Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost of gasoline

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had to put some gas in the truck which I seldom drive any more and was shocked that it cost $40.00 for only 11 gallons of gas, to fill it less than half. Down here in Texas thats probably cheap compared to California and other places. Some day soon I'll get around to calculating how far my model Y can go on $40 at $0.15 per KWH just so I can know and laugh in my mind about these guys with their empty bed big ass trucks. Yeah, I know some have to pull a boat or occasionally load up with a lawn mower or furniture or who knows what, but I do remember on the rare occasion of needing a truck I'd borrow the company truck. Maybe we need more companies to have a company truck they could lend out.

Last edited:
Maybe we need more companies to have a company truck they could lend out.

In the U.S., my understanding is that fuel efficiency regulations were written to target commuter vehicles and exclude (or at least give a lot more leeway to) trucks and maybe SUVs.

For this reason, auto manufacturers more heavily manufactured and marketed bigger vehicles, which in turn created a public that learned to prefer these larger and less efficient vehicles.

Talk about a backfire... the very laws made to reduce fossil fuel consumption played a key role in significantly increasing fossil fuel consumption.

I strongly believe that with a bit of reflection, people will start to see the value of smaller vehicles again. And you're spot on that good truck rental availability (maybe even government subsidized) would serve most consumer needs.

Most of those big truck beds look brand new, years after purchase. Maybe they get used once or twice a year.

Reactions: cleverscreenam
Had to put some gas in the truck which I seldom drive any more and was shocked that it cost $40.00 for only 11 gallons of gas, to fill it less than half. Down here in Texas thats probably cheap compared to California and other places. Some day soon I'll get around to calculating how far my model Y can go on $40 at $0.15 per KWH just so I can know and laugh in my mind about these guys with their empty bed big ass trucks. Yeah, I know some have to pull a boat or occasionally load up with a lawn mower or furniture or who knows what, but I do remember on the rare occasion of needing a truck I'd borrow the company truck. Maybe we need more companies to have a company truck they could lend out.
2 thoughts went through my mind.

1) $40 for 11 gallons?!

IMG_1037.jpeg

(~$6/gallon in my area. j/p 😁 )

B) Depends on the use case, but $40 can get you about 800-1,000 miles @$0.15/kWh. Less when factoring in weather, [aggressive] driving style, sentry mode, hilly terrain etc.

Just pumped gas today. $81 for 22 gallons.

Here was the experience:
  • Credit or Debit: Credit
  • Would you like a carwash?: No
  • Receipt: No
  • Rewards member?: No
  • Insert card... ... ... ... ...
  • Choose fuel: regular... regular... regular... the button's not working. Press really hard REGULAR. Phew, it worked.
  • Stand there for 4 minutes in the cold.
And that wasn't even one of the ones with screens playing loud, obnoxious commercials. Man, I will not miss gas stations when they're finally gone

Reactions: cleverscreenam