Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crack on My Rear Window

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I was washing my car Saturday morning, I noticed a crack on my rear window. I've searched the forums enough to know it's semi common, but this bothers me more than I thought it would. The Range Rover Evoque that I was driving before this was my favorite vehicle that I've ever owned, but within days of driving the M3, it surpassed it. My infatuation with this car isn't normal. Am I alone?

Attachments

• IMG_0205.jpg
    IMG_0205.jpg
    388.6 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_0205.jpg
    IMG_0205.jpg
    388.6 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_0209.jpg
    IMG_0209.jpg
    452.7 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_0207.jpg
    IMG_0207.jpg
    421.1 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0193.jpg
    IMG_0193.jpg
    441.6 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_0191.jpg
    IMG_0191.jpg
    502.4 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_0234.jpg
    IMG_0234.jpg
    878.6 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_0234.jpg
    IMG_0234.jpg
    878.6 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0179.jpg
    IMG_0179.jpg
    640.8 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_0173.jpg
    IMG_0173.jpg
    478.1 KB · Views: 125
wow thats a HUGE and DEEP crack! please tell me Tesla will take care of that

Will find out tomorrow at a Noon... It's been in the high 90s the past few days and the crack now goes up almost the entire back window. :(

Just want it fixed. Preferably for free, but if they deem it was because something hit it, I'm fine with paying. I just want to not have to look at it any more.

Update: Dropped it off at the San Rafael, CA service center. Was told that a determination of whether it was caused by an impact (not covered by warranty) or something else that may be covered by the warranty can't be made until the technician gets the window off and examines it. If it's not covered by warranty (this is what I'm expecting after researching some window cracks), the total cost will be $1,319.25 ($825 parts, $420 labor, $74.25 tax).

They provided me with a Model S loaner and currently expect to get me my Model 3 back tomorrow.

Got the car back today and was charged the $1,300. Their tech determined it was caused by an impact (it did look like there was a point where the crack spider webbed from and it grew 10x since I noticed it so whatever caused it probably happened within a few days of seeing it).

Nevertheless, I'm happy to have my baby back and thought the service experience was fairly good despite the hit on my wallet. Was able to get a loaner (my Range Rover dealer only had loaners if you scheduled 1-2 months in advance), got the car back the next day, liked that the paperwork signing was all done via email, and loved that the app kept me updated (noticed on the app that it was ready for pickup shortly before they called).

PS - I did find it funny that the nav on the Tesla doesn't fully know how to get the Tesla Service Center in San Rafael. It has you turn onto a road that is parallel to it that doesn't have an entrance to the Tesla Service. Had to drive around to find it. Guess that's on Google, but still found it funny.

PPS - Driving a Model S P75D felt more like a "regular" car than the 3. The steering wheel felt like I was driving a bus because I had gotten used to the smaller M3 wheel and doing previously-normal things like adjusting the vents, steering wheel, and other stuff felt odd. I also didn't like driving with the light of the screen behind the wheel shining in my face when driving at night. Guess I'm just really used to and at home in my M3.

Got the car back today and was charged the $1,300. Their tech determined it was caused by an impact (it did look like there was a point where the crack spider webbed from and it grew 10x since I noticed it so whatever caused it probably happened within a few days of seeing it).

Nevertheless, I'm happy to have my baby back and thought the service experience was fairly good despite the hit on my wallet. Was able to get a loaner (my Range Rover dealer only had loaners if you scheduled 1-2 months in advance), got the car back the next day, liked that the paperwork signing was all done via email, and loved that the app kept me updated (noticed on the app that it was ready for pickup shortly before they called).

PS - I did find it funny that the nav on the Tesla doesn't fully know how to get the Tesla Service Center in San Rafael. It has you turn onto a road that is parallel to it that doesn't have an entrance to the Tesla Service. Had to drive around to find it. Guess that's on Google, but still found it funny.

PPS - Driving a Model S P75D felt more like a "regular" car than the 3. The steering wheel felt like I was driving a bus because I had gotten used to the smaller M3 wheel and doing previously-normal things like adjusting the vents, steering wheel, and other stuff felt odd. I also didn't like driving with the light of the screen behind the wheel shining in my face when driving at night. Guess I'm just really used to and at home in my M3.

Glad they got you fixed up so quick. On my 2016 BMW X3 it took them 3 weeks to get a new windshield. Then it took Safelite 2 days to repair it. And no loaner. My wife had to come get me in Union City in 5 PM Thursday traffic. She was not amused.

Reactions: imnotdavez
Wow, shocked that they were able to get it repaired so quickly. Maybe just the ones that are under warranty are back-ordered. I'm in Portland so not that far from San Rafael and it's over 2 months waiting for the replacement glass.