Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current TM3 build quality?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1000000% agree.

Same here. My M3P (delivered 9/13) is fine other than the non-working repeater camera; paint is good, gaps are good, one small rattle (just like my BMWs LOL) and most of all its build quality is as good and possibly better than my 2012 335i purchased new in 2012. Far less "squeak factor" on the interior of my M3P vs my BMWs so right now I rate my Tesla above my BMWs.

Regardless of manufacturer, if you spin it in your brain long enough, look long enough and hard enough you will find something. That said, my neighbor has a 2018 M3LR and the fit and finish is clearly improved on mine FWIW so yes it has improved.

Unless it is something glaring and obviously bad, just enjoy the car.

• Funny
Reactions: cucubits
For the record, I'm saying that I am buying a M3P, regardless of the service stats. It's just a way better vehicle in my mind, and the only one I would consider owning.

But in terms of how does Tesla rank for consistent quality, based on actual statistics vs other automakers. They obviously have more issues per vehicle.

That shouldn't be surprising. They have made cars for a very limited time by comparison, and at a far lower volume.

I'm sure the consistency will gradually improve as they refine their processes and build more vehicles. But right now they are one of the worst.

I also don't really care. In absolute terms, they still aren't that bad, and their vehicles are unmatched in all the areas I care about.

It’s table stakes, though. No one would agree to buy a new iPhone competitor at $1000 if it didn’t have a decent screen, for example, or the glass was scratched, etc. Yes, no one inspects BMW’s, Lexus, etc., but they have focused for years on quality so if their reputations are carrying them now, they have earned it.

That said, my 2020 SR+ (Late Sept delivery) was fantastic, didn’t notice any issue...my daughter and I went over it slowly before I handed over a check. The repeater died and had to be replaced, but other than that...no issues...

The last 7 years BMW just passed 200k i3 units.

Chevy Bolt battery troubles

NHTSA, the US American Federal Highway and Vehicle Safety Administration launched an investigation in response to complaints about Chevrolet Bolt electric cars catching fire. Again, there appears to be a problem with the batteries.

Ford Kuga hybrid battery problems persist

Ford apparently can’t get the battery problems of the Kuga PHEV under control. After the manufacturer stopped sales of the part-time electric vehicle in August due to concerns about battery overheating, Ford is now recalling all Kuga models with plug-in hybrid drive to garages across Europe.

Recall of 2,000 Polestar 2 electric cars confirmed

Following reports of problems with the all-electric Polestar 2 after deliveries started a few weeks ago, Polestar confirmed that they detected “a software error in the battery power control module, which, in very rare cases and without warning can lead to a loss of drive”.
BMW recalls multiple PHEV models

BMW again has a problem with the high-voltage batteries in plug-in hybrid vehicles. Due to possible impurities in the production process of the battery cells, there is an increased risk of fire in several series.

Hyundai recalls 25,000 Kona models in Korea

In South Korea, Hyundai has had to recall around 25,000 Kona Electric for a faulty battery part. This follows around 13 incidents involving the LG Chem batteries of Kona electric cars. It is unclear if other markets are affected as well.

Last edited: