Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crashed my car after owning it for 2 days!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think you have to worry about that one.

Even among Tesla fanboys there is nearly 360 degrees worth of support for that feature. It's not exactly some secret sauce that Tesla has to figure out.

When it really comes down to it there is no smart summon, or FSD without being able to see curbs.

Thank God for that. The good thing is we have the hardware so they just have to make it happen with the software.

I've tweeted to Elon. Worth a shot lol

No it doesn't brake by itself when manoeuvring at slow speed except when using the Autopark feature - which is good, but still quite limited in its application. Coverage of the sensors around the car is not perfect either. It would be good if it did actually brake too rather than just give warning beeps. There is no safety net in this case.

A simple overhead 360 surround camera view would be very helpful when parking in tight spots, it's the one and only thing I miss from our Nissan Qashqai! I'm still baffled as to why Tesla didn't offer this feature on such a large car with poor corner visibility. The proximity sensors are good, but not quite enough on their own as you have unfortunately discovered! The sensors can also be a bit laggy when reporting distance to an object when you are closing in, which is not ideal either.

That's good to know. I think I'm going to start treating this car like a normal car from today making sure I'm in full control at all times and don't take any chances.

But with all the moaning this car is so ****ing amazing. I won't ever buy a another car ever again

Reactions: mongo
The part your damaged looks very familiar. Is it the driver's side molding or the passenger side? I've been waiting for the same part from Tesla for my driver's side for my Model 3 for 7 weeks now. Twice Tesla shipped the passenger's side in the packaging and labeling for the driver's side.

Anyone have any idea how to motivate Tesla to ship the correct part? The last time there was an 18 day gap between the first wrong part and the second wrong part. It's now been seven days since the last erroneous shipment. See the photos of the wrong part to better understand what I'm talking about. Note that the embossed part number doesn't match the packaging label.
View attachment 307317

It's the passenger side.

The bodyshop is dealing with the ordering so I hope they won't get the wrong one

This is a Model X and not 3 BTW.

...Coverage of the sensors around the car is not perfect either. It would be good if it did actually brake too rather than just give warning beeps. There is no safety net in this case.
Not sure I'd want the auto-stop feature until the sensors are more accurate. My Model 3 tells me to STOP in no uncertain terms multiple times every time I drive up and down my driveway. It's a pretty tight fit, but I haven't scraped the sides (or mirrors) yet. Getting a Model S up and down my driveway is a real challenge. Getting a Model X in and out would have been nearly impossible.

Not sure I'd want the auto-stop feature until the sensors are more accurate. My Model 3 tells me to STOP in no uncertain terms multiple times every time I drive up and down my driveway. It's a pretty tight fit, but I haven't scraped the sides (or mirrors) yet. Getting a Model S up and down my driveway is a real challenge. Getting a Model X in and out would have been nearly impossible.

I know what you mean, but that's not really a problem. The auto-stop just needs a manual override button for when parking somewhere super close where you are confident not to hit anything. So for example when auto-stop kicks in the first time while parking, an override button pops up on the main screen to allow you to get closer to whatever it stopped for. When you press the override button an auto-stop resume button then pops up so you can reactivate the system as required or it simply resets when you change drive mode.

It would stop a few garage prangs for sure when people hit the wrong pedal or get distracted and miss the warnings. It happens all the time.

I’m not blaming Tesla. I take full responsibility. I’m driving for 12 years and not a single incident so far until today. So I do know how to drive. It’s one of those days. Since I bought the Tesla I’m super nervous driving it. All I was saying is it would have been great if the ultrasonic sensors have picked up the proximity and applied the breaks. (Audi A8L does this)

Honestly I was under the impression Tesla does this by default.

I hope they bring this feature soon.

Sorry to hear about the accident. You’ll get much more comfortable driving in next few months.

Btw: refreshing to see you take personal responsibility....