Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Cruise Control" vs Autopilot vs Enhanced Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
EDIT: Apologies for the typo in the thread title - the control obviously isn't crude ;)

I had posted this in the Model Y forums (worldwide area), and was suggested to re-post this here by a moderator there, as geographical differences may impact things.

Many thanks to those who might be able to offer some insight into a potential misunderstanding I may have.

I am confused about the differences between "Cruise Control", Basic Autopilot and Enhanced Autopilot - likely from watching too many videos in preparation for delivery (and with potentially mistaken or out-of-date information in one or more videos).

Assuming I have a Model Y RWD, and I am driving on the freeway, am I correct in thinking that:

- One downward press on the right stalk will engage traffic-aware cruise control?
- Two downward press on the right stalk will engage traffic-aware cruise control and autosteer (otherwise known as basic autopilot)?
- If I am in basic autopilot, I will need to change lanes manually to pass a slower car?
- To pass a slower vehicle I indicate, make the lane change (which automatically disengages autosteer), but traffic-aware cruise control will *REMAIN ON*?
- Once I have passed the slower car, I can manually change lanes back, and traffic-aware cruise control will *REMAIN ON*?

If all of the above is true, apart from Summon and AutoPark, what then does Enhanced Auto Pilot give a driver please?

Many thanks for the clarification on this!

Moderators note: Thread typo fixed.

Last edited by a moderator:
You’re correct, when you indicate to change lanes under basic autopilot, as you turn the wheel to change lanes auto steer will be deactivated. TACC remains on.

When you are happy in whatever lane you want to be in, you can double-tap the right stalk again to re-engage auto steer.

With Enhanced Autopilot (EAP), the car will make the lane change for you when it’s safe and keep auto steer engaged throughout the lane changing process.

You also get ‘Navigate on Autopilot’ with the EAP package that, on certain roads like highways, (in theory) should take you from on-ramp to off-ramp autonomously, including automatically changing lanes to overtake slower vehicles.

You’re correct, when you indicate to change lanes under basic autopilot, as you turn the wheel to change lanes auto steer will be deactivated. TACC remains on.

When you are happy in whatever lane you want to be in, you can double-tap the right stalk again to re-engage auto steer.

With Enhanced Autopilot (EAP), the car will make the lane change for you when it’s safe and keep auto steer engaged throughout the lane changing process.

You also get ‘Navigate on Autopilot’ with the EAP package that, on certain roads like highways, (in theory) should take you from on-ramp to off-ramp autonomously, including automatically changing lanes to overtake slower vehicles.
Thank you - it was the best I could understand from too many YouTube videos, and the manual :)

Very much appreciate the clarification!

You also get Summon with Enhanced Autopilot, given it's pretty cheap just buy it after taking delivery (if you do before you get LCT), although if you're getting a RWD I guess it doesn't have LCT so you can get it before.

I wish there was a "basic" cruise control setting under the level of TACC - this might have allowed the driver to maintain control of the wipers instead of the TACC turning on the wipers to automatic. I am often annoyed by the rapidity of the swiping when very light rain is falling and I am using TACC.
with the new software update you can change the speed - you just can’t turn them off :) (it gives you that warning in the wipers menu too).

TACC also enables auto high beam.

But in regards to other manufacturers auto-steer, given my AVIS rental this week, I can say Tesla is well ahead. Tesla at least tries to keep you in the middle of the lane vs others who seem to bounce you between the lines

But in regards to other manufacturers auto-steer, given my AVIS rental this week, I can say Tesla is well ahead. Tesla at least tries to keep you in the middle of the lane vs others who seem to bounce you between the lines
The latest merc autosteer (in eq models) keeps you centred, other than when you choose to go around something. It will then gently bring you back to centre. It recognises roundabouts and adjusts the speed based on your distance choice, and you steer around the roundabout. No need to drop out of autosteer or cruise control before or after. Further it does not react to cars crossing a significant distance in front of you. It is also not beta and does not warn of or have phantom braking of any kind. Once driven you realise how comparatively basic the tesla system is. The auto high beam is a whole next level.
As an owner of an original tesla mobileye system, I dont think tesla has even reached that level yet. It was fantastic and reliable.

• Informative
Reactions: SalisburySam

Auto high beam does not work well (it is too prone to flicking on and off at oncoming traffic). I wish it wasn't slaved to the autopilot setting.

I have only limited experience of other steering-assist (certainly some are pretty crude), but the '22 Kona EV is better than the '23 MY RWD. The MY is fine (good, even) on large freeways. Much less good on regional highways.

I wish there was a "basic" cruise control setting under the level of TACC - this might have allowed the driver to maintain control of the wipers instead of the TACC turning on the wipers to automatic. I am often annoyed by the rapidity of the swiping when very light rain is falling and I am using TACC.
Although it's an extra cost, S3XY Buttons can take care of that issue.

Auto high beam does not work well (it is too prone to flicking on and off at oncoming traffic). I wish it wasn't slaved to the autopilot setting.

I have only limited experience of other steering-assist (certainly some are pretty crude), but the '22 Kona EV is better than the '23 MY RWD. The MY is fine (good, even) on large freeways. Much less good on regional highways.
Auto high beam and auto wipers can both be isolated from autopilot in model s, and presumably model x. I have both wipers and lights deactivated. Surprised tesla do not allow this in model 3/Y

Reactions: JonDarian