Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO Model S buying process from Tesla questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been researching into CPO Model S from past 6 months and finally two weeks ago I found the car which meets my criteria. I thought Tesla salespersons will treat me at least somewhat decently, but I was in for rude awakening. I live in Texas and car was in California.

1. I found out that Tesla no more share the pictures of used car. When I ask the salesperson why, the one-word answer was “Policy”.

2. Being in Texas I have to buy the car sight unseen. Meaning I must transfer the money to Tesla days in advance before the delivery date. Although I will get the refund except the order and transportation fees if I decide to not go ahead with purchase.

3. I can not test drive the car before signing the paperwork. Are people making that big leap of faith in buying these cars?

4. Any question I asked about the car to salesperson I got the one-word answers or limited vocabulary he can find in his brain.

Finally, I found one car within the state and I was willing to drive to take a look at the car before making such a big purchase. I found out that I can’t even see the car. Even if I ordered it (paid $500), I cannot see the car before delivery date.

I thought the job of salesperson is to make sales, lure customer into sales and be respectful to the potential customer. They were doing everything to be opposite of it.

Is this normal experience or am I the anomaly? What would I do if bought the car and I have to get something serviced? I dealt with three different salesperson and the experience was same.

Important distinction to avoid confusion: Tesla ended the CPO program over a year ago. What you're talking about is a used car and not a CPO which would normally denote a certain level of cosmetic inspection and refurbishment. What you're getting is a used car with a factory warranty against mechanical defects that likely hasn't even had the 70-point inspection done that they claim.

It's important that you know you're buying a used car and inspect it thoroughly as any cosmetic issues are yours once you sign the paperwork. If you want them to fix anything, ask before you sign paperwork and force them to put it in writing. That last part is SUPER important especially when dealing with Tesla. Do NOT trust them at their word with promises.

That said, you're running into a lot of the recent changes that prove Tesla has zero desire to be in the used car business. Most people now just buy 3rd party private as you're also more likely to get the free transfer of Free Unlimited Supercharging for life (aka FUSC) and premium data for life. You would do yourself a tremendous service by researching the Tesla used car buying experience and weigh the more recent experiences heavier than older experiences. What once used to be is no longer.

Important distinction to avoid confusion: Tesla ended the CPO program over a year ago. What you're talking about is a used car and not a CPO which would normally denote a certain level of cosmetic inspection and refurbishment. What you're getting is a used car with a factory warranty against mechanical defects that likely hasn't even had the 70-point inspection done that they claim.

It's important that you know you're buying a used car and inspect it thoroughly as any cosmetic issues are yours once you sign the paperwork. If you want them to fix anything, ask before you sign paperwork and force them to put it in writing. That last part is SUPER important especially when dealing with Tesla. Do NOT trust them at their word with promises.

That said, you're running into a lot of the recent changes that prove Tesla has zero desire to be in the used car business. Most people now just buy 3rd party private as you're also more likely to get the free transfer of Free Unlimited Supercharging for life (aka FUSC) and premium data for life. You would do yourself a tremendous service by researching the Tesla used car buying experience and weigh the more recent experiences heavier than older experiences. What once used to be is no longer.

Thank you for your input. I was not aware of CPO vs Used car. This is helpful. I am looking into 2017 or latest models so I dont think I will get FUSC. The only concern I have buying third party is warranty party. I am concerned that Tesla might balk out in honoring it. With that being said I think I need to do more research into Tesla used car buying process and experience.

Thank you for your input. I was not aware of CPO vs Used car. This is helpful. I am looking into 2017 or latest models so I dont think I will get FUSC. The only concern I have buying third party is warranty party. I am concerned that Tesla might balk out in honoring it. With that being said I think I need to do more research into Tesla used car buying process and experience.
Sure thing. You would be surprised by how much pushback I get from a select few on this forum who already know this fact but don't realize that the silent majority of people who are researching don't. I've seen people who, after the fact, are made aware of something after it's too late and it costs them thousands in value based on damages they thought would be covered due to being "CPO" since that's what they read about. In my opinion, it's a simple thing for us who are in-the-know to do to call it by the proper name to avoid confusing others and help make their experience a better one.

I know it's exciting and you will certainly be rewarded with an awesome car once you do finally get one. However, pumping the brakes (pun intended) to learn more of what is a VERY complex topic in Tesla used cars over the years (literally weeks can mean the difference from one feature or another) will yield in a far better investment and less buyer's remorse if you rush into something that seems perfect only to find out you missed out on something you really wanted later on.

I would focus your research resources on the different changes around the timeframe of cars you're looking at to determine if there's something you would like to spend a little more on to get or, conversely, something maybe you didn't realize was available earlier widening the cars in your pool to choose from and possibly saving you money. I would also research the complete lack of customer service with a heavy weight given towards recent experiences as Tesla has all but abandoned their customer service resources/budget much like their marketing budget. This is creating for a rather large unhappy existing customer base that you may want to reconsider joining.

They still make the best car so if you still choose Tesla I wouldn't fault you but it's best to make said decision with eyes wide open to the pros and cons. It may also make more sense to wait just a little longer for more established companies to come out with their EVs as at least you can call a local phone number get a local name to talk to someone customer-facing who's sole purpose is your satisfaction. Tesla doesn't offer this experience and isn't bashful about admitting it either.

Sure thing. You would be surprised by how much pushback I get from a select few on this forum who already know this fact but don't realize that the silent majority of people who are researching don't. I've seen people who, after the fact, are made aware of something after it's too late and it costs them thousands in value based on damages they thought would be covered due to being "CPO" since that's what they read about. In my opinion, it's a simple thing for us who are in-the-know to do to call it by the proper name to avoid confusing others and help make their experience a better one.

I know it's exciting and you will certainly be rewarded with an awesome car once you do finally get one. However, pumping the brakes (pun intended) to learn more of what is a VERY complex topic in Tesla used cars over the years (literally weeks can mean the difference from one feature or another) will yield in a far better investment and less buyer's remorse if you rush into something that seems perfect only to find out you missed out on something you really wanted later on.

I would focus your research resources on the different changes around the timeframe of cars you're looking at to determine if there's something you would like to spend a little more on to get or, conversely, something maybe you didn't realize was available earlier widening the cars in your pool to choose from and possibly saving you money. I would also research the complete lack of customer service with a heavy weight given towards recent experiences as Tesla has all but abandoned their customer service resources/budget much like their marketing budget. This is creating for a rather large unhappy existing customer base that you may want to reconsider joining.

They still make the best car so if you still choose Tesla I wouldn't fault you but it's best to make said decision with eyes wide open to the pros and cons. It may also make more sense to wait just a little longer for more established companies to come out with their EVs as at least you can call a local phone number get a local name to talk to someone customer-facing who's sole purpose is your satisfaction. Tesla doesn't offer this experience and isn't bashful about admitting it either.

Thank you again so much for your help.

Reactions: Ostrichsak
DO NOT buy a used car from Tesla. Just don’t do it.
I wouldnt necessarily go this far, BUT, I'd say if you do buy one used, dont do it sight unseen. Do all the research thats been suggested in this thread, and view it in person before signing anything. Lots of research/due diligence is needed with Tesla because they really arent desperate to sell cars right now...and it shows....its almost as if they are doing YOU a favor.

Reactions: johnking
Though I'd always recommend do your own due diligence (you know, that old buyer beware thing...) I had checked into a couple of the 3rd party companies that offer extended warranties for Tesla.

For our 2013 S - the warranty option meant give us $5,000 please, and we'll provide two years and 20K of coverage. Or you could also go for a one year 10K option.

I can't comment on the service and ease of the 3rd party companies. But my wife and I couldn't get past shelling out another roughly $200 a month to protect our pocketbook against another Tesla disaster.

If one of these companies offered 4 years of coverage for about $5,000 we would have definitely pulled the trigger.

But for only 2 years and 20K of coverage, no flippin' way. And let's face it. Many Tesla owners enjoy the drive so much they are easily chewing up 20K on the odometer in a single year.

I thought Tesla was no longer fixing cosmetic damages because it’s a used car instead of a CPO. Pretty sure I saw a thread where a Tesla employee said that exact thing, that Tesla is no longer fixing cosmetic stuff because the cars are used

I thought Tesla was no longer fixing cosmetic damages because it’s a used car instead of a CPO. Pretty sure I saw a thread where a Tesla employee said that exact thing, that Tesla is no longer fixing cosmetic stuff because the cars are used

And yet car from 2018 cost more then new one on their website.

At least they should deliver it in PERFECT like new condition

I have been researching into CPO Model S from past 6 months and finally two weeks ago I found the car which meets my criteria. I thought Tesla salespersons will treat me at least somewhat decently, but I was in for rude awakening. I live in Texas and car was in California.

1. I found out that Tesla no more share the pictures of used car. When I ask the salesperson why, the one-word answer was “Policy”.

2. Being in Texas I have to buy the car sight unseen. Meaning I must transfer the money to Tesla days in advance before the delivery date. Although I will get the refund except the order and transportation fees if I decide to not go ahead with purchase.

3. I can not test drive the car before signing the paperwork. Are people making that big leap of faith in buying these cars?

4. Any question I asked about the car to salesperson I got the one-word answers or limited vocabulary he can find in his brain.

Finally, I found one car within the state and I was willing to drive to take a look at the car before making such a big purchase. I found out that I can’t even see the car. Even if I ordered it (paid $500), I cannot see the car before delivery date.

I thought the job of salesperson is to make sales, lure customer into sales and be respectful to the potential customer. They were doing everything to be opposite of it.

Is this normal experience or am I the anomaly? What would I do if bought the car and I have to get something serviced? I dealt with three different salesperson and the experience was same.

What you need to ask your SA is if you can purchase extended TESLA warranty before original warranty expires.
I called Tesla 3 times and got 3 different answers.
Last one they checked their system and CONFIRMED we can do it, as long as ORIGINAL warranty is still not expired (4 years).

Additional 1 year warranty Tesla gives to you when used car is purchased (10.000 miles) is NOT original warranty.

Tesla now clarifies it in their used car listings:

Cosmetic Condition
Cosmetic wear and tear is typical of a used car and does not affect the functionality of the car. Your car will exhibit cosmetic wear and tear that includes, but is not limited to, the following:

Painted Panels

• Scratches up to 1"
  • Dents up to 0.5"
  • Rock chips
Unpainted Panels or Exterior Trim
  • Scratches up to 3"

Glass
  • Rock chips up to 1"
  • Scratches

Wheels
  • Rash up to 0.5"

Interior
  • Signs of usage on upholstery and interior panels such as markings, discoloration, small tears or stains up to 1"
  • Signs of usage on entry and exit points

Rubber Seals and Trim
  • Damage of rubber not affecting function

I wouldn't expect them to fix anything that falls within those parameters. The important distinction though is the "is not limited to" piece of that statement.

To the OP, many people (myself included) have purchased used Teslas over the years without being able to drive them. Tesla did potential buyers a major disservice by no longer taking photos of the cars as that was really the only way to get a sense of the general condition of the car. Now it's pretty much a complete leap of faith.

Don't be dissuaded though, you will find the Tesla you want and you will love it.

And yet car from 2018 cost more then new one on their website.

At least they should deliver it in PERFECT like new condition
There is a perfect example of this:
2018 Model S | Tesla

$71100 US (as of 2020-12-24, which may change as Tesla still plays their games with used car pricing) for a 14K-mile, roughly 2.5-year-old USED Tesla 100D.
So for the $1680 more than a brand new Tesla you get:
* Unknown owner history
* 67 fewer miles of range (assuming zero degradation from new, actual range on this used car is probably closer to 320 miles)
* Non-Raven (no adaptive suspension)
* Slower 0-60 time
* Possible scratches, dents, scuffs, interior smells, etc.
* Reduced warranty period (would be less than half of a new car if the extra 1 year/10K wasn't added.)
* FSD that's not "there yet", so, basically just the "promise" of FSD (see below)
* Sunroof (depending on your taste, this may actually be the one advantage to buying used)
* Cream interior (nicer than black in hot climates, but it's only $1500 on a new car)
* AP hardware 2.5 instead of 3.0 (so you have to deal with the upgrade hassle)
* High-power 72A charger (yes, it's a bonus, but current HPWC units doesn't go past 48A anyway)
* Wheels that are less ugly than the current new wheel covers
* Higher financing interest rate (depending on your bank/CU but most finance used at higher rates than new)
* Possibly lower insurance by a few bucks per month (depends on your insurance company)
* Potential Tesla snafus in delivery, titling, registration, etc (my current car took 6 months to get registered properly)
* Used car shipping fee (location dependent) is higher than destination fee.

I'd rather just buy a new Raven LR+ in the same color combo for $70920. No sunroof or 72A charging available, but I'd rather have the full warranty and latest battery, hardware, etc.

Then if FSD ever materializes, subscribe for $100-$250/mo or whatever Tesla charges (I highly doubt it will be under $100 per month.)

Good condition used Slipstream wheels aren't hard to find at a relatively cheap price, if you absolutely despise the new wheel covers.

2018 Model S | Tesla

$71100 US (as of 2020-12-24, which may change as Tesla still plays their games with used car pricing) for a 14K-mile, roughly 2.5-year-old USED Tesla 100D.
So for the $1680 more than a brand new Tesla you get:

::valid points removed for brevity::

Yeah I don't really understand this logic on Tesla's part. It makes no sense to price a used car anywhere near the price of a new one but I believe they are playing the "they are appreciating assets" game.

2018 Model S | Tesla

I'd rather just buy a new Raven LR+ in the same color combo for $70920. No sunroof or 72A charging available, but I'd rather have the full warranty and latest battery, hardware, etc..
You need to add the FSD and destination charge for the new one. A new 2021 MS LR+ in white with cream interior and FSD would retail for $82,120.

Yeah I don't really understand this logic on Tesla's part. It makes no sense to price a used car anywhere near the price of a new one but I believe they are playing the "they are appreciating assets" game.
Appreciating assets game?? A 2018 MS LR like the one posted above would've retailed for around $112,500 ($105,000 after deducting $7,500 fed tax credit) when it was new. Hardly an "appreciating asset."