Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creak Creak!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

Terrible creaking noise coming from the rear of my MYLR22.

I’ve taken everything out including the shelf and climbed in the back whilst car moving to determine where the noise is coming from. Sounds to me like it’s coming from in and around the hatch itself., more towards the black trim part. Surely it’s not the trim making all that noise, sounds like a bad of spanner’s?

Anyone having similar issues at all? Obviously if music is on you can’t hear anything but it surely shouldn’t make that much clatter for a 60k car?

Thanks.

Hi all

Terrible creaking noise coming from the rear of my MYLR22.

I’ve taken everything out including the shelf and climbed in the back whilst car moving to determine where the noise is coming from. Sounds to me like it’s coming from in and around the hatch itself., more towards the black trim part. Surely it’s not the trim making all that noise, sounds like a bad of spanner’s?

Anyone having similar issues at all? Obviously if music is on you can’t hear anything but it surely shouldn’t make that much clatter for a 60k car?

Thanks.
I had the same noise!

It sounds like metal hitting metal.

I soon realized it was the rear head rests.
I pushed both head rests down and the noise stopped.

Otherwise I would speak to Tesla about it!

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
If it's like a squeaky chattering when you go over bumps, then they all do it. As far as I can tell it's the numerous rubber seals around the tailgate and no amount of fiddling with the (4x) bump stops will get rid of it - so just focus on making sure the tailgate closes properly and straight with those. The only temporary solution seems to be to apply a lubricant to all the rubber seals, but in my experience the noise just comes back again.

If it's like a squeaky chattering when you go over bumps, then they all do it. As far as I can tell it's the numerous rubber seals around the tailgate and no amount of fiddling with the (4x) bump stops will get rid of it - so just focus on making sure the tailgate closes properly and straight with those. The only temporary solution seems to be to apply a lubricant to all the rubber seals, but in my experience the noise just comes back again.
It’s a plastic creak type noise for sure, defo not metal on metal or anything like that.

You need to wind the feet/bump stops out so that they make a firm contact with the body of the car, but not so much that the boot doesn’t shut properly. Trial and error I’m afraid. Then apply a coating of gummi pflege around the rubber boot seal and also the door seals and allow to dry. That solved most of the rattling on my MY but the seals require re-lubing every now and again.

You need to wind the feet/bump stops out so that they make a firm contact with the body of the car, but not so much that the boot doesn’t shut properly. Trial and error I’m afraid. Then apply a coating of gummi pflege around the rubber boot seal and also the door seals and allow to dry. That solved most of the rattling on my MY but the seals require re-lubing every now and again.
Right, so feet out and not in like I’ve done

If you haven't already resolved the issue after a full investigation, your rear folding seats may be the culprit. Take a couple of wraps of black electrical tape around the steel pin that supports the springed latch when the rear seat is in the upright-locked position. Folding down the seatback will reveal the round steel bar. I only treated the passenger side, but you can do both sides for peace of mind. Worked for me, good luck!

If you haven't already resolved the issue after a full investigation, your rear folding seats may be the culprit. Take a couple of wraps of black electrical tape around the steel pin that supports the springed latch when the rear seat is in the upright-locked position. Folding down the seatback will reveal the round steel bar. I only treated the passenger side, but you can do both sides for peace of mind. Worked for me, good luck!
I know exactly the ones you mean, thanks for the tip

I had the same sounding problem.....everytime I went over any sort of bump etc there was a creaking noise coming from the back left, tried everything, had the trim off and wrapped tape around plastic bolts etc but still wouldn't shift!
Booked a service appointment and it was fixed inside 30 mins, turns out some sort of bolt needed tightening up on the strut / hydraulic part, guy said very common as some shipments come in and they haven't met the tolerance for tightening and hence the creaking.
Had that done about 3/4 months ago and never had a problem since.

I had the same sounding problem.....everytime I went over any sort of bump etc there was a creaking noise coming from the back left, tried everything, had the trim off and wrapped tape around plastic bolts etc but still wouldn't shift!
Booked a service appointment and it was fixed inside 30 mins, turns out some sort of bolt needed tightening up on the strut / hydraulic part, guy said very common as some shipments come in and they haven't met the tolerance for tightening and hence the creaking.

Good tip here, I’ve got the mobile tech coming out in a week or two. I’ll defo share this.

This fixed the problem for me. There are four bump stops and in my car it was the two upper ones that were the culprit. They take most of the weight of the tailgate.

Reactions: Danno_