Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my account set as cash. Tesla can easily set it back to finance later once you get a VIN. I did this due to seeing high number of people exceed the loan offer expiration date waiting for their VIN which requires you to apply a second time. No need for more credit pulls if you just wait for VIN first. It's needed for applying for 3rd party loan from somewhere like DCU anyway.
Wow I wish I knew that earlier. I'm assuming this isn't something I can change now. What do you suggest I do now, just wait? I wonder how long I would need to wait for a vin to get a insurance quote.

Wow I wish I knew that earlier. I'm assuming this isn't something I can change now. What do you suggest I do now, just wait? I wonder how long I would need to wait for a vin to get a insurance quote.
Oh I may have misread your post. I think you can get insurance quote without a VIN. I was referring to financing. I suggest waiting on VIN for that but I see you already did that part. Be prepared it could potentially expire before you take delivery considering wait times are between 60-90 days now and probably getting longer and most financing quotes are not good for that long.

Call your SA. I did the same thing as you. My SA changed it from financing to cash, I submitted my insurance, my current one, and I am all set for now. Once we are closer, you can choose to get and set your financing then.

How do I get in touch with my SA?
I had test driven the car at a dealership near me and had gotten the name of the person that helped me with my questions. Even though I didn't order with him, as he suggested, he was very nice and helped me get the mistakes fixed. I could tell he was going "I told you so" in his head :D
Also doesn't that mean once they change to cash and then back to finance, they will have to run credit again?
From what I am hearing in this forum, if you stick to the same place you got the pre approval from, they may do a soft hit. If you went to another institution, then it will be a hard hit.

Hiya tesmaniacs! Long time lurker, first time poster. Thanks to the great info on this forum, I placed my order at the end of July. The wife and I were originally looking to get a second car in January next year, but given the volatility with delivery dates and such, was able to convince her we should place the order sooner than later! :)

Specs: MYLR, MSM/Black, 19" wheels, Tow hitch, no FSD. Ordered July 27, current estimated delivery date: 10/30 - 11/19 (just updated today). AFAIK, I don't have a VIN. Oh and I'm located in Chicago.

Side note question for this community: I just started exploring finance options (currently set to cash payment, as we were initially going to buy outright), and have been learning a lot about Tesla finance/matching and 3rd parties. My bank will easily finance us, but it's not a great rate (we're with Citi). Wondering if anyone knows a good local CU I can use in Chicago? Spoke to one local CU and they had a affiliation requirement that we don't have. Was reading about DCU, but can't find any info on their requirements to join. Do they require a reference? Anyone know?
Thanks!

Hiya tesmaniacs! Long time lurker, first time poster. Thanks to the great info on this forum, I placed my order at the end of July. The wife and I were originally looking to get a second car in January next year, but given the volatility with delivery dates and such, was able to convince her we should place the order sooner than later! :)

Specs: MYLR, MSM/Black, 19" wheels, Tow hitch, no FSD. Ordered July 27, current estimated delivery date: 10/30 - 11/19 (just updated today). AFAIK, I don't have a VIN. Oh and I'm located in Chicago.

Side note question for this community: I just started exploring finance options (currently set to cash payment, as we were initially going to buy outright), and have been learning a lot about Tesla finance/matching and 3rd parties. My bank will easily finance us, but it's not a great rate (we're with Citi). Wondering if anyone knows a good local CU I can use in Chicago? Spoke to one local CU and they had a affiliation requirement that we don't have. Was reading about DCU, but can't find any info on their requirements to join. Do they require a reference? Anyone know?
Thanks!
Buy it out right and enjoy an amazing vehicle without monthly payments :)