Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise Control / Autopilot Unavailable After removing cameras

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it means that a factory reset wipes out everything including calibration data, and perhaps V10 uses more cameras than V9 did and/or simply has a different calibration message. Unfortunately, unlike all other auto manufacturers, Tesla does NOT offer a way to use standard (non-TACC) cruise when you have AP, so you shouldn't expect to have any AP/cruise functions until the calibration is complete (also if you're just using TACC and it randomly drops out, instead of cleaning a laser sensor around the bumper like many of those systems, you'd need to clean in front of the cameras in the windshield). While it's too late now, my first step would have been to take it back to the shop that did the wrap and mention the problem since they are "experts in Tesla work" and would theoretically be liable for any damage/problems they caused. However, I'm glad the factory reset worked, and hopefully you're now good to go once the calibration is complete.
I’m hopeful that’s all it is. Unfortunately the shop is closed mondays and Sundays so I had little I could do anyway. Figured I’d try all the things I could do myself first. still going to call Tesla when they open this morning to have there look through the logs.

Update: just got off the phone with Tesla customer service. They saw the cameras ("multiple cameras") were "throwing errors" and not communicating with the car. I'm having the shop guys take it back in and look at the camera wiring to make sure they reinstalled them all properly.

I also have a Service appt scheduled for next Monday (soonest I could get) just in case they aren't able to fix it.

Update: just got off the phone with Tesla customer service. They saw the cameras ("multiple cameras") were "throwing errors" and not communicating with the car. I'm having the shop guys take it back in and look at the camera wiring to make sure they reinstalled them all properly.

I also have a Service appt scheduled for next Monday (soonest I could get) just in case they aren't able to fix it.

I hope you get the shop that removed the cameras to cover any costs the Tesla Service people charge you.

Hope it ends up being something simple and easy to correct.

I had my auto custom shop guys take the car back in for inspection on Tuesday, They were able to get the autopilot working again! Maybe something loose in one of the cameras? Out of an abundance of caution they removed the Blackvue so that I could take it to tesla and make sure everything checked out.

Yesterday, my appointment with Tesla was cancelled by Tesla :p since they remotely looked at my car's diagnostics and determined there was no longer an issue. I would have preferred they gave the car a once-over, but I understand they probably have more pressing issues with other customers.

I'm getting my Blackvue reinstalled later this week and all is well!

I had my auto custom shop guys take the car back in for inspection on Tuesday, They were able to get the autopilot working again! Maybe something loose in one of the cameras? Out of an abundance of caution they removed the Blackvue so that I could take it to tesla and make sure everything checked out.

Yesterday, my appointment with Tesla was cancelled by Tesla :p since they remotely looked at my car's diagnostics and determined there was no longer an issue. I would have preferred they gave the car a once-over, but I understand they probably have more pressing issues with other customers.

I'm getting my Blackvue reinstalled later this week and all is well!

Glad it appears to be fixed. I have a Blackvue 2ch as well. I don't know if you just stick it to the glass, or have a mount, but I have been very happy with the Blendmount. It is very expensive (IMO) but exceptionally well engineered and strong.

Glad it appears to be fixed. I have a Blackvue 2ch as well. I don't know if you just stick it to the glass, or have a mount, but I have been very happy with the Blendmount. It is very expensive (IMO) but exceptionally well engineered and strong.
That’s great to know I’ll look into it. The blackvue was reinstalled Friday and all is well. They didn’t route the wire through the Tesla conduit to be sure. I’m going back next Friday for my two week follow up and they’ll tuck it in then.
Turns out, no matter how many you do, you can still put a camera back on wrong!