Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creaking Front Suspension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DanDi58

Jun 22, 2020
Dayton NJ
My car started creaking a bit about 10 days ago - from the driver's side front suspension. In those 10 days, it has gotten progressively worse. I have made a service appointment but as usual, it's about 3 weeks out. Based on research, it sounds like control arms. Assuming that, a couple of questions.

1) Is the car safe to drive? I have a trip to Upstate NY in 2 weeks. Maybe this would be a good time to rent another EV and see how that goes......
2) It sounds like only one side is creaking - if you've had yours done, did they do both sides?
3) What's the ETA on the repair?

Here's a video of the creaking -

It'll be covered under warranty no problem as long as they can replicate it. They'll usually only replace the bad one, though there have been some instances of people getting both done at the same time. I wouldn't count on it.

There's no safety issue or precedent for these failing outright if not addressed, your problem is pretty fresh. Wouldn't worry about it. I drove to VA beach to get one of mine replaced (was going there anyway) and the squeak actually got better as the weather warmed up over the hundreds of miles. :) The repair only takes an hour or two and no alignment is required.

You may be able to get in quicker at a NY service center as well - check out any that might be on your route and maybe you can adjust your appt. Not sure how far North you're going but Syracuse just opened one.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the input. I did reach out to Tesla and mentioned that I suspect it may be control arms and whether it was safe to drive. They said that it was. I'm going to Saratoga Springs so no SC's between me and there.

Now that I have it in my head, I may just rent a Kia EV6 for the trip to see how the 'other half' lives with CCS charging, lol....

Does the sound on the video sound like control arms?

Upvote 0