Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Costco Bridgestone Run-Flat Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Or carry an awl in case the screw or nail which caused the puncture was too short to penetrate the foam liner. Simply deepen the hole with the thin, 2 mm round head awl and the foam will find its way to the hole. Also carry decent thin nosed pliers and screwdriver to remove the nail/screw. However, if the hole diameter is greater than 5mm, the foam probably won't work. I am not sure of the puncture repair plugs' limitations in this regard.
Even if you do not have space for a Modern Spare, be sure to have have pucks on board in case of wheel removal by someone not puck-equipped.
It happened to me with a previous car, fortunately I had mine.
The foam liner is a sound deadening treatment and is not designed to seal leaks. When plugging a puncture you could use a conventional tire plug, kit. The foam liner can interfere with the liquid tire sealant by preventing sufficient sealant from flowing into the puncture site to seal the leak.

Reactions: zoomer0056
The foam liner is a sound deadening treatment and is not designed to seal leaks. When plugging a puncture you could use a conventional tire plug, kit. The foam liner can interfere with the liquid tire sealant by preventing sufficient sealant from flowing into the puncture site to seal the leak.

The idea is that puncture repair foam may not reach the hole if the offending object has not penetrated the foam in which case you need to deepen the hole with something like an awl to penetrate the foam. Much easier than using plugs. You can have the professions remove the tyre at your local (or any) and make a permanent repair with an internal patch.
See Youtube "Ben Vallack" video on repairing a Model Y puncture with foam.
It is really simple and the foam was not inhibited by the acoustic lining. Save buggering about with plugs unless that is your preference. I'm not into cat skinning but I accept that......😃

Thank, I've wondered whether I should get these - I'll order a set from Tesmanian. I note when I take my MY to Les Schwab (West Coast tire chain), They don't use jack pads. When I asked about it, they said with their flat lifting pad they don't need them.?
O.K. then. I really can't comment on their jacks. The pucks are more about any jack that you, a roadside service guy or any other garage might use.

I used Continental sealant (water based) once (Nissan Leaf), on a non-foam lined tire. Sealant worked exactly as described. The seal lasted for 10 days before I decided to have the tire patched/plugged from the inside.

When the tech removed the tire, there was still some milk colored sealant sloshing around. He hosed out the tire/wheel, all the sealant appeared to wash away. The position of the TPMS keeps it from getting plugged, as all the sealant gets slung around the tire, beneath the tread, away from the valve/TPMS.

There might be a risk to the TPMS when the sealant is pumped INTO the tire, through the valve, but there was no damage to the valve/TPMS in my experience.

YMMV

I used Continental sealant (water based) once (Nissan Leaf), on a non-foam lined tire. Sealant worked exactly as described. The seal lasted for 10 days before I decided to have the tire patched/plugged from the inside.

When the tech removed the tire, there was still some milk colored sealant sloshing around. He hosed out the tire/wheel, all the sealant appeared to wash away. The position of the TPMS keeps it from getting plugged, as all the sealant gets slung around the tire, beneath the tread, away from the valve/TPMS.

There might be a risk to the TPMS when the sealant is pumped INTO the tire, through the valve, but there was no damage to the valve/TPMS in my experience.

YMMV
Risk to TPMS! Good point. However, from your experience, probably not an issue. TPMS has been around so long that we might of heard about any problems and the foam can would warn us off.

Flat lifting pad? Is the battery designed to take the weight of the car?
The repair shop uses a four point floor lift that has four moveable lifting arms. There are flat shaped pads at the end of each of the lift arms. Jack pads are not needed with a four point floor lift. It is important that the arms of the floor lift are correctly positioned under the lift points of the vehicle. This is true for any vehicle, critical for the Tesla vehicles to prevent damaging the battery case.

The repair shop uses a four point floor lift that has four moveable lifting arms. There are flat shaped pads at the end of each of the lift arms. Jack pads are not needed with a four point floor lift. It is important that the arms of the floor lift are correctly positioned under the lift points of the vehicle. This is true for any vehicle, critical for the Tesla vehicles to prevent damaging the battery case.
However, smaller tyre fitters, rather than service garages, tend to use various trolley jacks which may not all have the best lifting surface. I always carried a model specific puck ( when such was available) for my BMWs. There were only two occasions when they saw action but that totally justified their existence; not only do they provide, when such is required, a safe lifting surface, but also, because they fit into a hole or recess, their use ensures that the scissor or trolley jack is correctly positioned.
But then, I am on the belt and braces spectrum, which does not mean that I totally avoid cock ups (for US chums, this latter, does not mean chicken deliveries)

However, smaller tyre fitters, rather than service garages, tend to use various trolley jacks which may not all have the best lifting surface. I always carried a model specific puck ( when such was available) for my BMWs. There were only two occasions when they saw action but that totally justified their existence; not only do they provide, when such is required, a safe lifting surface, but also, because they fit into a hole or recess, their use ensures that the scissor or trolley jack is correctly positioned.
But then, I am on the belt and braces spectrum, which does not mean that I totally avoid cock ups (for US chums, this latter, does not mean chicken deliveries)
Exactly; you really only need one lift puck. A lift puck can be used when raising the Tesla Model Y using a low profile floor jack that has a metal cup at the end of the lift arm. The lift puck serves to locate the correct lift point. The metal cup on the arm of the floor jack surrounds, captures the lift puck to help prevent any sliding of the lift arm when raising the vehicle. I purchased one aluminum low profile jack pad (lift puck) made for the Tesla Model Y from Reverse Logic.

Reverse Logic Limited

Exactly; you really only need one lift puck. A lift puck can be used when raising the Tesla Model Y using a low profile floor jack that has a metal cup at the end of the lift arm. The lift puck serves to locate the correct lift point. The metal cup on the arm of the floor jack surrounds, captures the lift puck to help prevent any sliding of the lift arm when raising the vehicle. I purchased one aluminum low profile jack pad (lift puck) made for the Tesla Model Y from Reverse Logic.

Reverse Logic Limited
The Jack Puck! If ever a digression from the thread subject was done to death........

As to my part in this tragic sequence,
I plead guilty without any mitigation to this and the to the case of the Tyre Repair Foam's prolongation ad nauseam.