Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current TM3 build quality?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had looked at getting an early TM3P but wound up deciding against it due to assembly quality concerns. The newest round of refreshes to the TM3 got me interested again. I’m curious if the build quality has stabilized or if folks are still seeing paint/panel/assembly problems. My expectation is that things would have improved as the company gets more experience but a concerning number of the TMYs I see in person have readily visible problems. Not sure if this is the case on the TM3.

Out of the 4 Teslas in my family none have have bad quality builds. My last Tesla was a 2020 SR+ and the car was perfect. My parents had a slightly unaligned trim piece on their door but they decided they it didn't bother them enough to fix. I did try to find imperfections in our ICE cars and they had several. I just never noticed. Buy the car. If you don't like it decline it. Don't let a possibility stop you from getting your favorite future car.

Well I guess we need to decide what is a defect. Every car has defects, and the owner or buyer
has to decide what is normal manufacturing tolerance and what is way off. To do this correctly
you would have to look at 1000's of cars from the same/different manufactures pre and post sale.
This changes day to day and week to week. I remember my dad saying "never buy a Friday car or
Monday car" something about drinking and hangovers.
If you are that concerned go walk around car lots and just compare them, and report back
with pictures please.

Reactions: pension
That survey shows that BMW averages about 1.7 issues per car, while Tesla averages about 2.5. In other words ~2 problems per car each.

Averaged out over thousands of vehicles, 2.5 is significantly above 1.7.

Looking at this chart, it's hard to argue that Tesla isn't the worst for quality. Worse even than the lowest on the chart by a further 10%.

That said, I'm still getting a M3P in a few weeks. I'll just be going over it in the most detail I can before accepting it.

Well I do not care what jack daniels survey says. It does not compare EV
to EV cars. With Ford batteries burning up as well as GM, lets not forget
Audi. You cannot compare millions's of cars to 500k. Sorry math does not work
that way. Sorta like saying that a Leaf is a better car just because of fit and finish.

... 2.5 is significantly above 1.7....

I would argue the opposite, as either situation likely requires a single visit to the service center to rectify.

Now, if it were 10 (or even 5) problems vs. 2, THAT would be significant - but "slightly less than 2 vs. slightly more than 2" doesn't make a hill of beans difference to the experience in real life.

By all means, look over your new car carefully at delivery, and enjoy it once it's yours!

Out of the 4 Teslas in my family none have have bad quality builds. My last Tesla was a 2020 SR+ and the car was perfect. My parents had a slightly unaligned trim piece on their door but they decided they it didn't bother them enough to fix. I did try to find imperfections in our ICE cars and they had several. I just never noticed. Buy the car. If you don't like it decline it. Don't let a possibility stop you from getting your favorite future car.

So if the car has issues at delivery, the solution is to turn it down and (1) wait 5-10 weeks for another one or (2) go buy from another brand? Seems crazy to me.

Well mine was a late 2019/early 2020. Perfect shape and I do know a little
about cars. There were about 100 of them there, I looked over as many as I could,
sorta cold misty day. They were all fine and thats after shipping around the world.
Most stuff should be minor and can be fixed. Its just a common sense thing.
If you find a zombe hand under the paint, well ......

I’m not going to buy a Dodge or a Kia because some survey claims they have fewer problems. We have owned two Model 3’s now for almost 2 years and have had zero issues with build quality or reliability. The best way to avoid these issues is to be very thorough during the pre-purchase inspection and just reject the car if you find issues with it that you deem unacceptable. We rejected two cars over the past two years because of cosmetic issues. We just waited for another one to become available and within a few weeks the next car that showed up was just fine.

People buy a Tesla because they are attracted to the uniqueness of the car. EV power, technology, carbon footprint, etc. Tesla has not been around nearly as long as other car manufacturers so they are still on a learning curve regarding built quality. But I think the topic gets overblown in the media and on these forums. People take caliper measurements of body gap panels because they heard there are issues with them on Tesla vehicles. But they have been driving around in their Audis, MBZ, and BMW vehicles for years without even giving a second thought as to looking for uneven panel gaps because nobody told them to look for them.

But I think the topic gets overblown in the media and on these forums. People take caliper measurements of body gap panels because they heard there are issues with them on Tesla vehicles. But they have been driving around in their Audis, MBZ, and BMW vehicles for years without even giving a second thought as to looking for uneven panel gaps because nobody told them to look for them.

1000000% agree.