Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Crazy Cheap Second hand M3's on Autotrader Suddenly?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jason71

May 8, 2019
Shropshire
I like to have a look at autotrader from time to time. Mainly to laugh at how high the prices seem to be given the wait for a new car is less than 3 months typically.
So I was a bit surprised today to have a look and see 2 cars at a dealer in Waltham Abbey which has 2 M3 P's which seem real bargains
both are white 69 plates.
£43k black interior 2000 miles ( and a lot of stick on Carbon fiber)
£44k white interior 1200 miles
Available to "DIRIVE AWAT TODAY!!" apparently

both of these represent a 9k saving on a new model by my calculation. So is this the beginning of the end of M3 residuals or are these just a crazy bargain, or am I missing something?

to put it in context there are only 12 M3s on Autotrader in total. the next cheapest RHD P is also white with 4K miles and is apparently already sold for £53,750. apparently it includes the "premium white and black leather interior option priced at £3k at order" so maybe that's why :) No mention of FSD so assume not included.

I've not provided a link in case that violates any forum rules for advertising but since there are only 12 M3s on autotrader you will have no trouble spotting them if you are interested.

Doesn’t look as if it’s a scam but it’s now sold anyway. I’d love to know how they’re getting them so cheap, I can only assume they’re not an EV expert and didn’t quite know what it was worth (and neither did the person they bought it off!)

On the flip side there was a grey SR+ on there for ages near me for over £50k, not even FSD I don’t think.

Haven’t checked in a while but seems to have been taken off at least.

Guess they were hoping to ride the initial wave and it didn’t quite work out?!

Are they really THAT cheap though!?

Considering you can buy a spanking 2020 <50(probably <10 reality) miles M3P from inventory for £53k and most of the Auto trader cars are more than this for a 2019. Nothing new there as used car dealers regularly wish for the uninformed to prey on.

When I checked last night there were 12 M3P's in white in Tesla inventory available to buy. That is just in white there are other colours and 50 (possibly more my phone only seems to load 50 cars at a time) LR's.

Most cars lose 30% when you drive them off the lot unless it is a low volume rarity and the M3 is designed to be high volume also Tesla have a whole bunch of cars sitting all round the UK with another load of ships enroute (love the shipping thread, very entertaining) so the rarity is now a moot point also. Add in the Berlin factory being built etc. So production is only going one way and once demand is met prices will start going down surely?

That dealer has plenty of other Tesla's and a BMW i8 so obviously knows what he had with the M3's.

Am I missing something as I am new to the party?

Reactions: Spacep0d and Harv3y
Are they really THAT cheap though!?

Considering you can buy a spanking 2020 <50(probably <10 reality) miles M3P from inventory for £53k and most of the Auto trader cars are more than this for a 2019. Nothing new there as used car dealers regularly wish for the uninformed to prey on.

When I checked last night there were 12 M3P's in white in Tesla inventory available to buy. That is just in white there are other colours and 50 (possibly more my phone only seems to load 50 cars at a time) LR's.

Most cars lose 30% when you drive them off the lot unless it is a low volume rarity and the M3 is designed to be high volume also Tesla have a whole bunch of cars sitting all round the UK with another load of ships enroute (love the shipping thread, very entertaining) so the rarity is now a moot point also. Add in the Berlin factory being built etc. So production is only going one way and once demand is met prices will start going down surely?

That dealer has plenty of other Tesla's and a BMW i8 so obviously knows what he had with the M3's.

Am I missing something as I am new to the party?
I think it’ll be a lot of dealers trying their luck! They’re probably also loving the fact that Tesla don’t list their cars for sale on Autotrader, so less people are likely to see how much cheaper you can actually get one!

i noticed the two performances yesterday and was thinking this must be a typo something must be wrong miles too cheap I would have snapped one straight up, the company seems legit so I called them he said there sold and there just place holders, when he gets more stock he will amend...what a twit, I'm in the trade you don't need to place hold on autotrader.

With what seems like over 50 brand new 3s in stock on the Tesla inventory, I suspect we will see the first 'price corrections' from Tesla on new 3 orders come end of this quarter.

Unless of course Tesla ramp up Model Y production very quickly, and than don't need to push 3 sales.

Could they be trying to drive down the price. For when they buy them? and no cars where ever actually for sale.
they clearly had a couple to take pictures of but that does not mean they were actually for sale.
I wondered if it was a tactic to get people to call so they could either try to sell them something else or get their details for when they do have an M3 to sell later ( at a higher price of course!)

they clearly had a couple to take pictures of but that does not mean they were actually for sale.
I wondered if it was a tactic to get people to call so they could either try to sell them something else or get their details for when they do have an M3 to sell later ( at a higher price of course!)

Weren't both cars the same registration though?

I thoroughly detest car dealers most of them couldn't lie straight in bed!!

I'm hoping Tesla will be a breath of fresh air.