Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO Model S buying process from Tesla questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla sells ZERO of those used cars. I repeat ZERO !
Only used cars they are selling are 2017 and some 2018 models.
Anything newer they dont care if sold or not.

And yes, its their Appreciating assets game.
Try to sell your new car with those options and see how much you will get.

Used MS still depreciate a lot if YOU need to sell it

And yes, its their Appreciating assets game.

How is offering a 2018 MS for $71k that would've originally sold new for around $105k (after deducting fed tax credit) playing an "appreciating assets" game? It looks to be very much a depreciating asset. It's also NOT priced more than a similarly equipped new 2021 so, again, not an appreciating asset (game).

What I am seeing in this discussion thread are clearly depreciating assets so if Tesla is playing an "appreciating assets game" they are doing so poorly.

How is offering a 2018 MS for $71k that would've originally sold new for around $105k (after deducting fed tax credit) playing an "appreciating assets" game? It looks to be very much a depreciating asset. It's also NOT priced more than a similarly equipped new 2021 so, again, not an appreciating asset (game).

What I am seeing in this discussion thread are clearly depreciating assets so if Tesla is playing an "appreciating assets game" they are doing so poorly.
Even Elon would quickly admit his cars are not appreciating assets.

If they were, I could sell my P85+ for more than the 130K sticker. Boy that would be a nice Xmas present from Tesla.

Reality is probably a bit more rooted in the 'ole IS / LM curve from Macro Econ.

If Tesla is producing very few new Model S's, and there's a very long wait for a new one because of production slowdowns, pricing for used S's will probably depreciate a bit slower in the interim. Not some long term trend - but an anomaly that is pretty easily explained.

The problem is Tesla is keeping high price of their used cars because FSD is included.

But what you are going to do with FSD if you are on MCU1 or HW 1 or 2 ?

You cant even use FSD in those situations but you paid 10k extra for that.

But its ok, people are going still to buy that car, just include pictures of real car and be sure its in perfect condition for that price

The problem is Tesla is keeping high price of their used cars because FSD is included.

But what you are going to do with FSD if you are on MCU1 or HW 1 or 2 ?

You cant even use FSD in those situations but you paid 10k extra for that.

But its ok, people are going still to buy that car, just include pictures of real car and be sure its in perfect condition for that price

Tesla only includes FSD on used cars with 2.0, 2.5 or 3.0 HW. For example, the $71k 2018 MS mentioned in this thread has 2.5. That car is also at the top end of their current 2018 100D/LR inventory as far as price. Not all used Tesla inventory cars are necessarily high priced or overpriced.

Here is a 2018 100D LR with clean history, 22k miles, 2.5, FSD for $61k: 2018 Model S | Tesla
Here is a 2018 100D LR with clean history, 47k miles, 2.5, FSD for $57k: 2018 Model S | Tesla

Though I'd always recommend do your own due diligence (you know, that old buyer beware thing...) I had checked into a couple of the 3rd party companies that offer extended warranties for Tesla.

For our 2013 S - the warranty option meant give us $5,000 please, and we'll provide two years and 20K of coverage. Or you could also go for a one year 10K option.

I can't comment on the service and ease of the 3rd party companies. But my wife and I couldn't get past shelling out another roughly $200 a month to protect our pocketbook against another Tesla disaster.

If one of these companies offered 4 years of coverage for about $5,000 we would have definitely pulled the trigger.

But for only 2 years and 20K of coverage, no flippin' way. And let's face it. Many Tesla owners enjoy the drive so much they are easily chewing up 20K on the odometer in a single year.

I looked at Auto Finance | Leasing | Fleet Managment | X-Care Warranty Products and liked the quote.

Ive heard that Tesla will reduce the price of their used cars (that come with FSD) by $10k if you ask them, as they will simply disable..the FSD. At least when I was searching for a Y last December, they had an inventory model with FSD that they offered to do that.

Ive heard that Tesla will reduce the price of their used cars (that come with FSD) by $10k if you ask them, as they will simply disable..the FSD. At least when I was searching for a Y last December, they had an inventory model with FSD that they offered to do that.
They will do it on new inventory cars but I have not heard about anyone being able to buy a used inventory car for $10k less than asking price by having FSD removed.

That would make cars like the 2017 MS 75 below less than $30k with FSD removed. Seems unlikely.
2017 Model S | Tesla

tesla service.jpg