Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

cracked windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
I bought my model Y about 2 weeks ago and just notice today there was a chip on my windshield because today the windshield cracked. Do you think Tesla would warranty my windshield in good faith? Thanks in advance

Normally the answer is no, there have not been reports of cracked windshields in quantities, similar to the 3, that did have an issue on the rear grass cracking randomly on some batches. Most likely it got hit at some point and either you did notice or did not witness. Depending on size and type of crack the instance should cover either the patch up work or replacement, if replacement the deductible comes into play, etc... Safelite app, check there, they work with most insurances, and it's straightforward to patch and no need to worry about deductible in most cases, if they say a replacement is needed then you can adjust.

Windshields will definitely not be covered by the warranty... If you haven't bought glass coverage, then you'll have to come out of pocket. My windshield during delivery inspection had some scratches by the VIN and saw later that the installation was a *sugar* job cause the top left end rises higher than the flushed right end..and they're outright replacing it, but mine is definitely the exception (odd, but you know, not complaining). Also, the glass roof is not considered covered by glass coverage. that's a whole different ballpark apparently.

My Y also had a chip and crack that I had the windshield replaced by Tesla after submitting an insurance claim.
3 Days and $1400 for the replacement.
No warranty on rocks....
I just cracked mine on the turnpike in Orlando. Insurance will pay for it but only through Tesla. When I called the advisor they said it might be 4-5 weeks to get it replaced. I see yours took 3 days to repair or was it 3 days to get the new windshield in from when you scheduled it?

I just cracked mine on the turnpike in Orlando. Insurance will pay for it but only through Tesla. When I called the advisor they said it might be 4-5 weeks to get it replaced. I see yours took 3 days to repair or was it 3 days to get the new windshield in from when you scheduled it?

I tried to PM you this but not sure if I did it right so now everyone has to read my rambling....
Hey,
Saw your comment and figured would be easier to just PM you.

I have progressive and opened a claim on a Monday (guessing but works for timeline)
Called them Tuesday since I knew they wouldnt be able to schedule it through Safelite - which is not only their preferred glass replacement company but processes all their claims for windshields too.

They informed me of the same - that Tesla is the only one who can replace and gave me a claim number - it was up to me to schedule the windshield replacement with Tesla.
Wednesday was able to to get that scheduled and I approved the estimate in my app ($1400) as I would be paying for it out of pocket and trying to get reimbursed from insurance after.
Thursday I had confirmation that they ordered the windshield but that it would take another week to get it in from Tesla.
Friday set service appointment for 2 weeks later on a Monday.
Morning of told them I needed a loaner since I have infant twins and need the car seats and not uber credits
Monday (2 weeks later) afternoon was told loaner was ready and I went and dropped Model Y off for windshield replacement.
Was ready on Thursday and I made sure to make a video of my Model Y before drop off and inspect it when picking up inside and out to make sure no damage had occurred. (none had)

Still waiting on reimbursement from insurance company - 10 days now.

Feel free to ask anything else.
I bought this spay for the windshield that supposedly helps from getting chips and cracks and it seems to be working - with all the rain - it has been hit by rocks a couple of time again and not a single chip yet.

A rock flew up and cracked my screen. I'm starting the process with my insurance (USAA) and they want to try to repair it with safelite. It's small size just annoying. I did find the rock on my dash cam but it so small it's really hard to track if it fell off the truck in front.