Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering wheel creaking when turning left

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mulkogi

#teamblue
May 11, 2021
WA
My steering wheel started to creak when turning left at low speeds. Started a few days ago when the freezing temperatures started. Anyone had a similar issue? Most i can find online is either upper control arm bushing failing or steering motor failing.

My steering wheel started to creak when turning left at low speeds. Started a few days ago when the freezing temperatures started. Anyone had a similar issue? Most i can find online is either upper control arm bushing failing or steering motor failing.
Mine just started doing that too! I assume it was all the snow and freezing temperatures. I'm waiting for temps to go up to see if it disappears (I hope to God it does).

Without hearing it, my diagnosis is one or both upper control arms. The balljoints are prone to creaking and Tesla hasn't really designed a good one yet that fixes the issue. The Model 3 is on its 5th or 6th revision now... The cold is known to exacerbate it too. Back in the day, the lifespan was about 30k miles on the Model 3 and people usually got both of them done under warranty.

I don't think the repair is too costly outside of warranty, but sucks you're just out of it.

Last edited:
The fact that the first few days was only when turning left but now its both ways makes me think it might not be the ball joints. The noise comes from the same spot somewhere to the left of the steering wheel column. Might try to spray some silicone in the rubber gasket down there and check.

Overnight my MYP ~54K started the same noise, but seemed to be a little more on the right side. Creaking sound like it was a frame issue.....very disconcerting. After investigation, I did find that it was the Right Upper Control Arm Ball joint. A poorly designed and manufactured part. (1044321-00-J & 1044326-00-J). You can tell by the "J" revision level that they have been chasing this issue with the Upper Control Arm since release of the car. No ball joints should be going bad and running out of grease in less than 100K miles. Meyle sells an upgraded part that is showing up on the new 2024 Model Y's. (Meyle Control Arm Set for Tesla Model 3 2018+ and Model Y 2019+).
0EAC7F5C-7E30-4B45-B4C1-A386A6096AF0.png

See image below of new Meyle part on a 2024 Model Y
E7C64DA6-CCDC-4E32-A7E1-7AD4CDDCB988_1_105_c.jpeg

On YouTube there are a lot of DIY's for injecting Grease into the boot. Its a good fix and if you seal it properly with Weather Stripping glue, it should last quite a long time.

I took to my Tesla service center and discussed with them, the service advisor readily admitted that its a bad part. They see this a lot and seems to be a 40k - 65k miles issue. He changed out both Upper Controls Arms (Left & Right side), since I was out of warranty I only paid for the parts and tax. $275. The entire job with labor would have been $800. It took a little over 2 hrs and I was out the door.