's what the warranty is for" chanter would be singing a different tune.

• Funny
Reactions: ucmndd
It actually seems like cars that aren't driven much are much more likely to have the large drive units fail. (My guess is that this is because sitting for long periods of time allows the coolant/contaminants to dry on to the shaft and/or seal, and then when you drive it that build up damages the seal, allowing it to leak a little. Lather-rinse-repeat.)
Yeah design flaw.

Good luck with that. The factory warranty has a hard-cut off, no extensions for any reason. If you get a drive unit replaced today, your car goes out of warranty tomorrow, and then the drive unit fails they will let you know that if you want it repaired that you have to pay for it. (There might be an odd manager that would go against corporate, but I have yet to see anyone report that happening.)

Repairs made under warranty that fail right after the warranty expires are considered failed repairs under magnuson-moss.

My 2015 P85D is still running around on the original DUs at just about 200K and the original battery which was L upgraded at 17K miles. The buyer was hoping all 3 would fail before the 8 year unlimited mileage warranty expired. No such luck.
I don't think the dual motor cars are really an issue (2 small drive units), but rather it's the RWD cars with the Large drive units that are a serious issue.

Gotcha. My fault.

That said, I think your idea might still have merit. I recall discussion years ago from some source that the performance DU's which are manufactured identically to the non performance units are marked performance simply from binning. i.e. units that are measured to have tighter tolerance and other metrics associated with better units are binned for performance models.

This was interesting. Especially for me.
My 2017 model s p100d is going in Monday (15th)
for the exact vibration under any acceleration over 50%. Does anyone have any tips on how to address this with the SC? Car has 80k so still well under "drive unit" warranty but if I've read all these comments correctly do i assume this problem will not be covered ? Is there any chance they will consider this a drive unit problem? Would it be at all helpful to bring in the Tesla service bulletin?
There is no way I would pay this much if it could be a repeating problem.
Any thoughts?

This was interesting. Especially for me.
My 2017 model s p100d is going in Monday (15th)
for the exact vibration under any acceleration over 50%. Does anyone have any tips on how to address this with the SC? Car has 80k so still well under "drive unit" warranty but if I've read all these comments correctly do i assume this problem will not be covered ? Is there any chance they will consider this a drive unit problem? Would it be at all helpful to bring in the Tesla service bulletin?
There is no way I would pay this much if it could be a repeating problem.
Any thoughts?
Did someone else mention vibration in this thread? If you have the symptoms in the video at New Model X - Did they fix the shudder problem? starting at 1:40, that's an example of the infamous Model X shudder problem. The solution for them is to replace the half shafts, which aren't covered under the drive unit warranty.

I can't speak to whether the long running Model X shudder problem exists on the S and in what seems to be a widespread manner. I just found this Model S thread: Do you have shudder on hard acceleration? AKA death rattle?. Clunking sound is costing me a bundle to fix out of warranty has some half shaft replacement costs for the S from 2017.

Let us know what they say next week.

Last edited: