Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Credit Unions with good rates that accept applicants anywhere within the US?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can I ask what rates others are getting with around 725 ratings? I am not getting what I expected from the lenders I have tried. Thinking of jumping through the hoops to become a USSFCU member if I can expect sub 5% rates. I feel like my credit good/great if just not considered "perfect" at an 800.
The rates at USSFCU has updated but the lowest you can get is what they're offering on their website which is 4.49% for 60months.

For those of you who got a loan through USSFCU how was the application process? I have an 800 score. but wondering what documentation they asked for if any
You need to apply for an account with them first. I believe you can waive the fees and become a member by signing up through an association. The process is fairly easy. Once you have gotten approved for an account, then you will go ahead and apply for the auto loan. As far as documentation, you need proof of residency such as utility bills, and proof of income, and official ID, such as a driver's license, passport, etc. I uploaded them twice, once for the bank account, and another time for the auto loan. I'm not sure if they're still backlogged, but when I applied it was at 3.74%, and it was about 1-2 weeks processing for me because I had to verify income multiple time since my address is different from mailing and physical.

If you need to expedite your calls or try to get a loan officer to review right away, I'd call after hours EST and you'll get in contact with a representative who will put in a request for a callback. Otherwise, if you call during the business hours, they'll tell you to wait until it's been reviewed, which can take rather long.

Has anyone rejected a VIN and had USSFCU financing? How does the process work to secure a loan for the replacement VIN?
If you have a loan officer who you're working with, you can ask her if she will honor your USSFCU financing approval if you exceed past their timeframe which is 60 days from your approval date. Mine told me if my vin takes longer, or whatever happens, she will have to run my credit, but will honor me the rates.

Reactions: teslico
I was told that credit union needs to send the payment check to Tesla over night, does Tesla need the check be delivered before you can take delivery of the car? Wouldn't be a issue if you have to reject the car for any issue?

I was told that credit union needs to send the payment check to Tesla over night, does Tesla need the check be delivered before you can take delivery of the car? Wouldn't be an issue if you have to reject the car for any issue?
You can request they send the check to you unless it’s one of those states where payment is required before the car enters the state. That way if you decide to take the car, then hand them the check otherwise don’t.

I’m pretty sure permanent resident is okay too.
Yeah I think so too as long as you are a permanent citizen or a U.S. citizen should be ok. A lot of people in a different forum asked about if they were on visas would it work, and in those instances it will not. I think because USSFCU said they’re trying to avoid illegal activity? Idk they’re sort of a weird bank lol

Yeah I think so too as long as you are a permanent citizen or a U.S. citizen should be ok. A lot of people in a different forum asked about if they were on visas would it work, and in those instances it will not. I think because USSFCU said they’re trying to avoid illegal activity? Idk they’re sort of a weird bank lol
They are indeed a weird bank.
I applied, and they wanted more and more documents, including my naturalization certificate from 2007. So I sent everything to them, then the status changed to "need more documentation". I asked several times what else is needed using their messaging service at the application status page, and never got a response. About a week later, the status changed to "declined".
I can not see any reason for that, I have stellar credit, I am a citizen, I provided everything they asked for.
No response to my questions about why. When I called, I was told that they can't see the reason, but that a letter has been sent to my address. That was over a week ago, and I have not seen a letter.
Nothing even close to this has ever happened to me. Very strange. I wish I had never applied, with copies of literally all my important documents that ever existed on their computers ... :oops:

They are indeed a weird bank.
I applied, and they wanted more and more documents, including my naturalization certificate from 2007. So I sent everything to them, then the status changed to "need more documentation". I asked several times what else is needed using their messaging service at the application status page, and never got a response. About a week later, the status changed to "declined".
I can not see any reason for that, I have stellar credit, I am a citizen, I provided everything they asked for.
No response to my questions about why. When I called, I was told that they can't see the reason, but that a letter has been sent to my address. That was over a week ago, and I have not seen a letter.
Nothing even close to this has ever happened to me. Very strange. I wish I had never applied, with copies of literally all my important documents that ever existed on their computers ... :oops:
Oh no! I would definitely call their customer service and then have them push for a representative in that area. I know the loan officers do not have direct number but their customer service line has helped me. I too had to send multiple documentations and luckily I got paired with a really nice agent :(

Oh no! I would definitely call their customer service and then have them push for a representative in that area. I know the loan officers do not have direct number but their customer service line has helped me. I too had to send multiple documentations and luckily I got paired with a really nice agent :(
I tried, but I am at the point where I don't want to waste any more to time with that CU. Decided to pay cash instead, even though their rates looked good.

I’m at my wits ends with USSFCU. I applied for a loan and was approved on 4/28. I asked them to send the check to me but instead they sent it to Tesla. When I went to pickup the Tesla and decided to release the VIN. Afterwards I emailed and called USSFCU to let them know and they said I didn’t have to do anything. For safety measures I uploaded the new MVPA to USSFCU and let them know and addendum needed to be done with the new VIN. My loan officer was out that day so another rep told me the addendum was made and gave me a letter through DocuSign.

A day ago the loan officer sent me an email stating that I needed to contact Tesla and tell them to return the check to USSFCU or write them a new and that I would have to reapply for a new loan with the higher interest rate (they cannot honor the original rate). To top it off, this morning I received a noticed from DocuSign that the loan agreement I signed will be removed due to a retention policy USSFCU has.

I’ve already made the first payment and at this point I’m not sure what actions I can take to keep my current interest rate. Any ideas?

I’m at my wits ends with USSFCU. I applied for a loan and was approved on 4/28. I asked them to send the check to me but instead they sent it to Tesla. When I went to pickup the Tesla and decided to release the VIN. Afterwards I emailed and called USSFCU to let them know and they said I didn’t have to do anything. For safety measures I uploaded the new MVPA to USSFCU and let them know and addendum needed to be done with the new VIN. My loan officer was out that day so another rep told me the addendum was made and gave me a letter through DocuSign.

A day ago the loan officer sent me an email stating that I needed to contact Tesla and tell them to return the check to USSFCU or write them a new and that I would have to reapply for a new loan with the higher interest rate (they cannot honor the original rate). To top it off, this morning I received a noticed from DocuSign that the loan agreement I signed will be removed due to a retention policy USSFCU has.

I’ve already made the first payment and at this point I’m not sure what actions I can take to keep my current interest rate. Any ideas?
My situation was not exactly the same but similar, so I’ll share my experience. I applied and was approved at the lower rate, and they sent the check directly to me. I then ended up putting my order on hold and let USSFCU know I’d be getting a new VIN in a few weeks. They had me send back the check and told me I’d have to apply for a new loan for the new VIN saying they’d try to honor the old lower rate. They ended up telling me they could not honor it, and my new loan would be at the new 60 mo @4.49% rate.

My situation was not exactly the same but similar, so I’ll share my experience. I applied and was approved at the lower rate, and they sent the check directly to me. I then ended up putting my order on hold and let USSFCU know I’d be getting a new VIN in a few weeks. They had me send back the check and told me I’d have to apply for a new loan for the new VIN saying they’d try to honor the old lower rate. They ended up telling me they could not honor it, and my new loan would be at the new 60 mo @4.49% rate.
why did you have them send the check back? since your getting a similar vehicle same price in couple weeks you could have asked tesla to hold payment and to apply it to your new vin