Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Custom Enhanced Diffuser (+Downforce?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems to me that the side fences of the diffuser do most of the work keeping turbulent air from the rear tires away from the diffuser. All the companies selling mud flaps should look into mounting their durable plastic BESIDE the rear tires (parallel to them) instead of BEHIND them. Alternatively, they could make some vortex generators that stick to the rear corners of the battery with 3M tape.

They should also look into making rear diffuser extenders. A simple three inch wide piece of plastic that extends the top edge of the diffuser would increase the total diffuser volume AND change the way air above the diffuser merges with underbody airflow.

I made another (less aggressive) one!

Attachments

• IMG_20200110_124557.jpg
    IMG_20200110_124557.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 263
When did you get it? I've been waiting since July. They sent an update in August and are not replying to emails.

I ordered two. One in April (received late December) and one in July (ETA 2-4 weeks). So you're probably in the 2-4 weeks boat.

Honestly, just reach out to the owner Ben. I hate to say it but no one else responds and you just end up wasting your time and getting frustrated for no reason. He is great.

This required a lot of extra work and time, but I was able to do one for use with a trailer hitch!

I'll throw up some installed photos when I have time to put it on.

Attachments

• IMG_20200122_114106.jpg
    IMG_20200122_114106.jpg
    585.4 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_20200122_114012.jpg
    IMG_20200122_114012.jpg
    623.1 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_20200122_114116.jpg
    IMG_20200122_114116.jpg
    636.7 KB · Views: 221
While waiting for my Unplugged Performance Front Lip & High Downforce Trunk Spoiler to arrive, I wanted to address the final component in the aerodynamics of the Model 3, which to me seemed to be the diffuser.

Now, as we know, Tesla has done a very good job with the stock underbody. It is effectively flat, and the rear diffuser already has a decent angle/expansion chamber towards the trailing end to convert low pressure into high pressure and create downforce. The one area that seemed to be lacking was vertical fins to reduce turbulent air.

Therefore, I set out to add vertical fins to the rear diffuser, in theory reducing the turbulent air and enhancing the positive affects of the diffuser. In the end, I think it looks well and should achieve the goal. When combined with the other aerodynamic bits, the affects should be compounded. The advantage to a diffuser as opposed to something like canards is it generally increases downforce without creating lots of drag (basically a solid downforce-drag ratio). Let me know what you think, photos attached!

I have a quick question, I will be installing a rear diffuser made by a place called Revozport.com. Before I get into installing it I'd to have as much detail as possible regarding what to expect and how to remove the rear underbody panel and reinstall it. I'm be very grateful for any steps or advice you may have before I start my installation. Thx, Don

I have a quick question, I will be installing a rear diffuser made by a place called Revozport.com. Before I get into installing it I'd to have as much detail as possible regarding what to expect and how to remove the rear underbody panel and reinstall it. I'm be very grateful for any steps or advice you may have before I start my installation. Thx, Don

Hey Don, the easiest way to remove the rear lower diffuser is to remove the rear bumper cover. It's not too hard.

Remove both tail lights (8mm nuts), remove the 10mm nuts located under the tail lights. Remove the T25 screws from the edges of the bumper cover. Be very careful with the nuts that the T25 screws bolt into, they can easily scratch the quarter panel. I would set them aside until after the bumper cover is otherwise fully re-installed.

Then there are several 10mm bolts underneath the bumper cover that attach the rear diffuser to the body of the car. At this point the bumper should come off, you will need to disconnect the rear bumper harness before being able to set it down.

Once it is off, there are plastic clips and a few 10mm bolts that hold the diffuser to the lower bumper trim and bumper.

• Informative
Reactions: kbecks13
Keep in mind what Tesla calls the 'diffuser' is not what you would normally associate with that name. Consult the service manual for a relatively good bumper, rear splash guard and diffuser removal and reinstalp guide, showing all that MasterC17 outlined.

Revo sport parts look great but are a PITA to install. Fairly heavy (far more than the OE counterpart), rigid, with tabs that require trimming to seat and fit with OE insertion points as well as holes that need to be drilled to mate up to the rear wheel well liner trim clips.

Re-seating the rear bumper skin/cover is also an art (ideally a two-three person job).

Can you fudge it? Sure. Will it end up looking and holding up as if you did. Most likely.

Wow you made those? Those are the best looking ones I've seen. Keep posting, especially after you get your UP parts. You are on the same mission as me. After driving my car all over the LA freeways at high speed, I really though more downforce would be an excellent upgrade. Kbecks also highly recommended UP sway bars as a great cost effective suspension mod that had a large impact on performance.

Reactions: ra88it