Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cracking sound at low speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
I just received my 2022 Model 3 LR Dual Motor about a week ago and noticed a strange sound at low speeds. When exiting/entering my garage it sounds like glass cracking/shattering, driving down a gravel road, or rain on glass. Is this normal?

It's the hubcaps My wife's MY did that we pulled off the hubcaps stuck on some foam and the noise was gone. To fact check this, pull off all 4 hubcaps and repeat your slow roll. It should be gone, then just place some foam on the little indents on each hubcap edge and your good to go.

It's the hubcaps My wife's MY did that we pulled off the hubcaps stuck on some foam and the noise was gone. To fact check this, pull off all 4 hubcaps and repeat your slow roll. It should be gone, then just place some foam on the little indents on each hubcap edge and your good to go.
Note sure if the wheels changed in 2022, but my 2021 Model 3 SR+ doesn't have this noise with the 18" wheels with hubcaps. I did notice one cap was loose at the lot and put it back in securely (not sure if OP checked).

From a search the "Gemini" wheels on the Model Y seems to have more reports of this, but it does have more spokes so probably more areas that can creak.
Gemini Wheel Cover plastic noise

Thank you! I took it to a Tesla service center and the technician confirmed it was the aero covers. He said they have rubber or plastic (I forgot) nipples that run along the inside of the cover. He said those need to be trimmed on some cars.

• Informative
Reactions: CheapBastid