Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Create a time based charging window for the Power Wall 2 battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has any one found a way to create a time based charging window for a PW2?
Next year the power companies will be allowed to bill for Solar Export to the grid during 1000hrs to 1400hrs. (and Pay for consumed power during same window)
My PW2 start charging as soon as surplus Solar is available and is always full by 1000hrs, and I can't find a Time/cost based program that suits this .
Any Ideas on how to achieve this?

Next year the power companies will be allowed to bill for Solar Export to the grid during 1000hrs to 1400hrs. (and Pay for consumed power during same window)
My PW2 start charging as soon as surplus Solar is available and is always full by 1000hrs, and I can't find a Time/cost based program that suits this .
Any Ideas on how to achieve this?
I reckon tesla will add than funtionality to the app before it occurs. A lot of the powerwall r&d is done at tonsley in adelaide

Reactions: JoeG57

You could try using the in-built Time Based Control in the Tesla App. You need to enter all your grid rates and times which is a bit tedious, but TBC is intended to use AI, your historical usage patterns, and solar forecasts to minimise your grid costs.

However I don’t think it allows you to enter negative FITs - or at least I’ve never tried 😄. You can enter different FITs for Peak, Offpeak and Shoulder. You can only set up to three different ToU tariffs, so if you have 4 or more different ToU tariffs (e.g. super offpeak for EVs) then bad luck.

I’ve never liked TBC because it operates as a black box and seemingly does very weird things at times, like stop charging the battery and start exporting solar, such that the battery is not full by the end of the day when I want it to be full at the end of the day to avoid peak grid charges. 🤔

If you want to get funky and use the Tesla or Gateway API to control what the PW2 does, you can control when it grid charges by setting a reserve level that is above its current state of charge (it will start to charge from the grid in order to reach the set reserve level, if solar is insufficient) however I don’t know of a way to tell it to stop charging if it is not full, and export solar instead.

It is not likely that you will see negative FITs (unless you're on a wholesale-linked plan like Amber, where you already would be seeing them). The distributors will charge a couple of cents for exports during those peak times, but at the retail level that means a smaller FIT, perhaps even zero, but not a negative one.

You could try using the in-built Time Based Control in the Tesla App. You need to enter all your grid rates and times which is a bit tedious, but TBC is intended to use AI, your historical usage patterns, and solar forecasts to minimise your grid costs.

However I don’t think it allows you to enter negative FITs - or at least I’ve never tried 😄. You can enter different FITs for Peak, Offpeak and Shoulder. You can only set up to three different ToU tariffs, so if you have 4 or more different ToU tariffs (e.g. super offpeak for EVs) then bad luck.

I’ve never liked TBC because it operates as a black box and seemingly does very weird things at times, like stop charging the battery and start exporting solar, such that the battery is not full by the end of the day when I want it to be full at the end of the day to avoid peak grid charges. 🤔

If you want to get funky and use the Tesla or Gateway API to control what the PW2 does, you can control when it grid charges by setting a reserve level that is above its current state of charge (it will start to charge from the grid in order to reach the set reserve level, if solar is insufficient) however I don’t know of a way to tell it to stop charging if it is not full, and export solar instead.
I have tried to set up TBC but the slider has my head spinning trying to stop charging from sun up to 1000hrs , have also asked Enphase they gave me a ticket then silence.
Have now gone to my system installer to see what he can offer
Time will tell

Interesting we installed a 2nd PW2 this week and we are now able to use the "go off grid" function ,
when we had 1 PW2 it would stop the function unless the battery was below 90% (which seemed crazy) but now all works fine as I just tested it.
So it would seem I can force Zero export by utilizing the off grid function any time I choose (assuming battery charged)
So would seem I don't need Enphase to meddle as the Tesla system can do it all.

Reactions: Hairyman
I replied to your post in Energy:

See image on delayed charging until 8:10am.
1000006574.png

OK I have finally made the Time of Use and Pricing work so the Powerwall is only charging from Solar between 1000 hrs and 1400 hrs so that part is now working just need to make the Tesla system export limit once the negative pricing comes in next year.
Plenty of time so should be worked out in plenty of time.
Thanks every one for your help