Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crappy Super Chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got back from Sacramento. Stopped by the SC at the Promenade. 8 of 10 were being used so I plugged in to an open one. It didn’t work. Tried the other open one and it didn’t either. Talked my way into another and got about 25 to 35 mph. I’ve noticed that this is getting to be pretty much the norm. What’s going on?

This could have been a local grid issue, or it could have been that your battery had not yet reached optimum charging temperature. The charging speed displayed on the screen in MPH is affected by several variables. A more reliable indication of Supercharger function is the kW output.

Tesla does monitor all of the stations from its HQ and will dispatch a technician if a hardware problem is detected. In some out-of-the-way locations this can take several days. Obviously, they give the highest priority to stations where two or more chargers are out of service. Thanks to redundancy, the only scenario in which an entire station would be down is a grid failure.

Tesla does monitor all of the stations from its HQ and will dispatch a technician if a hardware problem is detected. In some out-of-the-way locations this can take several days. Obviously, they give the highest priority to stations where two or more chargers are out of service. Thanks to redundancy, the only scenario in which an entire station would be down is a grid failure.

I understand that is the company's PR line but it's plainly, obviously false from real world evidence. For example, Paramus, which is *at a service center*, has had multiple chargers offline or broken for months.

I understand that is the company's PR line but it's plainly, obviously false from real world evidence. For example, Paramus, which is *at a service center*, has had multiple chargers offline or broken for months.

I'd check and report the issues if they haven't been fixed as of now. You can call 877.798.3752 and report the individual connectors and location, such as Paramus. There should be an ID at the bottom of each connector, e.g. A1. The last time I called, there was a message stating that they already know about failed Supercharger connectors, but you can continue through that message to do a manual report and request an investigation into why the issues weren't fixed.

I'd check and report the issues if they haven't been fixed as of now. You can call 877.798.3752 and report the individual connectors and location, such as Paramus. There should be an ID at the bottom of each connector, e.g. A1. The last time I called, there was a message stating that they already know about failed Supercharger connectors, but you can continue through that message to do a manual report and request an investigation into why the issues weren't fixed.

You're kidding, right?

As I said above, and as you quoted, these superchargers are *at the Paramus service center*. In the parking lot in front of the main entrance. Nearly constantly in use by Tesla employees to charge cars after service or bedore delivery. The broken ones are routinely taped off with caution tape by employees in Tesla clothing who walk out of the shop to do so. It is inconcievable that Tesla does not know they are broken.

Many other supercharger locations in the NYC metro area (ridge hill, tarrytown, etc.) have persistently dead chargers - the difference is they're not located directly in the parking lots of Tesla service centers! But given that the one that *is* so located stays broken for so long - I think it is very clear that any claim that Tesla promptly brings broken chargers back online, at least in this region, is hooey.

We use the supercharger network when we take trips on the weekends. More frequently during the winter to go snowboarding. I tend to visit the same superchargers a lot and the auto reporting doesn't appear to work or happen. I recently got tired of hitting bad plugs in Kingston NY and while supercharging slowly because we had to share stalls because of the lack of available working ones I started calling and emailing any contact I could find including going on the website. Today I finally received an answer apparently the best way to report an issue to to email with pictures if possible

[email protected]

I also asked why this can't be reported from the app or MCU and they said reporting from the car MCU was being worked on currently.