Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model Y battery loses 2 % each day while it sits in garage, Sentry & Climate are off, what gives ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use the car a few times a week, charge to 80 or 85 after I use it .. then I change "charge setting" to 60% so it won't keep charging 2% each day and after 5 days it's down 10%.
Nothing is ON that I know of so I'm a bit disappointed. If I go a week without using it .. it'll be down roughly 15%.

Reactions: FatherTo1
Does your car goes to sleep? Do you park outside in winter?

I noticed in my case that when I was not driving for a long time because of Covid,
the battery was losing about 1% a week and 3 to 4% a month when parked in a garage.

You should install a battery monitor, to check is the cars goes to sleep and for how long.
When sleeping, there should be a little be of consumption because of the Cell communication
and Bluetooth, otherwise the DC/DC inverter would be activated every 2 or 3 days to charge
the battery for one hour.

Reactions: JonB65
Upvote 0
It's not normal to loose 2% a day. At most it should loose 2% in four days. Like Watts_Up asked, does your car sleep. You can use Tessie to monitor your car without waking it up. Do you leave your car plugged in? This may keep the car awake.
Keeping the car plugged in shouldn’t keep the car awake.

Possibly low voltage battery on its way out and the car is charging it more often from the HV battery?

Are you or anyone else with access to your car constantly opening the Tesla app? Or opening the doors while in the garage?

Are you using or have you used any third party services that use your Tesla login and connect to the car?

Upvote 0
This is the nature of ALL rechargeable batteries found in any device and is nothing new. EVs are not immune from this commonly known characteristic.
It is 100% not normal to lose 2% a day in any Tesla that is properly going to sleep. Further generalizing this to “ALL” rechargeable batteries, which can often go months or years with practically zero energy loss in proper storage conditions, is absurd.

Upvote 0
My sentry is off and it’s unlocked at home in the garage. I also, routinely, turn off radio and climate control when I’m parked. Otherwise anyone walking through the garage with a phone connected app will “wake” the car. I don’t know if this comes from the 12V or the big battery, but I’d like to avoid the wake-ups, if I can.

Upvote 0
Watch it over a few days. What you’re seeing maybe normal vatiance due to temperature changes and BMS irregularities. Many times I’ll charge at night (cold) to a certain percentage but when I actually drive it in the afternoon the next day it has dropped 3-4 percent. But that’s not due to phatom loss, but temperature and BMS fluctuations. You may even see an increase in charge level without even being plugged in depending on what time you check during the day.

As had been said, the best thing to do is check if it’s sleeping or not. Third party software is the most comprehensive way of doing this but you can look at it yourself by using the Tesla widget. When you look at the widget in the lower right will be the last update. While it’s sleeping that number will grow to hours and perhaps days. Of it’s always low, you are not sleeping. It’s not fool proof as phone connectivity and OS restrictions on when it’s allowed to be updated vary but it’s a good indication.

Reactions: GtiMart
Upvote 0
I was about to ask about ambient temperate but it sounds like that isn't an issue for you. I would also say this isn't a normal. I would leave my Y in the garage, unplugged, for a week while on a trip overseas and maybe come back to 1-2% down. Have you reached out to Tesla?

Upvote 0
Watch it over a few days. What you’re seeing maybe normal vatiance due to temperature changes and BMS irregularities. Many times I’ll charge at night (cold) to a certain percentage but when I actually drive it in the afternoon the next day it has dropped 3-4 percent. But that’s not due to phatom loss, but temperature and BMS fluctuations. You may even see an increase in charge level without even being plugged in depending on what time you check during the day.

As had been said, the best thing to do is check if it’s sleeping or not. Third party software is the most comprehensive way of doing this but you can look at it yourself by using the Tesla widget. When you look at the widget in the lower right will be the last update. While it’s sleeping that number will grow to hours and perhaps days. Of it’s always low, you are not sleeping. It’s not fool proof as phone connectivity and OS restrictions on when it’s allowed to be updated vary but it’s a good indication.
Tesla widget ? We use the app but don't check it frequently or anything. I would like to check if its sleeping .. please advise

Upvote 0
It's not normal to loose 2% a day. At most it should loose 2% in four days. Like Watts_Up asked, does your car sleep. You can use Tessie to monitor your car without waking it up. Do you leave your car plugged in? This may keep the car awake.
I do leave it plugged in always. I can try pulling the plug to see if that changes anything once I determine IF its going to sleep.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Upvote 0
I was about to ask about ambient temperate but it sounds like that isn't an issue for you. I would also say this isn't a normal. I would leave my Y in the garage, unplugged, for a week while on a trip overseas and maybe come back to 1-2% down. Have you reached out to Tesla?
Its been cool.. 25°f o'night, 45°f daytime. Haven't reached out yet, only 3k on it.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Upvote 0