Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dynamic / Auto speed-limit adjust (Auto-Pilot)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a bit disappointed with Tesla Auto-Pilot (not FSD). I have been driving German cars for more than a decade, and since 2016, every single one of 7 Mbenz or BMW cas I owned did Auto-Speed adjust to match the new posted speed as I pass a new speed limit sign while driving on cruise control (autopilot equivalent).

I am just super disappointed by the fact that Tesla, the company that claims they care that much about driver's safety and autonomous features, that the standard AP or even Enhanced AP, do not support Auto-speed adjust.

In a way, if I am driving on a 35MPH zone, I set the AP and speed is 35MPH, once I pass a new posted sign of 55 MPH zone, the cruise control set speed would never auto adjust to the higher 55MPH. It's huge disappointment after never ever adjusting the speed while driving for the majority of my route to work. The same is true on highway while the route speed changes from 65 to 75 back and forth, I always have to adjust manually by canceling and re-activating AP via the steering AP knob.

The only exception to this is for low speed in-town driving, if the new posted sign limit is >10 MPH lower than the current set one, AP will force adjust to lower speed that is at least within 5MPH from the new posted speed but will NOT match it, and that is simply because AP does not want to drive the car at more than 5 MPH higher than the set point, not as a convenience feature. On highway, it doesn't matter, if am at a 75 MPH<, it will stay there even if I pass through a new 60 MPH posted speed limit.

Am I missing something or is it truly that stupid? Tesla should fix this... this has nothing to do with FSD, as many luxury and non-luxury car manufacturers have that as a standard feature!!!

I don't know what year your car is or what version of software you're running but mine adjusts speed up and down depending on the speed zone. It misses some zones in some places but that's because the underlying road database is wrong. I know where those areas are - mostly construction zones that are all done but the database hasn't been updated. In those cases, I scroll up to maintain my speed.

Your speed can exactly match the speed limit if you wish. Go into settings and select a "0" offset. You used to be able to select a % or set number of mph over the speed limit but NTSHA forced Tesla to remove the set mph (I kept mine at 5 mph over the limit). Now they only have a % - I keep it at 10% over so in a 30 mph zone, I'll go 33, etc.

I don't know what year your car is or what version of software you're running but mine adjusts speed up and down depending on the speed zone. It misses some zones in some places but that's because the underlying road database is wrong. I know where those areas are - mostly construction zones that are all done but the database hasn't been updated. In those cases, I scroll up to maintain my speed.

Your speed can exactly match the speed limit if you wish. Go into settings and select a "0" offset. You used to be able to select a % or set number of mph over the speed limit but NTSHA forced Tesla to remove the set mph (I kept mine at 5 mph over the limit). Now they only have a % - I keep it at 10% over so in a 30 mph zone, I'll go 33, etc.
I don’t think you read my post carefully. I am not referring to the fact that AP adjusts to the posted speed limit when AP is engaged, I am referring to the adaptive nature (while AP is already engaged, if the road speed changes, the AP will NOT do automatic adjustment to the new posted sign unless you engage AP again by clocking the button). There is just no automatic auto-speed adjustment in AP. Unless you are referring to your car with FSD, then that’s different. By the way, mine is a 2023 MS (I have 3-months free FSD trial now, but FSD is turned off in settings)

I think you might just misread the @EV_Travels post. It clearly said that you need to set the speed settings in the Autopilot section to your desired value (I keep it +6 km/h been in EU). And while you drive you engage it for the speed that the car currently reads from signs (or map data as clarified before). Engaged AP function should now automatically reduse the allowed speed if the sign is lower than your current one (with your set desired value). I believe the active AP (not interrupted manually) can then adjust the speed back to the initial value if the section on your route changes to previously allowed speed limit. This has always been so, I haven’t experienced it to automatically increase the speed if the new sign is allowing higher speed. At least this is how the AP1 is working. As @EV_Travels mentioned you can manually add the missing value by scrolling up the button or adding set speed amount by the Autopilot stalk on older car’s (while still on active AP). This manual scrolling/adding also works opposite way, you can adjust the Autopilot speed lower than the value on the signs, but this is only valid until you disengage it.

I think you might just misread the @EV_Travels post. It clearly said that you need to set the speed settings in the Autopilot section to your desired value (I keep it +6 km/h been in EU). And while you drive you engage it for the speed that the car currently reads from signs (or map data as clarified before). Engaged AP function should now automatically reduse the allowed speed if the sign is lower than your current one (with your set desired value). I believe the active AP (not interrupted manually) can then adjust the speed back to the initial value if the section on your route changes to previously allowed speed limit. This has always been so, I haven’t experienced it to automatically increase the speed if the new sign is allowing higher speed. At least this is how the AP1 is working. As @EV_Travels mentioned you can manually add the missing value by scrolling up the button or adding set speed amount by the Autopilot stalk on older car’s (while still on active AP). This manual scrolling/adding also works opposite way, you can adjust the Autopilot speed lower than the value on the signs, but this is only valid until you disengage it.
I understand what he said, but again, I am not asking about anything that has to do with (manual adjustment). And I have already set my speed limit to 3 MPH above posted speed limit and the AP automatically starts from that value, unless i am already driving above that 3MPH limit that it takes that (seems like there is also a maximum +5MPH AP limit on some roads.

However, all of this has nothing to do with the fact that AP will NOT automatically increase it's set point to higher speed limit as I pass a new post speed sign that indicated a higher speed-limit (i..e.: driving at 35 MPH on AP, then passing 55 MPH speed limit sign, the car will NOT automatically adjust the AP cruise control set point to 55 MPH (or 55+3 for example), it will just stay at 35 MPH.

I did tried to explain that IF you engaged the Autopilot in high speed section of the road then the automation should adjust to the new slower section, and if the road is then again changed to the PREVIOUS speed section limit then the Autopilot will adjust the value back. I experience this every week while I need to take 100mile drive to cottage, various sections of the road changes the limit and the car does follow it. Very nicely by the way!
That manual scrolling option or the stalk usage is working as I described if the new section of road has different speed limits and automatic change does not function. Well it does works for me.

My AP1 seems to adjust down just fine but doesn't speed up unless I tell it to, despite the speed limit logo getting bigger for a moment to signify a change.

Autosteer on vs off matters, as on city streets it will say "autosteer limited to [speed limot plus 5mph]. It will still autosteer me if Ibstep on the gas to go faster than that, just not if I'm feet off the pedals.

I did tried to explain that IF you engaged the Autopilot in high speed section of the road then the automation should adjust to the new slower section, and if the road is then again changed to the PREVIOUS speed section limit then the Autopilot will adjust the value back. I experience this every week while I need to take 100mile drive to cottage, various sections of the road changes the limit and the car does follow it. Very nicely by the way!
That manual scrolling option or the stalk usage is working as I described if the new section of road has different speed limits and automatic change does not function. Well it does works for me.
Interesting.. it does NOT seem to be changing it's speed for me. Not sure what am I missing in the setting or whatever....}
I am almost certain that the AP (specifically on highways, forget about city) does NOT reduce or increase it's speed as I move from 65 mph zone to 75 mph for example. AP would just stay at 65 MPH after passing the new 75 mph speed sign

My AP1 seems to adjust down just fine but doesn't speed up unless I tell it to, despite the speed limit logo getting bigger for a moment to signify a change.

Autosteer on vs off matters, as on city streets it will say "autosteer limited to [speed limot plus 5mph]. It will still autosteer me if Ibstep on the gas to go faster than that, just not if I'm feet off the pedals.
Yes, exactly that...... on city streets, all it does it to just auto adjust so that it stays within the 5MPH delta.... but that means it would only slow down when you are cruising on AP ABOVE that threshold but it would never ever go up again later.

Also, on highways, it does not do any of that. All what AP seems to care about is to stay below 85 MPH... AP does not auto adjust after passing a new posted speed sign.

Which version of AP do you all have, we may be comparing apples and oranges.

Honestly flicking the cruise control stalk up once or twice when the speed limit changes isn't a big deal. Wait what, you don't have such a stalk? You pay to supercharge too?! 😇

You get other benefits I won't ever have though.

Mine is AP1, 2016 MCU1. And if not mistaken I can engage the AP even on city streets and if I have to correct the steering manually (that Autopilot steering is now off) then the car keeps the assigned speed - the function is now TACC - and when no obstacles seen it will adjust to the initial assigned speed, so increasing up. The car is in EU.

My 2023 model 3 (in autopilot) automatically adjusts the speed limit when I enter a new speed zone. The rub seems to be that you need to have the speed set “correctly” for the previous zone.

For example, if I’m coming out of a 30mph zone (with AP set to 35mph) and into a 40mph zone, it will adjust for the new speed limit (45mph). If I’m cruising at 34mph, it will ignore the speed limit of the new zone and continue on at 34mph. Or it “seems” to be acting that way at least. I haven’t been able to determine anything else causing it.

Edit: I should note that this only happens going to a higher speed limit. When dropping to a lower limit it almost always drops my cruise speed down to the posted limit (plus offset)

I recently changed my setting from "relative +5mph" to "relative +0mph" and it seemed like it switched to the higher speed limit once , which I noted with a "hmmm that didn't happen before."

I'll try to test with autosteer on and off, and report back

I recently changed my setting from "relative +5mph" to "relative +0mph" and it seemed like it switched to the higher speed limit once , which I noted with a "hmmm that didn't happen before."

I'll try to test with autosteer on and off, and report back
So does that mean if there is an offset, then it will not auto-adjust to higher speed limits? But if I set the offset to be 0, then it will auto-adjust?

My 2023 model 3 (in autopilot) automatically adjusts the speed limit when I enter a new speed zone. The rub seems to be that you need to have the speed set “correctly” for the previous zone.

For example, if I’m coming out of a 30mph zone (with AP set to 35mph) and into a 40mph zone, it will adjust for the new speed limit (45mph). If I’m cruising at 34mph, it will ignore the speed limit of the new zone and continue on at 34mph. Or it “seems” to be acting that way at least. I haven’t been able to determine anything else causing it.

Edit: I should note that this only happens going to a higher speed limit. When dropping to a lower limit it almost always drops my cruise speed down to the posted limit (plus offset)
You said u have to set the speed correctly, but then you said, cruising 35 MPH in a 30 MPH…. Can you explain how do you get your AP to really adjust to HIGHER speed limits?

Also does it work for you the same way on highways?

You said u have to set the speed correctly, but then you said, cruising 35 MPH in a 30 MPH…. Can you explain how do you get your AP to really adjust to HIGHER speed limits?

Also does it work for you the same way on highways?
Sorry I guess I wasn’t 100% clear.

I have a +5 mph offset set for AP, so in a 30mph zone, it will do 35mph (etc).

So when I say “correctly” I just mean that the AP is set to the maximum speed allowable. If it’s NOT set to the maximum allowable speed for a particular speed zone (so 33mph in a 30 zone, for example), it doesn’t seem to change when entering a new zone. Strange.

Not 100% sure on highways as I don’t normally drive on them, but I believe it does. But like I said, only if the AP is set to the maximum speed for the zone.

Sorry I guess I wasn’t 100% clear.

I have a +5 mph offset set for AP, so in a 30mph zone, it will do 35mph (etc).

So when I say “correctly” I just mean that the AP is set to the maximum speed allowable. If it’s NOT set to the maximum allowable speed for a particular speed zone (so 33mph in a 30 zone, for example), it doesn’t seem to change when entering a new zone. Strange.

Not 100% sure on highways as I don’t normally drive on them, but I believe it does. But like I said, only if the AP is set to the maximum speed for the zone.
With the +5 MPH or a cruise control value matching offset, the car would only REDUCE it's speed when passing another speed sign. It does that only because AP only works if the car is cruising at a no more than 5MPH above the posted speed. HOWEVER, it will NOT adjust the speed UP. It will only adjust down.

Can you check again and confirm that?

With the +5 MPH or a cruise control value matching offset, the car would only REDUCE it's speed when passing another speed sign. It does that only because AP only works if the car is cruising at a no more than 5MPH above the posted speed. HOWEVER, it will NOT adjust the speed UP. It will only adjust down.

Can you check again and confirm that?
No, it definitely increases (and decreases) the speed. I will try to capture some video tomorrow showing it happening.

No, it definitely increases (and decreases) the speed. I will try to capture some video tomorrow showing it happening.
Yes, I'd really appreciate it if u can do that. I'll also PM u now. Also are you on FSD or regular AP and what car are you driving and model year? I just came back from a test drive and it never adjusts UP to a higher speed limit sign.

Reactions: CCopperpot