Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO - 2014 S85 vs 2014 P85

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife and I own a 2016 S75 and love it. Our son is considering a CPO 2014 S85 with 20k miles or a CPO 2014 P85 with 40k miles. We would appreciate any insight anyone can give regarding which may hold its value better going forward. Neither car has AP1. Also, for those that have driven both and S and P version, do you feel the P is still worth it after time has gone by?

I would go with the non performance version - after the initial thrills wear off, you are stuck with a lower range car. Maybe in a year or so, it won't make much of a difference, but I have needed the extra range to hit some of the superchargers. I have a 2014 S 85 without autopilot and love it. The acceleration is quite sufficient.

Brent

Reactions: JPUConn
I bought a P car although I was originally looking at an S85. The acceleration difference is significant and I am really glad I have the P car vs the regular S. (I had a regular S85 classic as a loaner for a week so I have compared the two).

If you aren't getting AP I would totally go for the P badge. Both cars are CPOs so you get the exact same warranty, so mileage doesn't matter as much.

Edit: I think the value on both cars over time will be the same. Unless you are looking at a P85+ or a 2012 Sig Red with white interior or something.

I have a 2013 CPO P85. While the P may be more fun, 90% of the time I don't use the extra power. If pricing is nominally different, the P is fine, but if it requires a decent premium a standard 85 is fine. Also, depends on your son, maybe you don't want his to have the extra power.

Thank you all for your responses! They're very helpful.

I have a 2013 CPO P85. While the P may be more fun, 90% of the time I don't use the extra power. If pricing is nominally different, the P is fine, but if it requires a decent premium a standard 85 is fine. Also, depends on your son, maybe you don't want his to have the extra power.

I should have given more detail - my son is 33 and buying it for himself - I'm just trying to help him make his decision :)

Very happy with our non-P S85 via CPO.
As a performance enthusiast coming from many >>300HP cars, the performance of the "regular" 85 is "plenty".

Drove a P85 loaner, and frankly, that car could not get the power down, too much HP for too little tire.
Especially in Canada where half the year I'm on (Hakka R2's) snow tires, having 150 less HP is a blessing.

This is all so subjective, but FWIW I went through a similar decision process last year and I ended up getting a CPO '14 P85+. For me, the driving experience b/w the P and non-P cars is night and day different, there's really no comparison (and the + adds to that significantly). The fact that you (or in this case, your son) are trying to decide which one is right for you, I have to assume you value performance, in which case you really already have your answer.

California is a different place to drive than Northern US (OP is from Illinois) and Canada where the pavement temperatures preclude getting 450HP down without wheel spin constantly when temperatures are below 10C, which is the case pretty much 1/2 of the year in these parts. On a rainy (or even moist) day, the power in the P RWD is useless. Winter, forget it, no difference.