Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Custom Enhanced Diffuser (+Downforce?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used two - 22" x 21" ABS Universal Rear Bumper 4 Fins Diffuser

Can be found on eBay or AliExpress
Ah, so you chopped up something that was meant to be installed on a Honda/Acura body, or something? Left enough of the flat plate to be able to bolt onto the inside of the Model 3's rear shield, with the fins sticking out through cuts you made. Then black silicon to seal. Okay, that makes more sense looking at how this was put together.

Did you consider using aluminum instead? Or you didn't have ready access to a brake to bend a 90 at the top, and maybe a 90 lip at the bottom to create even better aero curtains along the bottom edge? Or did you just think the ABS would be better looking longterm, and ultimately at least as durable?

Ah, so you chopped up something that was meant to be installed on a Honda/Acura body, or something? Left enough of the flat plate to be able to bolt onto the inside of the Model 3's rear shield, with the fins sticking out through cuts you made. Then black silicon to seal. Okay, that makes more sense looking at how this was put together.

Did you consider using aluminum instead? Or you didn't have ready access to a brake to bend a 90 at the top, and maybe a 90 lip at the bottom to create even better aero curtains along the bottom edge? Or did you just think the ABS would be better looking longterm, and ultimately at least as durable?

You got it! Yeah, I prefer the ABS, it blends in and looks like it's supposed to be there. Aluminum would stick out like a sore thumb.

8162F32F-78E3-49E0-9407-0519C467269D.jpeg
I wonder if Unplugged Performance/T Sportline/RPM Tesla would do this if we got a group buy organized.
Vorsteiner is doing this with two versions of carbon fiber diffuser. The track version cost $2695 and extend pretty high over the bumper.

Vorsteiner is doing this with two versions of carbon fiber diffuser. The track version cost $2695 and extend pretty high over the bumper.

Looks nice, if a bit aggressive. I wonder what the Standard variant will look like. I'm looking for something like OP's creation, that fits in the stock cutout of the bumper, in a matte carbon fiber to match the stock Performance spoiler.

Down force, or any form of aerodynamic lift is not produced by "converting" low pressure into high pressure. Lift/down force (any aerodynamic force) is produced by pressure differential. Think high pressure under a wing, low pressure over a wing, high pressure wants to move towards the low pressure and the wing is in the way. This is why wings don't work in space.

Unless you are increasing the angle of attack or increase the size of the "void" of the diffuser, you are not creating extra downforce.

Adding strakes does not itself produce smoother, less turblent flow. Strakes are used to "manage" flow on aggressive diffusers found in motorsports. With aggressive or abrupt changes in flow direction or speed, the flow deteriorates and detaches from the body leading to a drag penalty. Without making physical changes to the diffuser, adding strakes only adds drags (yes, drag) to an already optimized aerodynamic design. At best you have only the inherit drag from have a 3 dimensional disturbance in a path of otherwise laminar flow. At worst, your strake angles are not parallel to the flow direction and you now have vortex generators creating additional drag penalties with no gain.

Adding carbon fiber and "aero bits" does not make your car better. I'm sorry but snake oil aero bothers me.