Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dynamic / Auto speed-limit adjust (Auto-Pilot)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I managed to capture some video this morning. The road doesn’t have a whole lot of speed limit changes so I don’t have much opportunity for back to back testing and traffic is far too busy.

With that said, I tired to capture this 3 times today, and out of those 3, this was the only instance of the car automatically increasing its speed. I’m not sure why it only happened here and not the 2 other changes along my route but I’m going to start paying a little more attention to try and figure it out. I can say for a fact, that my car HAS changed its speed at the other 2 places it didn’t do it this morning (in the past).

It’s worth noting that when I first got my model 3 in the spring, it seemed to be a lot more aggressive about maintaining the speed of the vehicle according to the road signs, but has since gotten worse as I’ve received updates.

Anyway, here is the video

I managed to capture some video this morning. The road doesn’t have a whole lot of speed limit changes so I don’t have much opportunity for back to back testing and traffic is far too busy.

With that said, I tired to capture this 3 times today, and out of those 3, this was the only instance of the car automatically increasing its speed. I’m not sure why it only happened here and not the 2 other changes along my route but I’m going to start paying a little more attention to try and figure it out. I can say for a fact, that my car HAS changed its speed at the other 2 places it didn’t do it this morning (in the past).

It’s worth noting that when I first got my model 3 in the spring, it seemed to be a lot more aggressive about maintaining the speed of the vehicle according to the road signs, but has since gotten worse as I’ve received updates.

Anyway, here is the video

I think I might have figured it out too.. I went through a number of routes last night. I noticed, that if and when it increases speed, it ONLY happens on a single lane roads, and mostly if the car had already reduced it's speed not so long time ago too.
On most other streets, it does NOT increase it's speed anymore especually on a two lane road.

Would you say that this matches your experience too?

Also how about reducing the speed? Mine only does it for the sake of staying within 5MPH maximum delta from posted speed. But again, increasing speed, is a headache and hit or miss, and mostly only on single lane roads, and even that, is a matter of luck. What a crappy AP by Tesla. All my BMWs and Mbenz cars starting 2016 have been doing much better adaptive speed limit following!

Reactions: CCopperpot
So I just did more driving tests today... I can confirm that the auto adjust to higher speed only happens on certain routes only, and mostly 99% of the times only when it is a single lane type of a road. If it's multiple lanes in-town, it does not adjust up. In-town and a single lane each side, then it will adjust. Of course, on highways, this way it does nothing.

I wish if someone can crack the code and let us know all the stupid conditions that AP looks for. If you live by luck on a road that has all these conditions every time u drive, this is one reason we see some people reporting it is working on their cars vs others saying it does not work.

I’ve been watching my model 3 in Autopilot very close lately and, besides the video I posted earlier, I actually haven’t been able to get it to automatically increase the speed when entering a higher zone. Even stranger is in the video I posted, it actually happened in a school zone which is super surprising… I can’t recall another time (recently at least) that it adjusted its speed for a school zone.

Whatever the case, Im not sure if I’m going crazy but I feel like AP and the zone speed adjustment was a lot better when I got my car around June of this year. Perhaps there was an update that introduced some bugs?

I’ve been watching my model 3 in Autopilot very close lately and, besides the video I posted earlier, I actually haven’t been able to get it to automatically increase the speed when entering a higher zone. Even stranger is in the video I posted, it actually happened in a school zone which is super surprising… I can’t recall another time (recently at least) that it adjusted its speed for a school zone.

Whatever the case, Im not sure if I’m going crazy but I feel like AP and the zone speed adjustment was a lot better when I got my car around June of this year. Perhaps there was an update that introduced some bugs?
At least am not crazy. I have been watching mine too and it is just soooo random, but most of the time simply it does NOT increase or decrease the speed. It only decrease it in a single instance which is to be no more than 5 MPH above speed, but it does not increase for sure (except on rare occasions and mostly on single lane roads).

I hope this is just a bug in the recent update or whatever…

I give up trying to figure this out. I just witnessed autopilot not just increasing my max speed when entering a higher speed zone, but it’s a sign I pass every day (and on a 2 lane road no doubt).

I’m convinced auto increasing the speed limit is normal behavior, it’s just broken AF

Just been on 100 mile trip, majority on single lane road (last 30km or 18miles was highway section) and AP1 did accelerated on all the sections on the road back to the higher speed limit (plus set tolerance). On that two lane highway section autopilot did not changed the speed automatically to higher limit neither it did not degreased to lower if the signs did changed the limit.
I have seen this discussion so perhaps the menu is similar to model 3 than with the vertical screen models, worth to look…

Just been on 100 mile trip, majority on single lane road (last 30km or 18miles was highway section) and AP1 did accelerated on all the sections on the road back to the higher speed limit (plus set tolerance). On that two lane highway section autopilot did not changed the speed automatically to higher limit neither it did not degreased to lower if the signs did changed the limit.
I have seen this discussion so perhaps the menu is similar to model 3 than with the vertical screen models, worth to look…

Yeah, I noticed the same. Sometimes** it may work on a single lane road but not always, but on highways or 2 lane roads it never works now. Certainly there is a bug... it is a shame that in my view AP is not as good as I thought it would be compared to Germans cars that I even owned in 2015!!! 8 years ago my BMW used to do speed-auto-assist!!!!!!!

I have a 1 month old MY with Software V11.1 2023.32.7. I have not purchased the upgrades to autopilot. This feature has had me similarly puzzled. After rereading the manual here is my take:
Traffic Aware Cruise Control: Controls > Autopilot > Set Speed set to Speed Limit, set speed offset is fixed, value 3 MPH. I'll use this offset in examples.
If you are traveling less than speed limit + fixed prior to enabling TACC the MAX speed displayed will be the current Speed limit+ offset, if you are going faster it will display the current speed of the vehicle. Enabling TACC at this point sets the maximum speed TACC will go to the value displayed as max at that moment.

TACC, when enabled by itself, does not change its MAX setting when it passes by a new speed limit sign. The car will continue at MAX speed until the driver intervenes.

Autosteer layers on top of TACC. When it is enabled it will override the TACC speed you set if the current speed limit is 5 or more miles less than the set speed. Autosteer never increases the speed above the TACC setting.

So, if you are driving along at 20MPH in a 25 zone with my settings and enable TACC (but not auto steer) your speed will be set to 28 (25+3)
if you then pass a 55 MPH Speed Limit sign the car will continue to travel at 28.
at this point you can adjust the setting with the scroll wheel or tap on the speed limit sign on the display. Doing the later will set 58 (55+3)
Assuming you tapped the speed limit sign.. you are now traveling at 58mph
if you then pass a 25MPH speed limit sign you will still be traveling at 58mph
TACC drives at the speed you set it to.

if you now enable autosteer it will limit the current speed to 30 (25+5) and warn you it is limiting the speed for safety but not change the TACC speed setting you had previously set.
pass a 35MPH sign it will bump the speed up to 40 (35+5) and warn you it is limiting speed for safety
pass a 55mph sign it will bump the speed up to 58 (the previously set TACC MAX speed setting).
pass a 70mph sign it will continue to drive at 58mph.
pass a 45mph sign it will slow down to 50 (45+5).

For me this was even more confusing because I had initially set my fixed offset to 5 so the autosteer limit seemed to be honoring my configured TACC offset. Carefully reading the manual related to settings may make sense now once you've read my description.

The speed adjustments with autosteer on are done by tesla because they apparently don't want the car driving itself at more than 5 over the speed limit.
My guess is the TACC setting limiting the MAX speed is done so that driver can limit the max speed the car will go regardless of what it thinks it saw on a speed limit sign.

I would like to see Tesla modify TACC and Autosteer in a manner similar to this:
  1. Add an option to allow TACC to adjust a new Current Speed dynamically based on speed limit signs + offset.
  2. Add a setting for MAX Auto Set Current Speed TACC can self adjust to on its own.
  3. Still allow the driver to set or increase the MAX speed setting with either the scroll or sign tap but keep current speed at speed limit+offset if option 1 is enabled.... This may make a few drivers unhappy. .
  4. Change autosteer to use the TACC "current speed" speed unless it exceeds Tesla's safety limiter (currently 5mph).

curious to hear how your non tesla cars handled the driver's ability to limit overall max speed and how it handled the driver attempting to increase the current speed above the speed limit + any offset.

It’s simple and does not need all that Tesla manual description: Tesla system is dump!!!.

In my non-Tesla cars (Mbenz and BMW), they simply adjust to the posted speed ALWAYS when I enable that option, whether it’s up or down plus a certain offset within 5 MPH…. If I manually change the speed limit, car will take that just fine, until it sees a new posted sign again and it will auto-adjust (as long as I am activating the auto speed limit adjust feature)!. Tesla should just do that….

They are dump because this is how it works already via full FSD!…. Hence they know it, but just too lazy to optimize auto-pilot!. I do NOT want to use dump full FSD (which I have now) to make that work… I simply want autopilot to do what many other cars are doing!… Just fully the freaking posted speed sign!

Interesting subject. I am wondering this help to avoid many speed traps in Hawaii. I got into one few years ago. Driving smoothly on a high way in a mountain area at 60 MPH, mostly deserted aream then got stopped by a police car. He then showed me a sign "40MPH" about 100 yards in front of me. Of course He ticketed me for over speeding. I asked him, when did the speed limit just drop down from 60 to 40. He said I already passed by it and the one in front is the 2nd !!! I said the highway did not appear to change regarding to many people or construction around, why the speed limit drops ? He simply said I have to watch sign on the road. OK my fault, I still believe this is a speed trap. Later, I watched and indeed there are more sections like this everywhere.
Will AP , EAP or FSD help to adjust speed according to these signs?
My best bet is I will have to watch the speed limit and adjust if the car does not do it.

I have a 1 month old MY with Software V11.1 2023.32.7. I have not purchased the upgrades to autopilot. This feature has had me similarly puzzled. After rereading the manual here is my take:
Traffic Aware Cruise Control: Controls > Autopilot > Set Speed set to Speed Limit, set speed offset is fixed, value 3 MPH. I'll use this offset in examples.
If you are traveling less than speed limit + fixed prior to enabling TACC the MAX speed displayed will be the current Speed limit+ offset, if you are going faster it will display the current speed of the vehicle. Enabling TACC at this point sets the maximum speed TACC will go to the value displayed as max at that moment.

TACC, when enabled by itself, does not change its MAX setting when it passes by a new speed limit sign. The car will continue at MAX speed until the driver intervenes.

Autosteer layers on top of TACC. When it is enabled it will override the TACC speed you set if the current speed limit is 5 or more miles less than the set speed. Autosteer never increases the speed above the TACC setting.

So, if you are driving along at 20MPH in a 25 zone with my settings and enable TACC (but not auto steer) your speed will be set to 28 (25+3)
if you then pass a 55 MPH Speed Limit sign the car will continue to travel at 28.
at this point you can adjust the setting with the scroll wheel or tap on the speed limit sign on the display. Doing the later will set 58 (55+3)
Assuming you tapped the speed limit sign.. you are now traveling at 58mph
if you then pass a 25MPH speed limit sign you will still be traveling at 58mph
TACC drives at the speed you set it to.

if you now enable autosteer it will limit the current speed to 30 (25+5) and warn you it is limiting the speed for safety but not change the TACC speed setting you had previously set.
pass a 35MPH sign it will bump the speed up to 40 (35+5) and warn you it is limiting speed for safety
pass a 55mph sign it will bump the speed up to 58 (the previously set TACC MAX speed setting).
pass a 70mph sign it will continue to drive at 58mph.
pass a 45mph sign it will slow down to 50 (45+5).

For me this was even more confusing because I had initially set my fixed offset to 5 so the autosteer limit seemed to be honoring my configured TACC offset. Carefully reading the manual related to settings may make sense now once you've read my description.

The speed adjustments with autosteer on are done by tesla because they apparently don't want the car driving itself at more than 5 over the speed limit.
My guess is the TACC setting limiting the MAX speed is done so that driver can limit the max speed the car will go regardless of what it thinks it saw on a speed limit sign.

I would like to see Tesla modify TACC and Autosteer in a manner similar to this:
  1. Add an option to allow TACC to adjust a new Current Speed dynamically based on speed limit signs + offset.
  2. Add a setting for MAX Auto Set Current Speed TACC can self adjust to on its own.
  3. Still allow the driver to set or increase the MAX speed setting with either the scroll or sign tap but keep current speed at speed limit+offset if option 1 is enabled.... This may make a few drivers unhappy. .
  4. Change autosteer to use the TACC "current speed" speed unless it exceeds Tesla's safety limiter (currently 5mph).

curious to hear how your non tesla cars handled the driver's ability to limit overall max speed and how it handled the driver attempting to increase the current speed above the speed limit + any offset.
Tesla should publish a flowchart showing its decision making regarding speed limits. Even non software expert can read flowcharts. This will eliminate these questions. BTW my carreer is in software design and development. Could work for Tesla but retired and enjoy my retirement.

Tesla should publish a flowchart showing its decision making regarding speed limits. Even non software expert can read flowcharts. This will eliminate these questions. BTW my carreer is in software design and development. Could work for Tesla but retired and enjoy my retirement.
Better documentation would be good. Being new to this I've wondered if the implementation changes from release to release. Given the copious release notes ("This fix contains minor fixes an improvements") we may never know. I developed embedded systems and every thing that goes bump makes me want to see the code too. A couple days after my prior comment I was experimenting with TACC and autosteer. Stopped in a line of cars at a light I enabled TACC, used the scroll wheel up to 60 something. I double tapped to enable autosteer. The idea was to set a high MAX then let autosteer track the posted speed limit + its extra 5mph limit. When the traffic started moving so did my car. Traffic turned off the road and the car accelerated. It went well over the posted speed limit (but not the MAX set). I took a couple pictures of the screen while it was happening but they are blurred. I'm convinced I had autosteer on, the icon is blueish but you can't read the observed speed limit sign. Have not been able to reproduce...

While I know that this conversation is specifically talking about standard Autopilot (non-EAP, non-FSD), I will say that FSD beta does a good job at adjusting the speed up and down. A more recent update introduced additional automated speed adjustments as well. The notifications shown on screen with these updates are:

"Maintaining speed due to the flow of traffic"
This one appears to keep the current speed (or even increase slightly above the speed limit) based on the speed/behavior of surrounding cars.

"Speed limited by road type"
On private/smaller roads (specifically roundabouts, bends, etc...) the car will slow down to take them more safely.

It would be nice if these updates would trickle down to the non-FSD stack.

--

In my experience with AP1 (older tech discontinued in early 2016), it would increase speed when it detected a change but it would not decrease the speed. FSD (non-beta) does the same thing where it will increase but not decrease.