Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise Control / Autopilot Unavailable After removing cameras

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know what you’re thinking. If the cameras were removed Of course it wouldn’t work. But I have a brand new model x that just got back from the auto custom shop getting clear bra and chrome delete. The side cameras were removed wrapped and reinserted. There is no obstruction as to the view of the cameras as far as I can tell. The guys are experts in Tesla work (high volume in my city).

since I got my car I’ve only driven it home and to breakfast. But the cruise control is not available and subsequently neither is autopilot or autosteer. Icons of cars and lanes do not show up. The cameras previously calibrated prior to me taking it in to the shop but now nothing shows up.
My question is: do they self calibrate after being removed and reinserted? No dialogue shows saying as much. I’m trying to avoid service if at all possible. Your expertise would be greatly appreciated since this is my first Tesla. I searched for this problem in the forums and couldn’t come across a problem similar to mine— but if there is, please direct me there I’d be happy to read it.

grateful for your help!

If it was recalibration it would say so and have the ‘countdown’ circle of how long it would take.

Not sure why the ‘shop’ would update your software, I’d yell at them about that.

Have you tried power off? Sit in the car, hit power off from the menu and do not touch anything (anything!) for five minutes. Then open a door or try brake pedal. May or may not help.

Mine went through the same for a full wrap with no issues and unless they hooked things back up wrong, it’s weird.

Couldn’t agree more. They were told not to update. Someone didn’t get the memo ⚠️

tried the power off. Tried soft and hard reboot. Left it alone after the power off overnight. Thanks for your reply!

I agree about the calibration— it would show that it was recalibrating

Reactions: boaterva
Couldn’t agree more. They were told not to update. Someone didn’t get the memo ⚠️

tried the power off. Tried soft and hard reboot. Left it alone after the power off overnight. Thanks for your reply!

I agree about the calibration— it would show that it was recalibrating
At this point If it’s still not working I’d call support Monday. They can check the logs and see what’s wrong. If they say cameras are showing a fault then your shop should check the connections.

You could call today but the weekend people only seem to have access to ‘upper level’ log analysis. They are supposed to be Roadside only but helped me with startling a technical ticket yesterday.

I’ve taken my own cameras off while doing my own DIY wrap, didn’t have any calibration or issues with AP or sensors afterwards.

When taking the camera off, two pieces are vulnerable to getting sheared off. One is a tab on the actual camera housing, and the second is a small tab on the wire connector. If your shop is doing high volume Teslas they probably didn’t mess it up. But might be worth taking it back to have them double check the connections.

Ok, tried that. it's recording clips, but they are not openable.
Screen Shot 2019-10-06 at 12.52.49 PM.png

You could call today but the weekend people only seem to have access to ‘upper level’ log analysis. They are supposed to be Roadside only but helped me with startling a technical ticket yesterday.
Agree. Tried your tactic and called Roadside but they couldn't help, and I didn't want to take up their time when they could be helping someone truly in need. It was worth a shot, though! :-D

Agree. Tried your tactic and called Roadside but they couldn't help, and I didn't want to take up their time when they could be helping someone truly in need. It was worth a shot, though! :-D
I would still call tomorrow around 11 am ET when they wake up out there. Engineering may need to take a look or they need to repush v10 if they did upgrade you with the cameras disconnected.

I had both my cars wrapped at the same time. One is an AP2 MX, the other is AP2.5 MX. The shop swapped the cameras, so both cars' Autopilot stopped working. I thought the wraps covering the proximity sensors were to blame. I called Tesla up and after running diags they said I had to bring the cars in. When I brought the cars back to the wrap shop after a couple weeks for them to remove the air bubbles, I told them what's going on...light bulb came on in the shop owner's head...the workers must have swapped them! So he switched them back and the errors went away.
Maybe your issue is similar to mine...Could they have swapped your side rear-facing cameras with another car?

I had both my cars wrapped at the same time. One is an AP2 MX, the other is AP2.5 MX. The shop swapped the cameras, so both cars' Autopilot stopped working. I thought the wraps covering the proximity sensors were to blame. I called Tesla up and after running diags they said I had to bring the cars in. When I brought the cars back to the wrap shop after a couple weeks for them to remove the air bubbles, I told them what's going on...light bulb came on in the shop owner's head...the workers must have swapped them! So he switched them back and the errors went away.
Maybe your issue is similar to mine...Could they have swapped your side rear-facing cameras with another car?
That’s a great thought! I called them and they said there is only one chrome delete guy and they only chrome delete one car at a time to avoid scenarios like that. :-/

I went ahead and did a factory reset. Was a bit of a doozie. Now, when I pull into my garage the sensors don’t show on the dashboard display or make noises hard reboot doesn’t change that either.
Now, autopilot menu shows “Additional cameras calibrating 0%” whatever that means. Driving around a couple miles hasn’t changed it. Still no cruise control. Weird.

Attachments

• 3813BA6D-EC2B-4FE4-AAA9-897281162865.jpeg
    3813BA6D-EC2B-4FE4-AAA9-897281162865.jpeg
    86.9 KB · Views: 82
Now, autopilot menu shows “Additional cameras calibrating 0%” whatever that means.
I think it means that a factory reset wipes out everything including calibration data, and perhaps V10 uses more cameras than V9 did and/or simply has a different calibration message. Unfortunately, unlike all other auto manufacturers, Tesla does NOT offer a way to use standard (non-TACC) cruise when you have AP, so you shouldn't expect to have any AP/cruise functions until the calibration is complete (also if you're just using TACC and it randomly drops out, instead of cleaning a laser sensor around the bumper like many of those systems, you'd need to clean in front of the cameras in the windshield). While it's too late now, my first step would have been to take it back to the shop that did the wrap and mention the problem since they are "experts in Tesla work" and would theoretically be liable for any damage/problems they caused. However, I'm glad the factory reset worked, and hopefully you're now good to go once the calibration is complete.

Ok, tried that. it's recording clips, but they are not openable. View attachment 463217

FYI: QuickTime not being able to open and play this video is probably because your PC lacks the proper codec for the encoded video. That has been a problem on the Raven's since they have the newer computer and use a new compression standard (H.265). Can also impact Macs. Make sure you have a codec or player with the codec built in to support it.

FYI: QuickTime not being able to open and play this video is probably because your PC lacks the proper codec for the encoded video. That has been a problem on the Raven's since they have the newer computer and use a new compression standard (H.265). Can also impact Macs. Make sure you have a codec or player with the codec built in to support it.
Ah, thank you for that! I’ll check that out