Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Owners - P90DL to P100D upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How would that be fair though?

Fair...to me,
How would that be fair though?

Again, I don't see TSLA as viewing the extra $10k as trying to be fair to the early "upgraders." If the hardware (other than the bigger battery pack) is present in the P90D's for the upgrade to a P100DL then the way I see it is this, $10k for the L and another $10k for the bigger pack ==> $20k total.

For those who purchased the $10k upgrade to an L prior to the 100 pack being announced, I believe those individuals took a risk with the purchase knowing technology was going to improve and their L "investment" was going to depreciate like most things car related. As technology improves, the early adopters would have paid more than those later down technology evolution chain. Some have said it before, the Model S is a computer that happens to be a car.

I'm waiting to see exactly how much faster a P100D is from a new P90DL. The benchmark is now 0-60 in 2.65 and 1/4 in 10.8. So far it's all speculation and estimation. If it turns out to be just a bigger battery, I don't think they're going to get many current L owners to upgrade for $20k. Personally, I'm hoping for a lot more pull all the way to the 1/4. A 10.6X might be pretty tempting to spend the extra $$$ on upgrading.

Finally got a response back from Tesla on the upgrade for current P90DL owners:

"...We have added your name to our interest list and we will contact you once we have more information available....At this time, it is estimated that the upgrade will begin in early 2017 for delivered vehicles"

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
I'm waiting to see exactly how much faster a P100D is from a new P90DL. The benchmark is now 0-60 in 2.65 and 1/4 in 10.8. So far it's all speculation and estimation. If it turns out to be just a bigger battery, I don't think they're going to get many current L owners to upgrade for $20k. Personally, I'm hoping for a lot more pull all the way to the 1/4. A 10.6X might be pretty tempting to spend the extra $$$ on upgrading.
1.2 seconds from 45mph - 64mph passing acceleration that's pretty amazing.

But doesn't an existing P90DL owner of a delivered car have to pay $20k to upgrade? They already paid $10k for the L upgrade and a 100DL upgrade costs an additional $20k. It wouldn't be fair for the owner of a delivered P90D to be able to upgrade for $20k to a 100DL for a total pride that's $10k less than an existing 90DL owner.
Yeah. I get that. That's the reason they don't do it even though the fact I don't have "L" already doesn't impact what they need to do to upgrade my P90D to the P100DL. So I have to spend $10k to upgrade to "L" which isn't really "needed"

I get why they're doing it. If they didn't, all the L owners would get pissed.

Have any current P90DL owners been told they CAN NOT upgrade their current car to a P100D config ? I'm very interested in any such statements by Tesla in writing (hoping there aren't any).
Yes I bought a new P90DL pre facelift in July and they told me that I cannot upgrade it as the are suspension that it has cannot accomodate the extra weight of the 100kw battery. Very frustrated and disappointed with Tesla...

I am thinking it would be best to roll with my Sept 2015 P90DL V1 until it needs a new battery. Then do the upgrade to whatever rocket ship is available at that time. After all the performance of the P100DL is not significantly better where I spend my time racing ( 0-60 ). This way I get the full value of my 90kw battery before spending the money on the upgrade.