Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crap, just noticed rear window crack!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

davidmc

May 20, 2019
Leicester
Had my car in for boot works and got it back last Monday, well tonight just got a bag out the boot and the sun shone on the window and noticed the crack. No visible damage to cause ot, just a crack!

Saw the before as some form of stress crack mentioned in a Thread here?

IMG_20200710_204846.jpg
IMG_20200710_204837.jpg

Heard this happen a few times now. Seen it on the Facebook UK owners group at least 3 times. Report to SC. If no visible impact point, as I don’t imagine there will be, it’ll get fixed under warranty.

Is your rear window tinted?
No tint luckily, glass feels smooth over the crack and no sign of damage. Booked in for Thursday 16th ! Surprised I got I'm that quick

Done :) app is getting used a bit lately lol
Had exactly the same thing happen to me, including having some boot work done by the SC a couple of days prior to noticing the crack. Just make sure you take plenty of photos / video before the car goes in as the external glass fitting Co used by Tesla suggested there had been an impact causing the crack. I provided plenty of evidence showing this was wrong and Tesla fitted under warranty. The retail price of the repair is approx £770 so it needs to be done under warranty!!

• Informative
Reactions: davidmc
Had exactly the same thing happen to me, including having some boot work done by the SC a couple of days prior to noticing the crack. Just make sure you take plenty of photos / video before the car goes in as the external glass fitting Co used by Tesla suggested there had been an impact causing the crack. I provided plenty of evidence showing this was wrong and Tesla fitted under warranty. The retail price of the repair is approx £770 so it needs to be done under warranty!!
Thanks for the heads up. What did you take photos off?

Thanks for the heads up. What did you take photos off?
I just made sure that the angle of the video / photos proved there were no impact marks. Tesla initially contacted me re it being outside warranty after I had left the SC and the glass fitter had arrived and reviewed. Having the evidence to hand made it much easier - they were fine once I responded.

I found that a close up video worked best. Tesla UK must have seen a number by now. I understand from a US site that a sign of the crack being stress related Is if it runs at 90 degrees from the body work (boot lid). I’m sure it will go through ok, just better safe than sorry!