Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Couple of questions regarding a third party Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good afternoon to everyone - been a while since I've posted on here! Been keeping my eye on buying a Tesla ever since my wife and I decided to pass on our model 3 reservation all that time ago. We've found a used model S for sale at a dealership here and I have a quick question or two that I havent been able to find a reliable answer to.

The car is a 2018 S75D - and we have spent the good portion of an hour walking around, looking it over, and test driving the car. Aside from the screen yellowing issue - this car appears to be a solid vehicle and something I'm considering seriously. The kicker, is that dealerships in my state never really see Teslas since we dont have service centers or hardly any superchargers, so they seem to know less about the car than I do. My main question is regarding the plastic cover near the frunk that opens up to some internals - on this specific vehicle it is missing. The car has a clean carfax and no known issues, but I find it odd that this piece was removed, I cant help but wonder if someone tried to service something. Can anyone provide any insight into what is under than front apron cover - and what I could possibly look out for since its missing?

My other question, which I'm sure I could find - is how does warranty and ownership through Tesla take place when you purchase third party? Since this dealership isnt the original owner - is getting the car on my tesla account and getting the warranty transfered a difficult process or should this be a non-factor when considering the purchase of this car?

Thanks ahead of time for the help

12V Battery, the Firemans Loop to disconnect the cars power & Cabin Air Filter are up there under the cover (just below the windshield)
Missing maybe because the pervious owner lost it or broke it.

Ownership and warranty should transfer over as long as the dealership knows what they are doing. They need to let tesla know that the car is going to a new owner as you would have access to the car through the Tesla app.

This is going to be brief. That missing cover is probably down next to the fog light on the left side. Cover for access to the connector to power with 9V to open the Frunk.

The dealership you are referring to, most likely did not tell Tesla (what we call register with Tesla) that they have the car. The car is probably in the owner's name with Tesla that turned it in to that dealership. (And that's a good thing.)

Check the build date on this '18. Look on the corner of the sticker on the driver side door opening. MM/YY will tell you. If it was build after 03/18 is a better '18 than one built before. You want MCU2 if you are buying used between one with and one not.

Create a Tesla account, on tesla.com. There's features now under "account" where you can get support to add the car to your account. That will give you remote access to features (nice to have), and it will insure warranty gets put under your name. The car needs to be registered with Tesla in your name for you to take it in for service, or Supercharger at Superchargers.

Read Owner’s Manual Companion – TeslaTap

• Helpful
Reactions: GWord
If it’s with MCU1, you can upgrade it now for new version (MCU2). And as you mention it is also with yellow border on screen you will get new whole unit for about $2500 (included in the upgrade) which gives possibilty to ask price reduction.

Reactions: Akikiki