Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CR Quick Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, the new worst MX review of all I have seen. "Auto Engineer," seriously, I call BS, at best flunked out of engineering school but could write well enough to get the CR job. One take away I have seen in most reviews is the comparison of the highest MX spec-ed as a super car price to other luxury SUV base prices. My X will cost less than many luxury SUVs, and while true it is not as utilitarian, I would not classify the X in the same category.

Reactions: madodel
Nit-picky indeed! They want more buttons? A more intuitive shifter? Attaching a kayak? What?? The Model X has its flaws - no doubt about it. The 2nd row is beautiful, but that they can't lay flat is a pretty big miss. IMO that's the only legit complaint about the car.

I don't get all the moaning about the falcon doors. They do certainly help with ingress and egress, but their real function is to be a show piece and cement the MX as Tesla's halo car. Do you ever hear people complaining about the gull-wing doors on cars like the merc SLS or the BMW i8? And of all the features on the MX, the auto-presenting / closing front door is the one thing I actually miss when going from the MX to the MS.

Also, here's a picture of the dashboard of a new-model Merc C-class sedan. Is that enough buttons?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    305.9 KB · Views: 90
Nit-picky indeed! They want more buttons? A more intuitive shifter? Attaching a kayak? What?? The Model X has its flaws - no doubt about it. The 2nd row is beautiful, but that they can't lay flat is a pretty big miss. IMO that's the only legit complaint about the car.

I don't get all the moaning about the falcon doors. They do certainly help with ingress and egress, but their real function is to be a show piece and cement the MX as Tesla's halo car. Do you ever hear people complaining about the gull-wing doors on cars like the merc SLS or the BMW i8? And of all the features on the MX, the auto-presenting / closing front door is the one thing I actually miss when going from the MX to the MS.

Also, here's a picture of the dashboard of a new-model Merc C-class sedan. Is that enough buttons?
No. Here's some more buttons.
http://image.automotive.com/f/2012_honda_accord/41991534/center-console.jpg

I thought the review was objective. CR doesn't have a dog in the fight and usually calls it like it is. I agree there could be a few more buttons to allow quick adjustments with out having to take extra steps navigating. When CR rated the S the best car they ever tested we were all feeling good about Tesla. I am a engineer an believe the doors on the X have short comings and were over designed. There is a axiom in manufacturing that says keep it simple. The doors have some utility but the cons out weight the pros and those being critical know what they are. I'm waiting on my delivery of an S and still believe we are buying some of the best cars ever, but I won't turn a blind eye. Tesla is great but they are not perfect.

Respectfully

I thought the review was objective. CR doesn't have a dog in the fight and usually calls it like it is.

I read the CR article on Model X and I agree.

The audience for CR is mainstream buyers, not tech buffs and early adopters. Mainstream buyers are not going to be forgiving of finicky doors and lower utility than their current CUV, if they own one. The poor rearward visibility is a known problem, albeit a problem somewhat mitigated by the rearview camera and ultrasonic sensor array.

Model X is great in many ways, but it is a bit "weird" for a CUV, in contrast to Model S, which was mostly normal for a large sedan. I expect that Model X will evolve over the next few years in response to customer feedback.

I had an Audi Q7 for 7 years. Great SUV, with fold down seats. I used a bike carrier--had no intention or carrying a bike inside against my leather. Make no mistake, the Q7 as CS points out is a great vehicle. After years of revising, Audi produced the 2007 Q7 in 2016 with a new grill and less space -- not to mention they did away with the "low emission" TDI after VW emissions fraud. As great as a car the Germans' build, they seemed afraid of innovation and change. So they took the safe route and developed a vehicle similar to what they have built for years. GM is still producing the Suburban for Caddy with new front and tail lights -- called an Escalade. This is why I switched to Tesla. I wanted more than car payments as the new thing in my garage. I am sure Kodak said: "digital photos are a gimmick" or "you can't print a digital camera imagine so it will never take over Kodachrome". Tesla under Musk dared to be innovative with the Falcon Wing doors (CS should at least learn the name -- not Gull Wing).

He stopped the doors to illustrate a problem that did not occur (in his demo). He stopped the drivers door from opening into the car next to it -- It would not have. My X never hits the garage wall (1 foot away) in auto open mode. He failed to point out that the driver can set the door not to open, which I did during city parallel parking. I understand some may want a "utility" vehicle that hauls 4x8 sheets of dry wall -- I can rent a truck and not sacrifice my interior pretending my X is a pick up truck.

I don't mine a factual and objective review. This was not !.

Ugh, had trouble getting through this. They really don't get the X. To summarize them, its soooo complicated, better to buy a Kia.

I really think that people need to consider the CR video in the context of the average car buyer.

Remember that Consumer Reports had almost nothing but GOOD things to say about Model S, which is an elegant, functional car that everyone can easily understand. Model S is an excellent example of "man maximum, machine minimum" design philosophy.

I don't think there's any getting around that Model X reflects some complicated design choices that make it less functional in some ways. Yes, the falcon wing doors allow for easy access to the 2nd and 3rd row, but they do preclude the use of a roof rack. The single biggest category of hardware complaints I see here in the Model X sub-forum concerns door behavior. The lack of folding 2nd row seats is a real issue for people who need to carry cargo.

For techies, car enthusiasts, and early adopters, design oddities and compromises may be something they are willing to put up with. For the average luxury SUV buyer, they are not going to want to have to expend more brainpower understanding and dealing with Model X than they would for something like a Lexus RX or Acura MDX.

Model X, like Model S, will evolve and improve over the years as Tesla incorporates feedback from customers and car reviewers. CR's review may seem like they are harping on minor things, but it's the minor things that affect the overall customer experience. And yes, car reviews are going to be subjective to a large degree, as every person's experience is different. An automobile is as much a work of art as it is a device quantifiable in terms of kWh/mile efficiency, 0-60 times, range, braking distance, and skidpad g's.

Ugh, had trouble getting through this. They really don't get the X. To summarize them, its soooo complicated, better to buy a Kia.
Looking at the GM SUVs in the following story, they are super ugly. After that opinion piece on the X, No mention of that for the GM cars. But they talk about how the MPG dropped on all the 2016 models even though nothing changed from previous years, so apparently GM lied on previous, but hey car makers lying happens. Not like that particular lie killed anyone.

Throwing shade is what comes to mind. This CR review focuses on what they don't like about the car a bit too much. I get a vibe that CR is sorry they gave Model S perfect rating and they are trying to compensate trashing the X. They don't even mention seat and ride comfort, OTA updates, HEPA filter, autopilot, safety.

Notice also that the guy in the middle is talking over the guy on the left whenever he want's to offer counterpoint or say something positive. And, most of their arguments are edge cases (kayaks) and guesses (towing range) or high end cost (150k).

As much as I don't like FWd myself I do recognize their utility in some cases such as access to child seats.

I also think that front automatic doors (not necessarily auto presenting part of it) are improvement over Model S retractable door handles and expect them to appear in Model S at tome point in the future.

Lastly, mono-post seats don't fold but they do offer extra space for items or increased leg room.

Last edited: