Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One more question team MY -
Do I HAVE TO get the registration for the car done through Tesla? The TAVT is understood and fair but the registration fee in Georgia is about $18 and $20 for tag… but Tesla is charging $3xx and profiting from that too.

Anyone experienced with dealing with this?
Alternatives?
Fellow Georgia resident. Unfortunately, our state adds an additional $214 yearly licensing fee for all-electric vehicles. The fee is $320 if the vehicle is used commercially.

The fee goes towards road maintenance. It keeps the state from losing tax revenue since the road maintenance taxes are otherwise collected at the gas pump you will no longer use.

I was surprised at this but I agree that we should pay our fair share to maintain the public roads we use.

The only thing I don't agree with is that when you pay at the pump, you pay based on usage. The more you drive, the more you gas up, the more you pay in gas taxes. For the EV version, however, they just pulled a number (perhaps too high) out of the air and decided that would be about "right". It seems high to me.

Last edited:
Well I'm in a bit of a grumpy mood.

My husband had to drop off our S for service this morning. He wanted to speak to a live person about 3 things: 1 - how long it would take (to wait or take Uber); 2 - a request of our whole service history for 7 years; 3 - can we pick up the Y at the same time as the S if he's leaving it overnight anyway.

He couldn't get a live person. They just spoke to him via app. Told him to check the app for service history (assh0le, it only goes back 2 years not 7...) They also said the delivery team didn't arrive until 9 so they'd call me.

Well I just got that call and the person spoke to me a little bit like I was stupid because apparently my Y hasn't even left the factory yet.

So I refreshed my account while I was on the phone and my delivery window moved back a week. Now 11/21-11/27. Why do they even bother with delivery windows? Now I don't feel comfortable with my insurance listing a car that is no longer imminently being delivered.

Here are links to all the accessories I bought- I especially recommend the floor mats- they’re sturdy and for a great price!! (apologies for the long post)
I think if I linked all of mine, it would take up a full page. Much to my wife's dismay. 😆

Wow! That's really messed up. While others on this site aren't sympathetic, people in this thread (mostly) would be very sympathetic. That's a really bad business move by Tesla.

If a customer wants to give you $10k donation, aka pure profit, that is not the time to bilk another $4k just to see if you can. That's either pure apathy for the customer, or hubris in thinking that nothing you do could ever erode demand or customer loyalty.
Yea, while I understand that wanting to make absolutely certain about what the costs may be for doing anything different to one's build, the lack of sympathy in that thread, especially for something that really doesn't make sense, was amazing to me. It is literally turning something on or off, and every vehicle comes with that capability so it isn't changing a thing. It goes back to what I had hoped most people learned as children, but judging from some of those responses that was not the case: If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything.

Fellow Georgia resident. Unfortunately, our state adds an additional $214 yearly licensing fee for all-electric vehicles. The fee is $320 if the vehicle is used commercially.

The fee goes towards road maintenance. It keeps the state from losing tax revenue since the road maintenance taxes are otherwise collected at the gas pump you will no longer use.

I was surprised at this but I agree that we should pay our fair share to maintain the public roads we use.

The only thing I don't agree with is that when you pay at the pump, you pay based on usage. The more you drive, the more you gas up, the more you pay in gas taxes. For the EV version, however, they just pulled a number (perhaps too high) out of the air and decided that would be about "right". It seems high to me.

Good point and thing I did not think about when ordering. I live in Idaho, and there are NO incentives here, and Idaho Power is doing all they can to make it hard for home solar too. Though I am going to move forward anyway. Tesla does not yet serve the Sun Valley area, but I will likely end up with a Tesla oriented storage situation one way or another. That is likely a year or so away. Probably will start preparing for the project next summer when we intend on building out an ADU above our garage for rental by a teacher/firefighter, etc. as worker housing is a big problem in SV. And will add electric capacity for solar, home charging, etc. That part will be ready by the time I take delivery of the car.

Back to the road tax. Idaho charges an additional $140. I guess that is ok, and I am not too upset. Probably better study it before commenting on any other aspects. More reasonable than Georgia anyway. So here is the info for Idaho folks considering purchase.

337F9235-9D96-4A1B-94DF-D9185EF6B141.png

My husband had to drop off our S for service this morning. He wanted to speak to a live person about 3 things: 1 - how long it would take (to wait or take Uber); 2 - a request of our whole service history for 7 years; 3 - can we pick up the Y at the same time as the S if he's leaving it overnight anyway.

He couldn't get a live person. They just spoke to him via app. Told him to check the app for service history (assh0le, it only goes back 2 years not 7...) They also said the delivery team didn't arrive until 9 so they'd call me.

Well I just got that call and the person spoke to me a little bit like I was stupid because apparently my Y hasn't even left the factory yet.

So I refreshed my account while I was on the phone and my delivery window moved back a week. Now 11/21-11/27. Why do they even bother with delivery windows? Now I don't feel comfortable with my insurance listing a car that is no longer imminently being delivered.
That is a FAR cry from the customer service I am sure you had when you first took delivery of that S. Very unfortunate. As more people have joined the Tesla family the customer service has deteriorated, seems to come with growth. They are now dealing with more and more people, and its a lot more difficult to lose a job nowadays.
I remember when I first became an owner in 2015, there were so few of us that I would say 90% of the time we passed a Tesla, there was a wave, a light flash or some type of acknowledgement. My kids have expressed disappointment that this custom no longer takes place (I'm sure in Cali especially, one's arm would fall off from waving so much now).

Two configuration and upgrade thoughts, questions:

1) Who, like me, will immediately set the screen to dark mode with a nice, crisp set of white lettering, etc. for daytime driving? I just cannot handle a bright gray or white screen in my car. And will move the map to satellite view too for similar reasons. First thing I did on the test drive and was glad it was easy to do. Made me way more comfortable about relying on a screen, along with the voice command feature, as I am normally a good driver’s compartment sporty driving eyes ahead, hands on the wheel guy. Made me happy I could darken the screen and still have it usable, and control everything I really need from the steering wheel.

2) Anyone know anything about aftermarket suspension upgrades? I watched one German Autobahn vid, and he said the ride at higher speeds was a little skittish and lacked a little precision as compared to say the Audi, etc., on rougher roads at speed. Granted, he was talking autobahn, but I travel at 85-ish along I-84, I-82, and I-90, along with back country mountain roads that can have weird bumps and rolls, cracks, etc., and it would be nice to improve that aspect of the ride/handling. Betting that is something that a person can upgrade if they want, or will be.

Reactions: ArrogantSeeker
Good point and thing I did not think about when ordering. I live in Idaho, and there are NO incentives here, and Idaho Power is doing all they can to make it hard for home solar too. Though I am going to move forward anyway. Tesla does not yet serve the Sun Valley area, but I will likely end up with a Tesla oriented storage situation one way or another. That is likely a year or so away. Probably will start preparing for the project next summer when we intend on building out an ADU above our garage for rental by a teacher/firefighter, etc. as worker housing is a big problem in SV. And will add electric capacity for solar, home charging, etc. That part will be ready by the time I take delivery of the car.

Back to the road tax. Idaho charges an additional $140. I guess that is ok, and I am not too upset. Probably better study it before commenting on any other aspects. More reasonable than Georgia anyway. So here is the info for Idaho folks considering purchase.
The EV fee in TN is $100 registration fee in addition to the EV state registration fee of $26.50 (which I think is the standard vehicle registration fee).

That is a FAR cry from the customer service I am sure you had when you first took delivery of that S. Very unfortunate. As more people have joined the Tesla family the customer service has deteriorated, seems to come with growth. They are now dealing with more and more people, and its a lot more difficult to lose a job nowadays.
I remember when I first became an owner in 2015, there were so few of us that I would say 90% of the time we passed a Tesla, there was a wave, a light flash or some type of acknowledgement. My kids have expressed disappointment that this custom no longer takes place (I'm sure in Cali especially, one's arm would fall off from waving so much now).
Interested in what I find when I get close to delivery date in Idaho. My rep for my order is a nice younger woman in Salt Lake City, and she seemed pretty good, and indicated I would be able to access her as a guide, and provided a number to text her. Will see how that works out.

Idaho is still really small in terms of people, and will be interested to see what sort of staffing they have over In Boise where the center is. Only place in the state to get service, as an insurance guy who is my law client told me in relation to a claim he assisted with. Part of living out here is that is often the case. Only apple store in the state too Is over there. BUT, if it is decently staffed, one might still get that smaller numbers experience there. Again, will be interesting to see.

2) Anyone know anything about aftermarket suspension upgrades? I watched one German Autobahn vid, and he said the ride at higher speeds was a little skittish and lacked a little precision as compared to say the Audi, etc., on rougher roads at speed. Granted, he was talking autobahn, but I travel at 85-ish along I-84, I-82, and I-90, along with back country mountain roads that can have weird bumps and rolls, cracks, etc., and it would be nice to improve that aspect of the ride/handling. Betting that is something that a person can upgrade if they want, or will be.
I have seen a lot of videos about suspension upgrades and the main two seem to be Mountain Pass Performance and Unplugged Performance.
A lot of YouTube videos discussing these.

The EV fee in TN is $100 registration fee in addition to the EV state registration fee of $26.50 (which I think is the standard vehicle registration fee).
The only thing I know anything about in Nashville is music. I am excited for this rig also as it looks like I can stand up my Fender 4x10 amp in there if I want to take it to a gig or something. (as long as I can strap it upright. Will need to figure out some ways to bungee/strap load). short of a van/mini-van or truck, not many cars can do that.

Which brings me to another thought. I would really hope that they come up with a stripped down vehicle on a similar platform with this sort of carrying capacity for general family use that costs less. This vehicle, especially in the 7 seat mode as long as the kids in the way back are little, could functionally replace mini-vans, larger sport utes, etc. for family truckster use. And a lower cost family version would be a good thing for the world.

I can't over state how much better things were back then in terms of human interaction. I get that the app works but sometimes I just want to speak to a human! And this bouncing EDD thing is just pointless and disappointing. Why even bother showing it let alone letting it skip around? Granted in 2014 we didn't know exactly when our car was coming either, but there was no estimate popping up making us think a car was coming 3 days. Grr.

And service? Forget it. They used to bend over backwards for us. Now we're faceless nobodies. The fact that no one can help me get my 7 year history is pissing me off big time.

I have seen a lot of videos about suspension upgrades and the main two seem to be Mountain Pass Performance and Unplugged Performance.

Thank you. I will drive stock at first for a while, when I get to know the car. But good to know there are already options out there.

I can't over state how much better things were back then in terms of human interaction. I get that the app works but sometimes I just want to speak to a human! And this bouncing EDD thing is just pointless and disappointing. Why even bother showing it let alone letting it skip around? Granted in 2014 we didn't know exactly when our car was coming either, but there was no estimate popping up making us think a car was coming 3 days. Grr.

And service? Forget it. They used to bend over backwards for us. Now we're faceless nobodies. The fact that no one can help me get my 7 year history is pissing me off big time.
I am sorry to hear this. Will make a mental note to screen shot all service history as I go for a file that I control. Hoping they adjust to reaching the steeper part of the J curve and fix some of this. They are forging lots of new ground and way ahead of the industry in a lot of respects, but will need to work to improve these things if they want to keep their position in the market as other companies, including big players like Ford, get closer to the steep parts of their J curves.

I would hate to see something happen like when Alfa was making really good sport cars, and with good service network, the experience could have been as good as with BMW, only to fail due to quality control things not related to driving aspects of the vehicle, and poor dealer network so that issues were poorly addressed. I am talking about days when Alfas were still built in Milan. Not the more recent Fiat conglomerate days.

Reactions: ArrogantSeeker
Thank you. I will drive stock at first for a while, when I get to know the car. But good to know there are already options out there.

Redwood Motorsports is a 3rd option with their Ohlins setup.

All 3 vendors participate on this forum and you can search for their Vendor threads/discussions.

I am sorry to hear this. Will make a mental note to screen shot all service history as I go for a file that I control. Hoping they adjust to reaching the steeper part of the J curve and fix some of this. They are forging lots of new ground and way ahead of the industry in a lot of respects, but will need to work to improve these things if they want to keep their position in the market as other companies, including big players like Ford, get closer to the steep parts of their J curves.

I would hate to see something happen like when Alfa was making really good sport cars, and with good service network, the experience could have been as good as with BMW, only to fail due to quality control things not related to driving aspects of the vehicle, and poor dealer network so that issues were poorly addressed. I am talking about days when Alfas were still built in Milan. Not the more recent Fiat conglomerate days.
Things have changed so much in these 7 years that I get they rely on an app now but to hear them say "your history is in your app" knowing full well it only captures recent years and not my full history is annoying. Yes, I could have/would have/should have saved things each time they happened myself, I just thought I'd find them in my online account where they always were.

Now that I've crossed 100k miles people have asked me to make a video update of that experience and having a service history is part of that.

The only thing I know anything about in Nashville is music. I am excited for this rig also as it looks like I can stand up my Fender 4x10 amp in there if I want to take it to a gig or something. (as long as I can strap it upright. Will need to figure out some ways to bungee/strap load). short of a van/mini-van or truck, not many cars can do that.

Which brings me to another thought. I would really hope that they come up with a stripped down vehicle on a similar platform with this sort of carrying capacity for general family use that costs less. This vehicle, especially in the 7 seat mode as long as the kids in the way back are little, could functionally replace mini-vans, larger sport utes, etc. for family truckster use. And a lower cost family version would be a good thing for the world.
I think you should be able to stand it up, and probably could use some bungee cord, attaching to the both front and back sub trunks. I used to have a one, seems like a lifetime ago.

Going to do more research based on your starting points. Thanks! My goal will be reducing any unsettledness coming from rolls in the road/bumps/frost heaves, etc. while keeping not harsh. I was pretty pleased on my half hour test drive in and around Salt Lake City, where the highways and freeways have some rough spots, as in all the Intermountain west. But as long as this ends up being a car I keep a long time, I may as well get it set up for my needs as best as possible. Not looking to build an SCCA car or autocross experience by any stretch. Just good, swift but not crazy, mountain and interstate driving, with allowance for a little (not too much, but a little) dirt road in summer to the trailheads, and snow driving in winter.

@samori01 , do you mean you used to have an amp? Do tell please. Do you play?
I think you should be able to stand it up, and probably could use some bungee cord, attaching to the both front and back sub trunks. I used to have a one, seems like a lifetime ago.

Tesla, known for there service :)

I wish they would do away with the delivery windows. But I suspect they found without a window, people either called more or just cancelled.