Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise Control vs Basic Autopilot vs Enhanced Autopilot [in Australia]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many thanks to those who might be able to offer some insight into a potential misunderstanding I may have.

I am confused about the differences between "Cruise Control", Basic Autopilot and Enhanced Autopilot - likely from watching too many videos in preparation for delivery (and with potentially mistaken or out-of-date information in one or more videos).

Assuming I have a Model Y RWD, and I am driving on the freeway, am I correct in thinking that:

- One downward press on the right stalk will engage traffic-aware cruise control?
- Two downward press on the right stalk will engage traffic-aware cruise control and autosteer (otherwise known as basic autopilot)?
- If I am in basic autopilot, I will need to change lanes manually to pass a slower car?
- To pass a slower vehicle I indicate, make the lane change (which automatically disengages autosteer), but traffic-aware cruise control will *REMAIN ON*?
- Once I have passed the slower car, I can manually change lanes back, and traffic-aware cruise control will *REMAIN ON*?

If all of the above is true, apart from Summon and AutoPark, what then does Enhanced Auto Pilot give a driver please?

Many thanks for the clarification on this!

- Two downward press on the right stalk will engage traffic-aware cruise control and autosteer (otherwise known as basic autopilot)?
TACC and Autosteer are two features of AP. If you're using TACC without autosteer, then you're using AP without autosteer. It's in the manual. Youtube and TMC are sources of info, but the manual is the definitive source.

Last edited:
Enhanced AUTOPILOT allows you charge lanes under the control of autopilot.

When you come up to a slow vehicle in your lane simply set your blinker to the lane you want to merge into and the car will handle the rest. It will make sure it's clear to lane change or wait till it is clear then change lanes automatically.

Good luck.

-stew

Reactions: MossDaddy
TACC and Autosteer are two features of AP. If you're using TACC without autosteer, then you're using AP without autosteer. It's in the manual. Youtube and TMC are sources of info, but the manual is the definitive source.
Downside is it will stop at every traffic light whether red or green unless you jerk stalk down, but it WILL proceed through green if it can see car moving in front of it. More work...

Reactions: MossDaddy
Many thanks to those who might be able to offer some insight into a potential misunderstanding I may have.

I am confused about the differences between "Cruise Control", Basic Autopilot and Enhanced Autopilot - likely from watching too many videos in preparation for delivery (and with potentially mistaken or out-of-date information in one or more videos).

Assuming I have a Model Y RWD, and I am driving on the freeway, am I correct in thinking that:

- One downward press on the right stalk will engage traffic-aware cruise control?
- If I am in basic autopilot, I will need to change lanes manually to pass a slower car?
- To pass a slower vehicle I indicate, make the lane change (which automatically disengages autosteer), but traffic-aware cruise control will *REMAIN ON*?
- Once I have passed the slower car, I can manually change lanes back, and traffic-aware cruise control will *REMAIN ON*?

If all of the above is true, apart from Summon and AutoPark, what then does Enhanced Auto Pilot give a driver please?

Many thanks for the clarification on this!

Since many times, Which of these features are available, and specific nuances of how they operate, may be different in different countries. OP, you should likely be having this discussion in the subforum for Australia here at TMC:

Reactions: zoomer0056
Since many times, Which of these features are available, and specific nuances of how they operate, may be different in different countries. OP, you should likely be having this discussion in the subforum for Australia here at TMC:

Thank you sir - I wasn't sure if here or in the local area would be a better place to pose this question.

My question has now been re-posted there, and many thanks to those who have shared valuable answers!

Reactions: zoomer0056