Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO buying – anyone else having extreme difficulty with Tesla UK ?!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m curious to know if there are other folks out there having fun n games trying to get Tesla UK to delivery up a CPO Model S, 2 months after paying the deposit.

Since securing the car online, its been a non stop tale of woe with appallingly bad communication. The photos that eventually turned up showed that the spec was significantly different to what was described. I then had to wait another week to get to actually speak to someone, and have since attempted around 20+ phone call calls and waited for around 4-5 hrs on hold, listening to dinkly music and a message saying how busy they are. The dozens of emails are one-way as they rarely get answered, same goes for voice mails. If someone does answer the damn UK contact number its always some super-positive apologetic sales person .. but I still don’t get any definitive answers to specific questions like ‘when is delivery likely’ or ‘where is it’ or ‘does it actually exist’ .. and even ‘can I have my deposit back’

Whats ironic is that a colleague configured and ordered a new M3 in late October, almost the same time as I paid the CPO deposit, and yet he took delivery of his new car yesterday. And all I’m trying to do is buy a used car that should take a day or two to sort out. Word on the grapevine is that Tesla have been struggling with migrating their internal software to SAP .. and its fallen flat, totally preventing invoices to be raised, and lots of contractors are getting rich sorting out the usual SAP problems. But I find it hard to believe they haven’t got a temporary purchase mechanism in place, or why they can't use the M3 invoicing system etc etc.

So .. are there any other CPO buyers out there who have also been kept waiting more than 6 weeks to just buy a 2nd hand car .. ???

Thats really not acceptable. The car would have depreciated a few hundred in that time. I have not got any experience buying CPO with Tesla but how hard can it be to sell a stock car which a buyer have paid before seeing it? A BMW or Mercedes dealer would have bent backwards to seal the deal.

I’m curious to know if there are other folks out there having fun n games trying to get Tesla UK to delivery up a CPO Model S, 2 months after paying the deposit.

Since securing the car online, its been a non stop tale of woe with appallingly bad communication. The photos that eventually turned up showed that the spec was significantly different to what was described. I then had to wait another week to get to actually speak to someone, and have since attempted around 20+ phone call calls and waited for around 4-5 hrs on hold, listening to dinkly music and a message saying how busy they are. The dozens of emails are one-way as they rarely get answered, same goes for voice mails. If someone does answer the damn UK contact number its always some super-positive apologetic sales person .. but I still don’t get any definitive answers to specific questions like ‘when is delivery likely’ or ‘where is it’ or ‘does it actually exist’ .. and even ‘can I have my deposit back’

Whats ironic is that a colleague configured and ordered a new M3 in late October, almost the same time as I paid the CPO deposit, and yet he took delivery of his new car yesterday. And all I’m trying to do is buy a used car that should take a day or two to sort out. Word on the grapevine is that Tesla have been struggling with migrating their internal software to SAP .. and its fallen flat, totally preventing invoices to be raised, and lots of contractors are getting rich sorting out the usual SAP problems. But I find it hard to believe they haven’t got a temporary purchase mechanism in place, or why they can't use the M3 invoicing system etc etc.

So .. are there any other CPO buyers out there who have also been kept waiting more than 6 weeks to just buy a 2nd hand car .. ???

CPO sales were useless two years ago and now this looks completely ridiculous, they are severely sacrificing customer service for saving money.

There should be laws to prevent BS from companies acting this

Yes, I’ve read a number of posts from people in exactly the same position. Tesla always been rubbish at CPO, they aren’t interested in anything other than selling new cars.

I’m afraid I’ve nothing positive to add, they make a great car but the rest of the company is an object lesson on how not to run a business.

Thats really not acceptable. The car would have depreciated a few hundred in that time. I have not got any experience buying CPO with Tesla but how hard can it be to sell a stock car which a buyer have paid before seeing it? A BMW or Mercedes dealer would have bent backwards to seal the deal.

It’s sad to read so many other threads on TMC about the appallingly bad after sales support from Tesla UK. I put in another call this morning to the number shown on my account for delivery enquiries .. and after 35 minutes of being on hold … I terminated the call. An email has not yet been responded to either, and a voice mail direct to my ‘sales advocate’ has disappeared into a blackhole messaging system. You’d think they don’t want my money or sumthin ..

When I bought my Roadster in 2011, Tesla UK was tiny - there was about 15 UK employees and very direct / personal support almost 24/7 and ranger service chaps on your door the next morning with a spare car, not that the car had any big problems in the 4 yrs I owned it. When I moved into a previous MS in 2017, the company had grown massively with a dozen big stores and and the usual highly enthusiastic young people staffing them, but even then you could get through to someone instantly.

But today ? .. its utter crap.

Its as if they deliberately don’t want to / cant expand the sales/service side, maybe they are cutting corners for financial reasons despite M3’s flying out the stores. The behaviour at the moment reminds me of the actions of various companies I’ve dealt with just before they collapse, which doesn’t bode well for any future sales/service support should the MS I’m currently waiting for actually gets delivered.

What a depressing mess.

If they don’t get their act together soon, then the company will be hammered when the German / Japanese Auto Industry finally catches up and provides direct competition.

... The car would have depreciated a few hundred in that time ...

And as for depreciation in 2 months, its arguably £1-2k. If I had put the sizeable £4k ‘deposit’ into TSLA, even that would have been up £1k at +25% since ordering …

Last edited:
Yes, I’ve read a number of posts from people in exactly the same position. Tesla always been rubbish at CPO, they aren’t interested in anything other than selling new cars.

That's giving them too much credit, they are also useless at selling new cars that are new and not damaged on delivery!

But today ? .. its utter crap.

Its as if they deliberately don’t want to / cant expand the sales/service side, maybe they are cutting corners for financial reasons despite M3’s flying out the stores. The behaviour at the moment reminds me of the actions of various companies I’ve dealt with just before they collapse, which doesn’t bode well for any future sales/service support should the MS I’m currently waiting for actually gets delivered.

What a depressing mess.

If they don’t get their act together soon, then the company will be hammered when the German / Japanese Auto Industry finally catches up and provides direct competition.

Yes unfortunately once they realise what they can get away with then they are more likely to continue that path, the only time anyone will listen is when people stop buying or governments intervene, the reason they can get away with it now is that their products and tech are new to the scene but this won't last forever and when they hit a plateau things might change.

Interesting to see this, placed deposit for used MS early Dec and zero progress despite calls and emails. Latest implies the invoicing issue is still there, hopefully some progress early Jan!!!

CPO ended a long time ago now, to use that description sets the wrong expectation level, these are not to be compared with the CPO schemes offered by other car companies, they are simply used cars so treat them just like anything else you might find on a used car lot somewhere with of course the major exception that unlike any other used car lot you can't actually see the car you are purchasing...

I regret to say that I can't think of any good reason to buy a used car from Tesla since the CPO scheme ended.

They do not rectify cosmetic damage and do not let you inspect the car before the hand-over day.

This is all they offer by way of detail on what has been done to the car

upload_2020-1-2_9-17-18.png

• Informative
Reactions: KennethS and Yev000
Surely nobody in their right mind would buy anything that isn't brand new without seeing it first - especially a car!

I agree .. !

The temptation was that the CPO car I thought I had snagged 'seemed' good value from the official website description but with only rendered images initially (like I don't know what an MS looks like), and it had the added benefit of a full 50,000 mile full Tesla Warranty. The initial set of photos (over 1 week late) were not exactly spectacular at all, and revealed more problems than I feared. The original CPO listing stated 'CPO Refurb Complete' which implies they've done some tidying up at least and made an attempt to present a appealing car. But this was far from the case.

BUT .. despite a lot of cajoling by me, they just wouldn’t answer specific major questions like “has it had an accident costing more than £500 to fix” and their reply was “its past our 70 point test which includes a chassis alignment / structural check but we cannot otherwise confirm or deny any accidents or evidence of accidents in the past’ and repeatedly cited GDPR restrictions … which didn’t exactly fill me with warm fuzzy feelings !!!

The only thing they would admit was that I was able to reject the car within a short period of time, but only AFTER paying for it and BEFORE seeing it. Which is just batshit crazy in my view. Hence eventually asking for a refund of my £4k deposit ..

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Keeper
I bought a 3yr old S 90d a few months ago direct from Tesla.

I was a bit concerned with all the close-up photos of 'damage' areas, ie scratches etc.

However when collecting the car the damages were obviously amplified by close up zoom photos that are really non issues so super happy with the car.

The guy in charge of handover was super helpful and not pushy in the slightest, waiting for me to go over the car in fine detail.

His attitude was he'd rather I reject then if not totally happy instead of drive away and change my mind, which I understand.

Agree that some people will find buying a 2nd hand car purely online a bit odd however it worked for me.

PS I did have to chase, issues around payment etc however totally worth the wait and any short term hassle!

I ordered a used S 2017 70 Dec 4th. Had got tired after waiting 9 months for my model 3 with 19” wheels order, and wanted the car before Christmas.

Rang what felt like 100x, sent emails, left voicemails.......it took them until 1st week of jan to acknowledge my order and explain their system for used car invoicing is down.
How can it take a tech company 6 weeks to resolve invoicing???

Strangely yesterday I’d given up, put and deposit down for a used Merc (Merc were ready to organise next day delivery). Literally 2 hours after I get a call from Tesla saying they are now able to invoice again. The car should be with me with in 2 weeks as long as it arrives without any concerns to the delivery centre.

Sent an email asking if I get any compensation after waiting so long, considering the car must’ve dropped 1.5+k in value.......have a feeling I won’t get a response

Yes. Deposit paid 27th Dec.
My Sales rep is profusely apologetic. So much so that I sometimes wonder of he's being sarcastic haha.

The CPO car is still the best spec I've found in the UK compared to get sellers, by a good 6k at least. Will keep this post updated as and when I hear any further developments on the delivery situation, if others in the UK would kindly do the same.

So far, for my order from 27th Dec, they say they finished their testing of the new invoicing system and fingers crossed deliveries will start up again soon.