Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current EcoHitch doesn't fit new Model S Refresh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is my underside shot of the new Model S at the recent Plaid delivery event. Since there is a removable plate, I think Tesla will be coming out with an OEM hitch solution. I discussed this with an engineer that was present. He din't confirm or deny, but, reading between the lines in the conversation, it seems likely. Look at the dark purple to the far left.

Attachments

• IMG_2922.JPG
    IMG_2922.JPG
    353.2 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_2921.JPG
    IMG_2921.JPG
    459 KB · Views: 94
Reactions: gbailey
Just tried to have a Stealth hitch installed, and the bolt patterns are different. Have to wait until Torklift comes out with a new design, or hope that the Euro hitches come to America. Hope this saves someone else some trouble...
Thanks for the heads-up. I have an Ecohitch on my current S and I’ll be looking to fit a hitch to the new car. Is it the studs on the body of the car to which the hitch bolts that are in a different position? Did you take the rear bumper off and if so do you have any pics?

Thanks for the heads-up. I have an Ecohitch on my current S and I’ll be looking to fit a hitch to the new car. Is it the studs on the body of the car to which the hitch bolts that are in a different position? Did you take the rear bumper off and if so do you have any pics?
Can you share a link to the hitch you have for your current S?

Here is my underside shot of the new Model S at the recent Plaid delivery event. Since there is a removable plate, I think Tesla will be coming out with an OEM hitch solution. I discussed this with an engineer that was present. He din't confirm or deny, but, reading between the lines in the conversation, it seems likely. Look at the dark purple to the far left.
I’d hope so. I had a debate about this on antihero thread and others felt that the S was unlikely to have a hitch in the US and it might be a similar situation to the 3 where CC&Rs supplied to Europe have a hitch o
Can you share a link to the hitch you have for your current S?
sure, here: 2012-2021 Tesla Model S EcoHitch Stealth

Sorry, no pics. My installer has done this install before and said the holes on the hitch do not line up with the frame bolts - they had the bumper off & couldn’t make it work.

Any news on this front? I’d really like to trade in my MX Performance on a new MS and the only thing making me hesitate is the inability to tow my motorcycle on its trailer. It’s not even 1,000lbs (450lb. bike on a 450lb. trailer) so I know the car can handle it without issue, just need a hitch and the ability to wire the lights.

Pure speculation but I wonder if a hitch commonized with the refresh Model X will be made available for the S when that model is launched? The hatch marked “hitch” is certainly there in the parts catalog for the refresh S, so I would have thought it should appear as an option at some point, hopefully for the US market.

Last edited:
Pure speculation but I wonder if a hitch commonized with the refresh Model X will be made available for the S when that model is launched? The hatch marked “hitch” is certainly there in the parts catalog for the refresh S, so I would have thought it should appear as an option at some point, hopefully for the US market.
Interesting question. That certainly sounds plausible.

I've emailed Torklift, and they've been unable to find a Tesla owner that would allow them to fit their car, so, as of now no updates from them.
I would love to find a solution for this (its the last thing I need to finish my year+ long car upgrade)!

A quick update. I’ve managed to buy a factory hitch removed from a 2022 MX which I’ll try fitting to my 2022 MS after I take delivery later this month. It’s a bit of a gamble, however I’mView attachment 768568 hopeful given the sticker on it appears to give a tongue weight for the Model S.
That is a very positive indication that it will work! Also, if you look at the parts diagram for the 22 Model X and 22 Model S, the crash bars look almost identical. The X crash bar is slightly longer, but the mounting points looks exactly the same.

Keep us posted!

Also curious what Tesla's pricing is on this?

Last edited:
That is a very positive indication that it will work! Also, if you look at the parts diagram for the 22 Model X and 22 Model S, the crash bars look almost identical. The X crash bar is slightly longer, but the mounting points looks exactly the same.

Keep us posted!

Also curious what Tesla's pricing is on this?
I’m hopeful the hitch assembly from the X will fit. I bought the hitch as a take-off from a 2022 X, so no idea on used pricing. Also, it seems that X’s from the factory have no bumper crash bars so it looks a simple install. Remove bumper, crash bar from the S, fit hitch and refit rear bumper. Hopeful everything lines up. I’ll also have a look around for a wiring connector for the hitch while I’m in there and report back some time in the next month.

Last edited:
Reactions: cmarshack