TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Could speakers be damaged at maximum volume?

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by Wolf_Mack, Dec 19, 2019.

1. Wolf_Mack

Wolf_Mack New Member

I have a 8-month-old MR M3 and the other night I was reversing and my jacket sleeve caught the volume wheel and cranked the stereo all the way up (much to the delight of my wife and kids!) Since then, the stereo doesn't sound the same. The bass seems a little muffled when it used to sound deep. I don't hear any crackling or popping, just not as much 'performance' as before. Am I imagining this? On a similar note, would the stereo be covered under warranty? Thanks

2. 5_+JqckQttqck

5_+JqckQttqck Active Member

Limited new vehicle warranty should cover it. It's suppose to work at those volume levels - otherwise why even offer it?

If the SC has another car with the same sound system. Couldn't hurt to try. Unless you damaged your ears and perceive the sound as muffled* knock on wood*.

3. C141medic

C141medic Active Member

Doesn’t Sentry mode max out the radio volume if activated? Other forum members mentioned that the electronics/software should prevent a speaker blowout?

4. dww12

dww12 Supporting Member

Try a reboot. It did that to me once when I took a song to 11 that was also recorded hot, reboot fixed it.

5. Casmium

Casmium Member

Also this happens if it's very cold, not sure what the weather is like we're you are but I do remember last winter having that issue

6. Wolf_Mack

Wolf_Mack New Member

Curious - what song did you take to 11? I (accidentally) cranked Bon Jovi. If I blew my speakers because of Bon Jovi I will be quite sad.

• Funny x 1
  7. Wolf_Mack

Wolf_Mack New Member

Thx