Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 M3 No Longer Under Warranty - Big Crack in Rear Window Noticed - Tesla Costs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Deaf Paul

Supporting Member
Apr 9, 2023
Oahu, Hawaii
Bought a used 2018 M3 two days ago that was filthy and completely water spotted so I never noticed the crack. Started washing it and then noticed a crack in the rear window. Got the car all cleaned up after 1 1/2 days of work and am now trying to decide what to expect/do about the crack in the rear window.

IMG_2405.jpeg

IMG_2406.jpeg

Currently extends from the top all the way down halfway past the very first defrosting wire.

I saw one post saying it’s a $1800 thing, another saying it’s a $1500 thing, and one post saying it’s a $750 thing.

I saw dozens of posts saying that this was/is a common issue with the 2018 and many had it covered under warranty. I assume this is not a viable option for me due to the car being out of the general warranty period (5+ years old). Anybody have any advice or know for sure what it really costs to have replaced? Do I even need to replace it? Are there non-OEM options that are better/more cost effective?

Thanks,

Paul

You definitely should replace it at some point. I don't think it's urgent, but it will only grow.

Do you not have comprehensive insurance coverage (or whatever category your state requires glass repairs to be under)? To me, it's a no-brainer. I pay several dollars per month and all glass repairs are no extra cost. I've replaced about 3 windshields and done numerous repairs all covered by insurance.

I just scheduled an appointment with Tesla service center to get my back glass replaced due to impact damage and crack propagating. The quote I received was $837 ($531 Parts + $306 Labor). I have comprehensive insurance so only $100 out of pocket.

Eric

• Helpful
Reactions: Deaf Paul
Bought a used 2018 M3 two days ago that was filthy and completely water spotted so I never noticed the crack. Started washing it and then noticed a crack in the rear window. Got the car all cleaned up after 1 1/2 days of work and am now trying to decide what to expect/do about the crack in the rear window.

View attachment 933419

View attachment 933420

Currently extends from the top all the way down halfway past the very first defrosting wire.

I saw one post saying it’s a $1800 thing, another saying it’s a $1500 thing, and one post saying it’s a $750 thing.

I saw dozens of posts saying that this was/is a common issue with the 2018 and many had it covered under warranty. I assume this is not a viable option for me due to the car being out of the general warranty period (5+ years old). Anybody have any advice or know for sure what it really costs to have replaced? Do I even need to replace it? Are there non-OEM options that are better/more cost effective?

Thanks,

Paul

Ironically, I just bought a 2019 and noticed a crack literally the next day after purchasing it and now three weeks later the crack screen, larger and now I’m not sure if it’s something that will be covered by TESLA warranty. This sounds like a defective problem Sprint, which is making me concerning going further with the financing.