Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gemini Wheel Cover plastic noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up new Model Y LR AWD with Gemini wheel covers on June 15th. When outside of the vehicle, our wheel covers sounded like they were full of gravel even though first 257 miles were all on clean highway and city streets.
Cause: Dry plastic “creaking” while rolling.
Removed wheel covers and all noise went away. Cleaned wheels and covers of all dust. Re installed. Noise returned. Will try to attach the “before” video here.
We want to keep these Gemini wheels for looks and efficiency.
Removed wheel covers again and applied a thin coating of “Door Ease” waxy grease on all contact surfaces, clip tabs, center hub tabs and all around rim edge tabs. The noise stopped. Will monitor as we drive it more

Yeah, I notice the same noise. And...if you do a google search, model 3 owners and their Aero covers did the same thing. Just the plastic "crinkling" due to being tight to the wheel. They said it might go away after a while, but I would doubt it. Can only hear it at very low speeds, and I can't hear it from inside the car (just outside).

Since my MY doesn't have the speakers and the pedestrian warning sound, this seems like a good substitute.

Picked up new Model Y LR AWD with Gemini wheel covers on June 15th. When outside of the vehicle, our wheel covers sounded like they were full of gravel even though first 257 miles were all on clean highway and city streets.
Cause: Dry plastic “creaking” while rolling.
Removed wheel covers and all noise went away. Cleaned wheels and covers of all dust. Re installed. Noise returned. Will try to attach the “before” video here.
We want to keep these Gemini wheels for looks and efficiency.
Removed wheel covers again and applied a thin coating of “Door Ease” waxy grease on all contact surfaces, clip tabs, center hub tabs and all around rim edge tabs. The noise stopped. Will monitor as we drive it more

I removed my covers as soon as I got home and added the lug cap & center kit which now cost around $15.00 on Amazon. From the first initial range test drives on YouTube, it turns out that you get better efficiency without the hub caps. That’s another reason why I took them off.

76385533-A21B-4CD2-95B0-9475B383DC20.jpeg

I removed my covers as soon as I got home and added the lug cap & center kit which now cost around $15.00 on Amazon. From the first initial range test drives on YouTube, it turns out that you get better efficiency without the hub caps. That’s another reason why I took them off.

View attachment 555501

Oh really? You wouldn't happen to remember some of those videos, would you? I haven't read much in the forums where someone was stating the covers gave a hit to range...

Oh really? You wouldn't happen to remember some of those videos, would you? I haven't read much in the forums where someone was stating the covers gave a hit to range...
Will look them up.

Nope, couldn’t find it out of the 100’s I’ve seen, the guy took a trip with the hubcaps on and then the same trip with the hub caps off, maybe he or someone else will post the link of the Gemini range test.

Fred

Last edited:
I saw the video you are referring to. It wasn't scientific at all. A gentle breeze headwind or tailwind will likely impact range more than the covers will. You would need a controlled environment or many tests to have useful data.

Here's the video, but as mentioned above, we can't learn anything of value from this one because there were way to many variables in his "tests". He is clear that the data is mostly anecdotal though so, no hate on the video.

Reactions: IdaBish
My wheels made a similar noise. I took the aero covers off this weekend and put on lug covers and new wheel center caps. No noise. I did notice all my silver wheels have small rub spots from tabs on the back of the covers, so that tells me that is the contact point and the most likely source of the sound. The marks go all around the wheel. I’ve had the car since June 20th so the covers have been on about two months.

The noise from my wheels seems to keep getting louder. I took it in once to the SC but I wasn’t able to leave my vehicle with them for 5-7 days at that time as per their request. I have another appointment scheduled for the first week of September and am really hoping that everything can be resolved. I’m tired of hearing the noise while on the road, and it’s even worse in a parking garage echoing off the walls.