Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current (not) Included Type 2 Cable length

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone who has had a recent delivery of a Model 3 that included a type 2 cable tell me what length it was, Apparently I am receiving car delivery next week, but without a type 2 cable, the lady on the call said she thought it was normally 2 or 2.5m in length but was not completely sure, I was thinking of getting a longer one anyway, but wanted to confirm the tesla length so i dont end up with 2 identical ones.

Can anyone who has had a recent delivery of a Model 3 that included a type 2 cable tell me what length it was, Apparently I am receiving car delivery next week, but without a type 2 cable, the lady on the call said she thought it was normally 2 or 2.5m in length but was not completely sure, I was thinking of getting a longer one anyway, but wanted to confirm the tesla length so i dont end up with 2 identical ones.

The Tesla GB website still shows this:
Screen Shot 2020-04-03 at 14.25.15.png

It seems astonishing that an any EV would be supplied without a suitable charge cable. Perhaps can be supplied after ... as per description?

It seems astonishing that an any EV would be supplied without a suitable charge cable. Perhaps can be supplied after ... as per description?

It's just in this situation of moving cars around under lockdown, they clearly aren't put in the cars until they get to this country and in some cases Tesla aren't getting the chance to do it. I understand that they will be sending people cables later on. Screws you over if your only option is public charging or if you bought an untethered home charger though.

That cable in the picture looks like 4m to me.

I just looked at the prices, they're quite steep! I hope mine comes with one as I'll be using public charging only.

Chargemaster list the same cable on their website but they're out of stock too.

Type 2 to Type 2 Cable - 4m 1 Phase – BP Chargemaster

Yes, they're expensive. Check the actual chargers you might be using. I've never actually needed to use my Type 2 cable because the only public chargers I have used had a tethered cable.

Sorry to hijack this somewhat.

Yes, they're expensive. Check the actual chargers you might be using. I've never actually needed to use my Type 2 cable because the only public chargers I have used had a tethered cable.

7KW Polar pillars for me, bring your own cable.

It's even more crucial that they supply you with the UMC mobile charge point cable ....

Indeed! I will have to run a cable out across the pavement and use this initially to get some juice in the car while I'm still at home.

I feel like I should be more annoyed that I didn't get one. I basically can't charge in public unless it's tethered.

But then I can't really drive around, I have a home charger, and am not charging it above 60% while in lockdown anyway.

I have a Blue Type 2 connector.
Interestingly (not really) I parked next to a older (2019) Model 3 who had a black Type 2 connector which was about half the length of mine...certainly significantly shorter. I wonder if Tesla have changed it recently...or sending out whatever they have got stock of.

I have a Blue Type 2 connector.
Interestingly (not really) I parked next to a older (2019) Model 3 who had a black Type 2 connector which was about half the length of mine...certainly significantly shorter. I wonder if Tesla have changed it recently...or sending out whatever they have got stock of.
yes, up until mid september last year they came with 6m blue cables. Between then and more recently they've come with 4m grey ones. They did say they switched because of stock shortages, perhaps they've switched back to 6m blue ones now ?

I think I'd actually prefer the shorter one, I've ordered a 7m one to tide me over, I think the shorter one will end up being more useful for most of my type 2 charging ( I have no home charging) either at work in dedicated parking or at source london (if desperate) the longer one would give me a bit of leeway with the local ubitricity lampposts. will be annoying if i end up with 2 similar 6m and 7m cables.