Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Curing Paint versus cleaning off bug splats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I picked up my Model 3 this weekend and immediately went all around the back roads where I live -- loved it! But, needless to say, my lovely 3 now has bug splats all over the front. I read in a different post that it is good to let the paint cure for 30 days before washing. On the other hand, isn't also true that bug splats can hurt the paint? I'd love some advice on whether I should wash or not this weekend.

Thanks,

Jeff

This is what I have used when I travel along i-10 through Louisiana - Bug city at twilight!

If you do it fairly soon after the trip and before the sun really bakes it in, the bugs come of easy with a good quality microfiber cloth and the turtle wax product.

Turtle Wax 50595 Power Foam Bug & Tar Remover - 16 oz.
by Turtle Wax

Walmart also caries it. Get the foam (aerosol) version. It clings much better than the spray version at Target.

Hello,

I picked up my Model 3 this weekend and immediately went all around the back roads where I live -- loved it! But, needless to say, my lovely 3 now has bug splats all over the front. I read in a different post that it is good to let the paint cure for 30 days before washing. On the other hand, isn't also true that bug splats can hurt the paint? I'd love some advice on whether I should wash or not this weekend.

Thanks,

Jeff

I always thought that was more for waxing, because it doesn't let the paint breathe or whatever