Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise control not adjusting speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone can help me with w an issue I’m having when activating cruise control on my Tesla (Model 3). Up until yesterday, when I activated it, it will set the Max speed to the allowed speed limit and adjust it accordingly. However, when driving through a higher speed limit, the allowed speed limit changes to the new speed, but the max speed remains in the lower setting and I have to manually increase it.
Does anyone know why and how to fix it?
Thanks

Reactions: Jane4
I have the same issue. You can manually change it with the scroll wheel or tap the speed limit icon on the screen. It is my understanding that this feature ( auto max speed change) is only present with FSD.
Thanks. It was working fine before though. It just stopped doing it all of the sudden and I don’t have FSD. It was just while using cruise control.

Reactions: Jane4
Upvote 0
Thanks. It was working fine before though. It just stopped doing it all of the sudden and I don’t have FSD. It was just while using cruise control.
When I got my car in the summer of 2021, it had the green light chime feature even though I didn't have FSD. Back then green light chime only came with FSD.

There was a bug that didn't remove the green light chime when FSD was removed so several of us who bought demo vehicles got green light chime for free. Then a few months later it went away after a firmware update.

Maybe something similar happened to your car. I don't have FSD and I've always had to manually adjust the AP max speed. My guess is you getting this feature was a bug that was fixed with an update.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0
When I got my car in the summer of 2021, it had the green light chime feature even though I didn't have FSD. Back then green light chime only came with FSD.

There was a bug that didn't remove the green light chime when FSD was removed so several of us who bought demo vehicles got green light chime for free. Then a few months later it went away after a firmware update.

Maybe something similar happened to your car. I don't have FSD and I've always had to manually adjust the AP max speed. My guess is you getting this feature was a bug that was fixed with an update.
Oh that makes sense. How sad :/
Thanks for sharing

Upvote 0
I have the same issue. You can manually change it with the scroll wheel or tap the speed limit icon on the screen. It is my understanding that this feature ( auto max speed change) is only present with FSD.
Same here. I always assume I will have to adjust with the little rolling ball on the driver's wheel. The only speed change it responds to here in my area is the speed sign near the I-25 interchange...??

Upvote 0
Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone can help me with w an issue I’m having when activating cruise control on my Tesla (Model 3). Up until yesterday, when I activated it, it will set the Max speed to the allowed speed limit and adjust it accordingly. However, when driving through a higher speed limit, the allowed speed limit changes to the new speed, but the max speed remains in the lower setting and I have to manually increase it.
Does anyone know why and how to fix it?
Thanks
I always have to adjust it manually.

Upvote 0
What you are saying doesn't make any sense. There's no way or should the car automatically increase the max speed that's set. If I have the speed at 65 and the speed limit is 65 and the limit sudden changed to 75, you're saying the car should just increase speed automatically without any manual input from the driver? That's dangerous.

Upvote 0
What you are saying doesn't make any sense. There's no way or should the car automatically increase the max speed that's set. If I have the speed at 65 and the speed limit is 65 and the limit sudden changed to 75, you're saying the car should just increase speed automatically without any manual input from the driver? That's dangerous.
FSD adjusts the max speed. All the time. I wish basic AP had this feature too but I can live without it. I love AP and use it for most of my driving but I need to fiddle with the speed a lot.

Reactions: cleverscreenam
Upvote 0
I think you are misunderstanding what we are stating. If we are on AP then Tesla set the speed according to the speed limit, and the variation that is set on the controls. We believe (want) that if the speed limit increases or decreases, then AP should adjust it automatically. It doesn’t, therefore we adjust it manually using the control wheel.

Upvote 0