Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I
Sure, it's a lease, but that doesn't mean that I want to drive around in something with bad quality and paint falling off of it. I'm still paying a large amount of money for it, so obviously I want the best product for my money. Also, I'm a keen detailer, so have even kept my current hand-me-down company lease in good shape.

What car maker is making 50k cars that are bad quality with paint falling off? This is starting to sound like a FUD post...

Reactions: 30seconds
I’m not an early adopter. I was fascinated by the Model S and X (and even the roadster) but they just were not around long enough for me to be comfortable. With so many Model 3’s on the road and Tesla now having been in business many years I was comfortable buying the Model 3.

Personally I would not want to buy the first EV that any car manufacturer builds, whether it be Jaguar, Audi or VW. Chevy did an OK job with the Bolt but it couldn’t compete with the Model 3 once that came out, and really nothing else at this point can. Maybe the other car companies will get there but I don’t need to be a beta tester to see if Jaguar or any other company can figure out how to build and support an EV. With only 1,000 Jaguar’s sold to date in the US I would be very skeptical of them.

My first thought is - would the Model S be a better comparison against the i-Pace, given that the price is similar (at least on our NZ market) and the Model S includes such features as the electric tailgate you mentioned (and actually has a tailgate, for that matter). Perhaps air suspension of the Model S gives a ride more similar to the Jaguar. I have driven an S and found it surprisingly taut and responsive - I was expecting a Mercedes Airmatic experience. Basically, my thoughts are not to rule out the S just because the Model 3 is newer to the market. S has also had recent improvements in efficiency and driving range.

-Alex

Tesla have very bad reliability ratings in the US. Many problems. Only Cadillac and Volvo are considered worse.
But if it drives, it's fine.

105527297-winnerslosers.png

Isn’t there some issue with leases not being attractive on Model 3 because there is no option to buy?

Personally, as much as there has been QA issues with Tesla ( and still is ) I-Pace is a complete crap shoot from a company that already has a poor track record on QA. And absolutely none in the EV world.

Even though there have been some unlucky Tesla owners hit harder with some of the QA issues than others. There are tons and tons that are happy with what they see. Note also a lot of QA issues are due to delivery handling and not necessarily manufacturing.

Keep in mind some “QA” issues are around it being an efficient EV. Using new lighter materials etc.

If you want to avoid QA issues and the risk of cutting edge, you should avoid both. I trust Tesla on core things such as Battery longevity, Battery efficiency, Battery safety. They are absolutely leaps and bounds ahead of anyone. Also drive units. Jaguar probably has more experience in paint, body, interior rattles, noise insulation etc. and suspension.

Take your pick as to what is more important to you. Since it is an EV the Battery is on the top of my list.

Tesla have very bad reliability ratings in the US. Many problems. Only Cadillac and Volvo are considered worse.
But if it drives, it's fine.

View attachment 414369

And where would Jaguar land on that list? Bet somewhere around Volvo (give or take).

Don’t forget to show the Customer satisfaction list along with that where Tesla, despite QA issues, is #1, I’m sure Jaguar would be low on that list too.

Tesla Model 3 loses recommendation in U.S. survey; Jaguar, Land Rover, Fiat in bottom places

Last edited:
Yes, most reliable brands are Subaru, Genesis, Audi, Porsche and Lexus.
Tesla and Jaguar are not known for making reliable cars.

"Genesis, Hyundai’s luxury brand, took second place after Subaru in the ranking, slipping from No. 1 last year. The others in the top five also are premium marques: Porsche and Audi, followed by Lexus.
The sedan’s fall from grace contributed to Tesla dropping to No. 19 in Consumer Reports’ brand rankings, down 11 spots from last year and its lowest ever."

What car maker is making 50k cars that are bad quality with paint falling off? This is starting to sound like a FUD post...
Have you not seen the numerous posts on these very forums of people with their rockers, lower doors and rear bumpers losing paint like termites have been at it? I'm only getting info from these forums. I've never seen anything so bad on any car if any price before, which makes me somewhat hesitant. Also it seems to be well known that the Tesla paint is thin and quite soft (I.E. easy to damage.)

Whilst that might not be an issue for some, it'd irk me if I bought a Model 3 Performance and it looked like somebody had sandblasted the paint off the sills and lower doors after just 4000 miles.

As for the person who said about looking at a Model S - the lease price of a Model S is far higher than for an I-Pace. The Model 3 Performance is much closer in price on a lease... Here in the UK at least.

As for the Jag reliability, it may be an unknown, but big issues seem uncommon so far from what I can see and they're made in Austria, not by Jag in the UK, so potentially quality could be much better. Reviews certainly suggest that's the case.

FWIW I saw (and sat in) a Model 3 for the first time earlier (albeit a LHD model, as there aren't any RHD models in the UK yet.)

I liked it, but still wish it had a digital cockpit like the Model S and X and that privacy glass was a factory option.

I also wish I could test drive one...

Kind of ironic, but it looks like the I-Pace forum members are complaining that emergency lane keep assist isn’t working well on the Jaguars either.

Car Auto-Corrects Lane Forceably - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
Not sure if that's more of a US issue, not seen that complained about on the UK forums. Not quite sure how it's ironic though... I'm not saying either car is flawless, otherwise I'd have made a decision already.

Part of me wants the M3P because the performance is so good and this infotainment display is so huge and responsive, but on the other side it's lacking on options and quality seems to be a concern.

A lot of the tech packages you normally have to pay for with other cars is included for all Teslas. I have also had more features added from over the air updates during the 6 months I've had my Model 3 than when I got into a new 3 year lease on my previous Mercedes so this is definitely something to consider as well.

Reactions: Scott7
Hi all, first post, so be gentle!

I currently have a Jaguar I-Pace on order because there weren't any lease options available for Model 3's here in the UK a few weeks ago when I was choosing my new car.

However, I can now get a model 3 on lease, so I'm considering changing the order to a Model 3 Performance instead.

That said, whilst I'm aware that the M3P is faster than the I-Pace and has that big cool touch screen and slightly better range, I've seen a lot of people online saying that the Model 3 quality isn't that great. Paint scratches aren't a major issue for me because I have a polisher and could therefore correct them myself (assuming they're not too awful), but things like misaligned panels and off-centre steering wheels etc are more worrying, especially as here in the UK the car will be one of the first here and knowledge will therefore be limited, plus there's only one service centre nearby.

Also, all the options I had added to the I-Pace are simply not available on the Model 3, which is annoying. Common things like privacy glass, just aren't available (and I can't add it because the car is a lease and I don't think work will allow me due to insurance), plus air suspension, head-up display, adaptive matrix headlights, power tailgate etc don't seem to be available on the Model 3.

As such, I'm torn. Part of me wants the M3P because the performance is so good and this infotainment display is so huge and responsive, but on the other side it's lacking on options and quality seems to be a concern.

Another trade off is that it's slightly cheaper than the I-Pace if I don't spec the full autonomous driving, which I think would be the case as the roads I tend to travel don't really lend themselves to autonomous driving and more importantly, who buys a car this quick to have it drive itself?!

I posted a similar thread on the I-Pace forums, and the support was mostly in favour of the I-Pace, as you'd expect, hence my posting here to get an alternative viewpoint.

Thanks
Russell

I've never heard of an off-center steering wheel problem that was not fixable quickly at a Service Center. Ours was off center a bit (early 12xxx VIN), and I took the car in without an appointment and got it fixed in under 30 minutes.

Original Poster- I was (am) in the same camp as you and also was considering the E-Tron and I-Pace. I ended up going with the Model 3 Performance mostly because I found one that I could lease and was $12K off MSRP.

With my research and going through forums here is what I found. It seems like the Etron is only getting 160-200 miles of range at best. If that is a issue, then it knocks it out. However, the Audi (to me has the nicest interior) has a much better Infotainment system as far as reliable features. While TESLA infotainment is reliable and great maps it’s missing Satellite radio and apple car play and android auto so your stuck with Tesla’s infotainment options which are limited. If you don’t care about those infotainment options, HUD or like the interior of the Model 3, then I would go back towards the Tesla or I-Pace. The Etron will not be as quick as the iPace or TESLA but it’s still respectable at around 5.5 seconds and with the immediate torque, it seems faster. It’s just a heavier drive.

You should consider the iPace if you really want the quicker speed and sportier ride. It also seems to be getting more range then the Audi. However, the Infotainment system (while it has all of the same features as the Audi) is really slow and laggy. Do not be fooled, Jaguar is not going to fix this problem, as many other Jaguars and land rovers use the same system and those are also laggy (but not as bad). If you do not think you will mind the lagginess, like the interior and can afford the car and because you have a better charging network the we do on the States, I would go with the iPace over the Tesla. I went with the Tesla because we have more super chargers, best bang for the buck with what I was willing to spend and I am a tech guy and like the idea of getting software updates on a system that is pretty solid but may not have all of the phone integration.

Hope this helps.

Oh and I forgot, if auto pilot features are important, then you can’t beat the Tesla. However, I feel like if your looking for a sporty ride, then I would want to drive the car versus auto pilot features. If your going long distances then I see more value in those features. I think at a minimum stop/go ACC is a must which they all have and is pretty reliable.

Oh and I forgot, if auto pilot features are important, then you can’t beat the Tesla. However, I feel like if your looking for a sporty ride, then I would want to drive the car versus auto pilot features. If your going long distances then I see more value in those features. I think at a minimum stop/go ACC is a must which they all have and is pretty reliable.
I feel like you totally get me.

I'm not even considering the E-Tron because as you say, it's heavier than the I-Pace and slower and has worse range. The only things going for it are interior space and quality. I briefly considered one, but the I-Pace is similarly priced and doesn't really lose out on anything VS the E-Tron other than the lagginess of its UI.

I don't anticipate that I'll have full autopilot in the Tesla because that would make it more expensive than the I-Pace and, as you say, I don't see the point in buying the Performance version of the Model 3 then having the car drive itself. Likewise, most of my driving wouldn't be compatible with autopilot anyway and I don't think we get the full feature set here in the UK that the US get.

To me, it's about deciding whether I want a Ferrari-fast car with up-to-date infotainment, or something a bit more plush and practical, which let's be honest, isn't exactly slow either. (I-Pace does 0-60 in 4.5secs.)

The other consideration is that the Tesla would be about GBP 100 (USD 126ish) cheaper than the I-Pace per month(based on no autopilot and the I-Pace being the top spec with some good extras) and the Tesla (weirdly) costs about the same per month on a 2 year lease as a 3 year lease, so I could lease the Tesla for a shorter period and see where things are in a couple of years.

• Disagree
Reactions: Snerruc
Does the Jag get OTA updates?
Yes. Although map updates have to be downloaded on a computer onto USB and updated that way, due to the size of the files.

That kinda thing doesn't bother me so much though, as I'm used to not getting updates for my cars, and a software update can't add privacy glass, air suspension or matrix headlights... The hardware ultimately is more important in a car.

There was a report some time ago that measured paint thicknesses on Teslas compared to other cars. They were comparable. Only some pickups had significantly more. The reports of rocker panel paint damage from Finland reflect harsh driving conditions. Some more protection would probably be desirable there. The iPace will be quieter and softer riding, that's all.

Reactions: Scott7
@RJUK I have had a lot of cars over many years, and although
my 2007 Honda Accord has had zero issues in 150k miles, I
have never had a car I loved as much as my Model 3. People
go in for warranty to correct little things, but that's not trouble.
Personally, I've had nothing to complain about on the car. It's
not designed as a Bentley, it's way more spartan, but wow.
The closest I've driven, many years ago, was a Porsche 928.

I wouldn't skimp on the automation. It's a long topic, but this
is Tesla's strength. Even for UK roads. Nobody else can touch
it. I'd take the whole package if you are buying, because the
FSD now gives you NOA with lane change etc, but more
features will be added as they are developed and tested.
The basic Autopilot is like half a cup of tea now.

On a lease, it's more complicated, but I would anyway.

It takes weeks to learn how and when to best use the
automation, it's not like you turn it on and go to sleep, you
go in and out of autopilot modes depending on conditions,
sometimes several times in a minute. But once you learn it,
it's a whole different world. In NOA on a motorway, talk
about comfort!

As to the "Full Self Driving? really? when?" issue it's a red
herring. The automation is incrementally getting stronger,
nobody can predict what will be working and legal when,
but there's no real end-point. Enjoy your Model 3, you will.

Last edited: