Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cracking / tapping type noise around doors - Model 3 2022 RWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New Tesla model 3 - 2022 RWD has started to make this cracking/tapping sound. It looks like coming from the door/b-pillar area of the passenger door.

I have already buckled the seat beat on to rule it out. I have also adjusted the passenger seat (forward and backwards) few times to rule seat position being an issue. Have also adjusted the seat belt adjustment up/down. None of them have made any difference.

As luck would have it I booked in a service request and it didn't happen when went for a ride. So frustrating so they didn't do anything and asked me to just monitor. Before I make another request I would like to be armed with more info so I can tell them exactly where I think issue might be.

Appreciate any help on what the problem might be.

As luck would have it I booked in a service request and it didn't happen when went for a ride. So frustrating so they didn't do anything and asked me to just monitor. Before I make another request I would like to be armed with more info so I can tell them exactly where I think issue might be.

Appreciate any help on what the problem might be.
You had the Tesla tech in the passenger seat and the noise disappeared? That could hint the seat could be a possible source... you can test it by putting some weights on the seat and go over roads you know will produce the noise, or bring a passenger along in the back seat to have a listen.

Upvote 0
I had a noise I was convinced was the seatbelt or glovebox. It never repeated with the tech in the car. I suggested he went alone, he came back and thought it was more likely the suspension. Turned out enough weight in the car and the problem wasnt there. It was the front suspension, which is nowhere near the seatbelt.

Reactions: hravani
Upvote 0
You had the Tesla tech in the passenger seat and the noise disappeared? That could hint the seat could be a possible source... you can test it by putting some weights on the seat and go over roads you know will produce the noise, or bring a passenger along in the back seat to have a listen.
I am taking the car again to the service centre tomorrow. I send them the above link and they asked me to come. If it doesn't happen while the technician is in the car I will ask them to go alone. Will also mention about the aero caps and get them checked.

Upvote 0
Quick update

Took the car to service centre. They took it for test drive (two of them). I wasn't invited :( . Came back and started working on removing both front door trims and applied felt tape everywhere (mostly arranging the wires inside so they don't move).

Initial observation is I don't hear that tapping/cracking sound anymore. But want to do bit more test drive over next two days on different road and temperature conditions to conclude issue is no longer there.

Upvote 0