Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering swapping my M3P for a Lotus Eletre. What will I miss?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The one I returned still hasn't been sold. The dealer had quite a few sat around. They ain't been shifting but that's like a lot of EV's right now, I do think they'll sell a lot of them with this new 0% offer though as it's very compelling.

It's a lovely car in theory once they sort everything out but Lotus are a nightmare to deal with. You can see that if you look on the Facebook Owners page. For anyone that things Tesla is bad, I just don't think you've seen real bad.

Probably the most comfortable car I've had and I've had 7 series limo's, the suspension travel and comfort there is extremely well done (This is judging on an R with all options that would affect this). The rear wheel steering does make it turn around in a space you'd think not possible. It looks great inside and out and people will come to look at it. It definitely seems special inside.

Just wasn't good as a car for me. The HVAC would pack up and be blowing cold air after a while when it's already winter, the range estimates from the Sat Nav were awfully inaccurate so couldn't trust it. It's selection of working out charging stops woeful and well I could just go on, a lot of issues. I don't believe they've got the subwoofers sorted properly yet, they fixed it in one update and then broke it again in another apparently so it sounds awful. You'll be fine if you have the base option, this is the upgraded Reference one.

Safety point on an R but don't floor it even with traction control on without checking nothing to your sides because it almost certainly won't fire you off in a straight line. Expect torque steer and fish tailing at the same time.

Last point but incase you missed it... It's massive. Long wheel base 7 series kind of long but far wider. Not sure what you can compare it with on width, it's wider than cars you might already think are wide like a Range Rover by quite a bit. Unless you've got a Morris Minor in each bay beside you, your ability to park it in a lot of UK parking spots with cars beside you and open the doors is slim. I've managed just fine with a lot of 5 and longer metre cars but the width I think is actually too much. The Emeya is more Range Rover width so if you want a Lotus and don't have to have an SUV, that's the one to pick. I suspect also might have some of the gremlins that hit the Eletre resolved.

Did Lotus sort the matrix lights yet? Were some horror stories on here (possibly @FastLaneJB - apologies if not) about dazzling oncoming drivers.

No I don't believe this is resolved yet, I keep an eye on the Facebook group for the car. You'll need to turn it off and use the high beams like it's 1999, manually ;)

This if it's still being updated is a good list of issues.

Lotus Eletre - Community Manual

250 + is fine.

About the same overall range as my myp when you factor in the bigger battery
You won't get 250 + out of an Eletre R, that wasn't an R that Harry was testing. 254 miles is the WLTP range and we all know how likely you are to get WLTP. I had a stock car which came with the Corsa tyres, those won't help so avoid those like the plague. They'd aqua plane in rain everyone else was having no issues going faster than me. 10 - 12C when I had mine but best I could get was around 180 miles pro rata if you run it from full to empty. That's in range mode driving like a granny so guess in warmer weather maybe 220 - 230 if you are lucky.

Last edited:
The one I returned still hasn't been sold. The dealer had quite a few sat around. They ain't been shifting but that's like a lot of EV's right now, I do think they'll sell a lot of them with this new 0% offer though as it's very compelling.

It's a lovely car in theory once they sort everything out but Lotus are a nightmare to deal with. You can see that if you look on the Facebook Owners page. For anyone that things Tesla is bad, I just don't think you've seen real bad.

Probably the most comfortable car I've had and I've had 7 series limo's, the suspension travel and comfort there is extremely well done (This is judging on an R with all options that would affect this). The rear wheel steering does make it turn around in a space you'd think not possible. It looks great inside and out and people will come to look at it. It definitely seems special inside.

Just wasn't good as a car for me. The HVAC would pack up and be blowing cold air after a while when it's already winter, the range estimates from the Sat Nav were awfully inaccurate so couldn't trust it. It's selection of working out charging stops woeful and well I could just go on, a lot of issues. I don't believe they've got the subwoofers sorted properly yet, they fixed it in one update and then broke it again in another apparently so it sounds awful. You'll be fine if you have the base option, this is the upgraded Reference one.

Safety point on an R but don't floor it even with traction control on without checking nothing to your sides because it almost certainly won't fire you off in a straight line. Expect torque steer and fish tailing at the same time.

Last point but incase you missed it... It's massive. Long wheel base 7 series kind of long but far wider. Not sure what you can compare it with on width, it's wider than cars you might already think are wide like a Range Rover by quite a bit. Unless you've got a Morris Minor in each bay beside you, your ability to park it in a lot of UK parking spots with cars beside you and open the doors is slim. I've managed just fine with a lot of 5 and longer metre cars but the width I think is actually too much. The Emeya is more Range Rover width so if you want a Lotus and don't have to have an SUV, that's the one to pick. I suspect also might have some of the gremlins that hit the Eletre resolved.

No I don't believe this is resolved yet, I keep an eye on the Facebook group for the car. You'll need to turn it off and use the high beams like it's 1999, manually ;)

This if it's still being updated is a good list of issues.

Lotus Eletre - Community Manual

You won't get 250 + out of an Eletre R, that wasn't an R that Harry was testing. 254 miles is the WLTP range and we all know how likely you are to get WLTP. I had a stock car which came with the Corsa tyres, those won't help so avoid those like the plague. They'd aqua plane in rain everyone else was having no issues going faster than me. 10 - 12C when I had mine but best I could get was around 180 miles pro rata if you run it from full to empty. That's in range mode driving like a granny so guess in warmer weather maybe 220 - 230 if you are lucky.

I was getting that in an extended test drive so I’m happy. The corsas are annoying as I have them in my row configured car. I’ll see how they play out but I’m prob going to have to change them. About £1500 for a set though.

The benefits outweigh the negatives, especially at the point compared to Tesla. If model x plaid came in rhd I’d have gone that direction.

I’ve said it before but if I’d put that £60k into Tesla shares back in 2020 I’d be considerably better off.
Only if you got in before Nov 2020. More or less anytime after that and you would be worse off.

Screenshot 2024-06-22 at 16.38.24.png

That’s the reason I didn’t go for it but more so length than width. The software issues would have driven me nuts.

I’ve blindly opted for the Porsche Macan Turbo. It’s a reasonable length and Porsche have learnt from the Taycan. I get the sense that the Macan is more hot-hatch than SUV, though I’ll find out next year!

Reactions: M3P_W8
If you are looking at economics, simply keeping your Tesla for another year would be best financially. After another year, take another look at what is available. Tesla Model 3 Performance is a dependable and fun ride.

If you are buying for emotional reasons the Lotus could be your new love, or a fresh nightmare.

Clearly I could hold onto it for longer to make the maths more favourable, but I'm getting itchy for something new so it feels like leasing is the right option for me.

The itchy to change something new every few years is the biggest cost of any car, lease/cash/PCP, our cars are now 7, 9, years old, I cannot see us changing cars till 2030 at the earliest. If ‘depreciation’ your main concern than getting a new car paid for in any form makes no sense. However if you are looking for man maths as an excuse to swap cars just because you want to its a different matter :).

Personally I would be looking at either iX or Cayenne as the next purchase.

The itchy to change something new every few years is the biggest cost of any car, lease/cash/PCP, our cars are now 7, 9, years old, I cannot see us changing cars till 2030 at the earliest. If ‘depreciation’ your main concern than getting a new car paid for in any form makes no sense. However if you are looking for man maths as an excuse to swap cars just because you want to its a different matter :).

Personally I would be looking at either iX or Cayenne as the next purchase.
If depreciation was my main concern I'd buy used vehicles and flip them regularly.

I like a shiny brand new vehicle every 3 to 4 years and I don't like the hassle of selling privately to maximise resale price (I always PX or use Motorway). I realise that might not seem sensible to some, but to over-use cliches, you only live once and time is precious!

If I were to sell my M3P today for the current £25.5k Motorway valuation it would have cost £34.5k over 36 months, or £960 per month.

I've received a lease offer today through Carwow for a Lotus Eletre R (which I could not afford to buy at £121k!) for 36 months for £5.5k down and £913 per month at 15,000 miles per year. Total cost = £37.5k

So I can drive a £121k car for 3 years for just £3k more than it cost to drive my M3P for 3 years......and have £20k remaining from the M3P sale to invest somewhere it can grow.

Where's the man maths?

I was getting that in an extended test drive so I’m happy. The corsas are annoying as I have them in my row configured car. I’ll see how they play out but I’m prob going to have to change them. About £1500 for a set though.

The benefits outweigh the negatives, especially at the point compared to Tesla. If model x plaid came in rhd I’d have gone that direction.
Just be aware that like in the Tesla, the range it shows in the dash is not based on your driving. It’s the WLTP range. If you are going off what it says in the energy consumption on a trip, that isn’t accurate in my experience either. I think it’s only counting the energy to turn the wheels but not other drains in the car. I did some maths on it a few times and the battery seems to drain somewhat quicker than what it should based on that chart.

If you are happy with the range though then all good. Above all else that was my biggest but near as we almost ran out of charge a couple of times despite being told we’d get to destination with say 20% left.

Most of the issues are software so they’ll hopefully sort them anyway sooner or later. We don’t have a lot of choice here sadly, Plaid Model S was my one want but wasn’t to be.

@FastLaneJB , if you were offered a free Tesla MYP or Lotus Eletre (and your not allowed to sell it!) which would you pick?
Good question. I’ve obviously brought a Model 3 Highland partly because after the hassle with Tesla I just want a break from risky cars to recover and there wasn’t much I actually felt that would be a good choice at the moment. I can hand this to my wife if I want in 1.5 years when her Model 3 lease is up (Assuming she’ll take it without stalks which I’m not sure).

If you are keeping long term then you could maybe risk the Eletre. It is more car than the MYP and will feel more special. For folks where this deal is getting them a car far beyond what they might normally then go for it, you only live once. What you’ve got to accept is it doesn’t work as well as a Tesla at the moment. You probably won’t notice on a test drive as I didn’t but will once you own it.

When I was financing it and then handing it back, I’m paying for hardware and features that just didn’t work. Maybe they’d work in 6 months, maybe 1 year, maybe never in the time I owned it. It’s kind of how the folks who paid for FSD probably feel. You pay upfront and then at some point you might get what you paid for but no timeline given.

They also don’t really know how to fix them yet, there’s many that have what shouldn’t be major issues without their cars for a very long time, I’m not the only person that’s rejected one on the Facebook group.

Reactions: M3P_W8
Interesting video. Has LIDAR and phantom breaking.
Yeah. You have to pay £1500 (Unless they’ve changed it) to get effectively autopilot. If you don’t then you’ve just got adaptive cruise control.

The Lidar would pop out as you could hear it but it wasn’t trust worthy at staying in a lane. You can steer while it’s on which does help let you dodge the odd pothole better but the issue is that it didn’t seem to know if you were steering it or the wind. So on a few windy days, get a gust of wind and it’ll literally blow the car out of the lane. It wasn’t nearly as good as Tesla either on calm days. Lot of money for something you just end up not using.

Maybe they’ve improved it by now. The emergency throw you through the windscreen if you didn’t put your seat belt on test will shock you when that happens. Many complain on that so you’d hope that one gets fixed quicker. Apparently like many of the bugs, it’s fine in LHD countries but they’ve not adapted it for RHD so it thinks things are going to hit the car when they aren’t.

Reactions: init6
If I were to sell my M3P today for the current £25.5k Motorway valuation it would have cost £34.5k over 36 months, or £960 per month.

I've received a lease offer today through Carwow for a Lotus Eletre R (which I could not afford to buy at £121k!) for 36 months for £5.5k down and £913 per month at 15,000 miles per year. Total cost = £37.5k

So I can drive a £121k car for 3 years for just £3k more than it cost to drive my M3P for 3 years......and have £20k remaining from the M3P sale to invest somewhere it can grow.

Where's the man maths?

You start of with 3k down over 3 years
You assume that running costs will be equal over the next 3 years
You assume that your m3p will be worth -3k in the next 3 years
You assume that your 20k investment at whatever rate between now and then will make you some profit over the next 3 years.
You assume that your circumstances will not change in the next 3 years.

There is your man maths and nothing wrong with it if you are investing in yourself with a positive attitude :)

If depreciation was my main concern I'd buy used vehicles and flip them regularly.

I like a shiny brand new vehicle every 3 to 4 years and I don't like the hassle of selling privately to maximise resale price (I always PX or use Motorway). I realise that might not seem sensible to some, but to over-use cliches, you only live once and time is precious!

Where's the man maths?
Just be mindful Tesla don’t have any real service requirements from the manufacture. Lotus leases and pcp etc require dealer servicing which is £700 a pop or £2000 for 3 years worth. That adds significant cost.

Lotus is slightly more to run on elec.

The lotus tyres are also huge etc and expensive. £1500 for all 4 corners compared to £1000.

I’ve gone lotus but you probably need to add another £1-1.5k a year running costs on.

You assume that running costs will be equal over the next 3 years

There is something about the current Cayenne GT Turbo that calls out to me, I can probably just about stomach the asking price on the basis the car would be kept for 10 years+, but a real life mpg of 15mpg = nearly 45p per mile in fuel, versus ‘free’ when using SCs on our X. Fuel/running costs of EVs are tiny compared to combustion cars, it’s probably the main reason I cannot bring my self to go back to ICE.