Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO Buying Advice!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All, first time poster long time lurker! Excited to join the community! My daily commute is about 60 miles a day and my Panamera GTS is costing me nearly $500 / month in gas so I am looking to get Tesla for my daily commute.

I'm looking to keep it ~70K as far as budget goes. From what I've been reading I am leaning towards a P90DL 2016 model. These seem to be selling in that price range currently. I know a lot of people love the P85's but I really like the face lift, and from my understands most of the P90D's with Ludicrous that are 2016+ have the V3 battery.

MY question is, should I go for the P90D with the Ludicrous upgrade (2016+) or spend around 50K and get a P85D?

Also, if anyone has thoughts on if it would make more sense to buy now, or wait a few weeks into 2019 to see how prices settle after the tax incentives are gone?

Thank you!

I don't think it's going to matter all that much. I just switched from a P85DL to a 100D. Although the new car is definitely nicer, it's really not all that different. FWIW - I also think AP2 is at best equal to (and maybe less good than) AP1 at the moment.

It seems to me that most people would say the sweet spot would be a P85D right now as far as CPO pricing goes, but I'm looking at ~55K for a 2014, or 65-70K for a 2016 P90D, and to me the 2 years more of warranty, slightly better range, and face lift (2016) seem to make sense.

That is what I am thinking regarding the battery. With a 2016 I will have plenty of warranty if there are any issues. I'm looking at 2016 P90DL with 20-30K miles for ~67-70K which seem like a great deal.

Do you guys think it may be worth waiting a little while or pull the trigger now?

This is the one I'm eyeing, not a fan of the wheels, prefer the dark gray 21" turbine wheels, but the price on this one seems great.

Model S P90D 5YJSA1E4XGF129740 | Tesla

Here is the link to the pics;

Dropbox - 5YJSA1E4XGF129740 - Simplify your life

Well they will always get cheaper the longer you wait.

But that is a nice looking car. Only thing they don’t mention it having is premium interior. Which IMO isn’t a big deal and they may have rolled it into another package by 2016. Just something to doublecheck if it matters to you.

Well they will always get cheaper the longer you wait.

But that is a nice looking car. Only thing they don’t mention it having is premium interior. Which IMO isn’t a big deal and they may have rolled it into another package by 2016. Just something to doublecheck if it matters to you.

How would I know regarding the interior, and what would the difference be for premium vs standard leather? When I originally test drove a Model S, I decided against it because the interior fit and finish wasn’t all there yet imo.

Thank you!

How would I know regarding the interior, and what would the difference be for premium vs standard leather? When I originally test drove a Model S, I decided against it because the interior fit and finish wasn’t all there yet imo.

Thank you!

Run the vin over at ev-cpo.com and it should get you the option packages.

You will have leather seats either way. The pieces that are not real leather are the armrests, dash molding, and door panels.

Not a big deal IMO. I got a car without the extended leather and do not miss it. For 64.5K I would jump on that.

Run the vin over at ev-cpo.com and it should get you the option packages.

You will have leather seats either way. The pieces that are not real leather are the armrests, dash molding, and door panels.

Not a big deal IMO. I got a car without the extended leather and do not miss it. For 64.5K I would jump on that.

Thanks, One other question. If I went with a P85D under 50K miles with the 4 year warranty, would I still receive a 8 year unlimited mile battery / drivetrain warranty? I was under the impression that this starts when the vehicle is new, so I was assuming the only additional warranty would be the CPO warranty, which is why I was looking for a 2016 instead of a 2014.

Thanks

I'm in the middle of buying a used Tesla out of state. I placed the deposit down a week ago on a 2013 MS85 w/ air suspension, tech package, and sunroof for just under $40K. The main selling point is that the car hasn't been registered for California's HOV access decal, so it should qualify for the purple decal good through 2023. This will trim about 8 hours off my wife's monthly commute to work (we have a Fiat 500e with an expiring white decal). The car comes with 2yr/100K warranty and 3yrs remaining on the original 8yr powertrain warranty. The car was ready for delivery just 4 days after placing the deposit and I'm set to pick it up just after the new year. After reading a few people's disappointing CPO stories, I adjusted my exceptions after realizing Tesla changed their "CPO" program to simply "used inventory." Folks tend to think CPO means the manufacturer makes an effort to refurbish a used car into "like new" condition. I ran an Autocheck for the vehicle history, got an insurance quote, and spoke with my local used Tesla rep for run down of the vehicle's condition.

He confirmed that the SOC of the battery is currently 68% and calculated the range to be around 256 miles, about 9 range miles lost after 5 years. The rear tires have 9/32" and the fronts have 6/32." They said they replace tires at 4/32"...no big deal. I just sent an email last night confirming my appointment date and time, a inquiry to the point of contact at delivery, a request to make sure the battery is charged to at least 80% and Supercharging is enabled for my drive back to California, a list of maintenance/repair records, and a quote for the total due at delivery. I will bring a cashier's check just in case the car is far short of my expectations.

• Funny
Reactions: Mark_T
Congrats on your purchase!! Sounds like a great deal for just under 40K! I have also thought about buying a car out of state to get the HOV access decals. It would shave about 20 minutes a day on my commute, which is a nice bonus. I found a few in Nevada that I like, so I may look further into that.

I can get a P85D it looks like for ~50K, P85DL ~60K, and P90DL ~65-70K.

Do you guys think it would be wiser to just go for the P85D right now, skip the L and save 15-20K? If I love it I will just give it to my parents after a year or two and go with a newer model.

Congrats on your purchase!! Sounds like a great deal for just under 40K! I have also thought about buying a car out of state to get the HOV access decals. It would shave about 20 minutes a day on my commute, which is a nice bonus. I found a few in Nevada that I like, so I may look further into that.

I can get a P85D it looks like for ~50K, P85DL ~60K, and P90DL ~65-70K.

Do you guys think it would be wiser to just go for the P85D right now, skip the L and save 15-20K? If I love it I will just give it to my parents after a year or two and go with a newer model.
I like that plan. Bet your parents will also

Reactions: smalltownguy
I am in the market for a vehicle much like yours. One thing to look into is the battery warranty. On models S and X, there is no degradation warranty, the only coverage is complete failure. From what I've gathered from this forum is that the facelift came out in the 2nd quarter of 2016. The v3 battery was available from 4th quarter 2016.
Please feel free to correct any inaccurate info.

I am in the market for a vehicle much like yours. One thing to look into is the battery warranty. On models S and X, there is no degradation warranty, the only coverage is complete failure. From what I've gathered from this forum is that the facelift came out in the 2nd quarter of 2016. The v3 battery was available from 4th quarter 2016.
Please feel free to correct any inaccurate info.

I wish the info was available on the CPO website or EV-CPO. Are you looking at P90D? I haven’t found any late 2016 with Ludicrous yet.

I’m leaning towards a P85D at the moment, it seems like the best value currently to get into a Tesla Model S.