Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Could I drive my car into a wall? If I wanted to.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will our cars allow us to drive it into a wall? If we wanted to do so.

I am not considering doing this.

Will the car prevent this from happening?

I realize this is a silly question...
There are toggle settings for object detection and such. Also if you're pressing on the accelerator to manually override the TACC speed setting by going above the set-point you also get an ongoing warning that AP will not apply braking to override the speed.

Good chance you'll get warnings, it'll screech and flash red at you, and maybe even blunt your acceleration some, but the AP's design philosophy has manual control by the driver at the top of the hierarchy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Saghost and dfwatt
There is a video of a guy driving his model 3 into a dry cleaner.

So the answer is no, the car will not prevent you from hitting a wall.

There was also a thread not too long ago about a person complaining that his tesla did not stop him from driving into his garage door. The original thread title and post by that OP was making it out to be that there was something wrong with the tesla. After more questioning from people in the thread, it came out that the OP of that thread was basically complaining that the car "let" him drive into the garage door and should have stopped him.

So, yes you can drive into a wall. The car will likely try to lessen impact, but there almost certainly will be impact.

Reactions: SammichLover
There are toggle settings for object detection and such. Also if you're pressing on the accelerator to manually override the TACC speed setting by going above the set-point you also get an ongoing warning that AP will not apply braking to override the speed.

Good chance you'll get warnings, it'll screech and flash red at you, and maybe even blunt your acceleration some, but the AP's design philosophy has manual control by the driver at the top of the hierarchy.

Well framed. The emergency braking (if that option is toggled on in the menu) will stop the car if you are not overriding it by pressing on the accelerator, and if in AP the AEB is active regardless of how that toggle is set. So, unfortunately, or fortunately depending on your feelings about machine control and decision making, it is not idiot proof. I wonder how many people don't know to turn the AEB on? It has no down sides, except for the occasional false detection of phantom objects from within AP, but I've never seen it apply more than regen braking for a second or so. In other words, never seen the emergency braking involving the friction brakes activated by a false signal. Obviously if it did, would be very serious liability of the AP systems.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: hcdavis3