Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creak Creak!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my experience, the adjusters work for a bit - and don't get me wrong, you should spend a bit of time adjusting them to get the closure right - but the noise just comes back when the weather changes and things expand/contract. Same goes for silicone lubricant to the rubbers and the body.

After this post in another thread about squeaky tailgates I applied some fabric wiring harness tape to both sides of the boot opening where the rubber seals attached to the sides of the tailgate would meet the body, and the noise is gone. I can't see how it would come back TBH. The tape is low tack so isn't going to cause any damage, or need solvents to get it off - but sticks fine as long as the paintwork is clean even more so because it's contacted lightly by the tailgate.

The squeaking I’ve had is definitely coming from the outer rubber seal that presses against the upper outside left/right edges of the tailgate. I can say this with confidence because :

- You can hear it by pressing down on the tailgate just above the light cluster when it’s closed.
- It almost completely disappears when it’s been raining (water along the seal).
- You can stop it by putting silicon grease on the rubber (but it’s a temporary fix).

The bump stop adjustment will work if you adjust it such that the tailgate no longer compresses the rubber. But it’s a fine line between pushing it so far out that the lock won’t engage but enough to get the tailgate to not compress the seal. Silicone grease works well, but it’ll need regular re-application. I haven’t tried the fabric tape approach, but I reckon it’s probably the best option.

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
The squeaking I’ve had is definitely coming from the outer rubber seal that presses against the upper outside left/right edges of the tailgate. I can say this with confidence because :

- You can hear it by pressing down on the tailgate just above the light cluster when it’s closed.
- It almost completely disappears when it’s been raining (water along the seal).
- You can stop it by putting silicon grease on the rubber (but it’s a temporary fix).

The bump stop adjustment will work if you adjust it such that the tailgate no longer compresses the rubber. But it’s a fine line between pushing it so far out that the lock won’t engage but enough to get the tailgate to not compress the seal. Silicone grease works well, but it’ll need regular re-application. I haven’t tried the fabric tape approach, but I reckon it’s probably the best option.
I read somewhere on here that some people in the US have been removing the rubber strip completely. I haven’t yet resorted to that in case there’s no way of refitting it if it causes further unintended problems.

I read somewhere on here that some people in the US have been removing the rubber strip completely. I haven’t yet resorted to that in case there’s no way of refitting it if it causes further unintended problems.
I don’t think its purpose is to stop water getting in given that it’s only on part of the overall aperture and that there is a much bigger seal further in that is surely the real waterproofing barrier. So, my suspicion is that it’s there for wind noise reduction.

Reactions: Danno_